The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

I haven't read the whole thread, but these are a few I love (that no one ever seems to know about, leading me to believe they are 'small'.... or I need to get out more.) Apologies if they have already been suggested.

- Billy Elliott (an all time favorite)
    - TiMER (this one probably skews a little young, but it is sweet and thought provoking with some funny moments)
    - Waiting for Forever
    - Romantics Anonymous (French)
    - Queen to Play (also French)

I had surgery earlier this year and spent a good bit of time cooped up in the house with nothing but Netflix to amuse me. ;-)

Lonely Are the Brave, can't watch it, but have always wanted a horse named Whiskey.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Larksmom View Post
    Now this is certainly not a small movie, but I don't know how it has worn, and if some of you youngsters haven't seen it, but Fiddler on the Roof was on yesterday, and I watched the first half. GREAT music. GREAT dancing. The Cossacks at the bar, and the 'bottle dancers' at the wedding! wow! Funny thing about that movie and Romeo and Juliet. I was, ahem, much younger when they were released. With R& J, I was about 14. I was reading it in English, and could recite most of it by heart. When I got older, I could see the parents point of view. Same with Fiddler. I was irreligous at the time, so of course, I saw the parents as old fogies. When I watch it now with strong faith, I wonder what I would do if my child wanted to marry out of my faith.
    Another 'not small" favorite is the original Music Man
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Quote Originally Posted by Kachina View Post
    Another one I loved, but have not seen for years, I can't even remember the title:Kirk Douglas is a cowboy, at the end of his life, and the end of that way of life...really, really moving.
    LONELY ARE THE BRAVE I think. Riveting.[/QUOTE]

And heartbreaking. I cried my eyes out the first time I saw it, don't know if I could see it again.
    A FINE ROMANCE - JC Reg Thoroughbred - GOLD Premium CSHA - ISR/OLDNA Approved
    CSHA Brickenden Stallion Award Winner - for Performance offspring.
    Please visit A Fine Romance on FB!

Quote Originally Posted by Larksmom View Post
    Now this is certainly not a small movie, but I don't know how it has worn, and if some of you youngsters haven't seen it, but Fiddler on the Roof was on yesterday, and I watched the first half. GREAT music. GREAT dancing. The Cossacks at the bar, and the 'bottle dancers' at the wedding! wow! Funny thing about that movie and Romeo and Juliet. I was, ahem, much younger when they were released. With R& J, I was about 14. I was reading it in English, and could recite most of it by heart. When I got older, I could see the parents point of view. Same with Fiddler. I was irreligous at the time, so of course, I saw the parents as old fogies. When I watch it now with strong faith, I wonder what I would do if my child wanted to marry out of my faith.
    ah Larksmom, Romeo and Juliet, such an incredible, sumptuous production, with actual perfectly beautiful 'teenagers' playing the leads.
    I think I am the same age as you, and was spellbound.

I hope you don't mind if I tell a personal story, re Fiddler on the Roof. I used to review movies and plays on a radio show, live.
    I had gone to see a production of Fiddler and in the Cossack scene one of the Cossacks did a handspring off the stage into the pit.
    He was ok, and the play proceeded.

AFTERWARDS, I found this hysterically funny, and when it came time to go do my radio show, I told my mum: " I just hope he doesn't ask me anything that makes me think about the cossack..."

Well. of course he did. And there was just dead air while I choked with laughter, laughing even harder because I knew my mum and sisters were listening, and laughing too.

My career in live radio was short-lived.

Quote Originally Posted by carolprudm View Post
    Have to go do the barn so I hope these haven't been mentioned
    "Hopscotch" and "Housecalls" with Walter Matthau
    Big Wednesday
    Simon Birch
    Thank you for mentioning Hopscotch! Walter Matthau is one of my all time favorite actors and I have thought about some scenes from Hopscotch, but forgot the name of the movie (idle thoughts where I wasn't near the computer to look it up) so I'm glad you brought it up. Now I can see if it's on Netflix streaming.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteyPie View Post
    Thank you for mentioning Hopscotch!
    Hopscotch was a hoot! Another hilarious romp is Serial, with Martin Mull, Tuesday Weld, Bill Macy, Sally Kellerman, and others (can't remember them all).

And a sobering one from the same era (1980-1981) is Das Boat, about a German U-Boat crew. I am not sure it qualifies as a "small movie", though.

Lars and the Real Girl

Default scary movie fans...

I responded earlier in the thread (and earlier in the year!) but if you like scary/dark humor type of movies, check out "The Loved Ones". I just saw it the other day and I really liked it. The actors carried the low-budgetness superbly!
    Proud member of the Colbert Dressage Nation

A TOUCH OF CLASS with Glenda Jackson and George Segal

SHAKESPEARE IN LOVE scripted by Tom Stoppard-probably disqualified from being a small movie because it won the Oscar, but it was not big budget

people have mentioned GALAXY QUEST-so funny and smart

VICTOR/VICTORIA by Blake Edwards-hysterical

Quote Originally Posted by MyGiantPony View Post
    Not sure if it was mentioned, but Perfume, The Story of a Murderer...creepy.

I mean seriously creepy. But excellent. I watched it probably 2 years ago, and sometimes it still sneaks up on me and creeps me out.
    I've never seen the movie but I read the book, years and years ago, and LOVED it . Soooo creepy, but beautifully written.

Re: Johnny Depp, I loved all the "small" movies he was in when he was not as known. What's eating Gilbert Grapes, Benny and June, and yes, Chocolat with Juliette Binoche....all were great.

Another one that I loved, is The Fall. I don't remember who plays in it, but it is visually beautiful, poetic, and there are horses in it.

The Gods Must be Crazy...Sooo funny!

Also, The Spanish Apartment. A classic.
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

Quote Originally Posted by tikihorse2 View Post
    "Enchanted April", yes! And "A Room with a View", and "Howard's End"! Can you tell I like Merchant-Ivory?
    I have to add Enchanted April to my list.
    I loved A Room with a View too with the young Helena Bonham Carter.

and speaking of HBC, I (like so many people) loved The King's Speech.
    I'm sure it can't be considered small though considering all the Oscars it won.
    But it was lovely!

I only scrolled through 5 pages, but we saw "Moonrise Kingdom" this summer while vacationing up in Maine. Loved it! The director sets up each scene like it's on a stage. Really enjoyed it, it was well acted and very visually interesting.

As we were watching, son was sitting a few rows down, kind of slouching about, wasn't sure it was "his kind" of movie...Partly through, he shoots up in his seat-says "OMG, that's my Scout camp!" The movie was partially shot in RI, at my son' s Boy Scout camp...Camp Yagoog, one of the oldest Scout camps in the US... There were also scenes shot in the Arcadia camping area, where I trail ride...

1 members found this post helpful.

I'm waiting for Moonrise Kingdom to be released on Netflix as I will definitely be renting it.

I'm not sure if anyone mentioned The Diving Bell and the Butterfly. It's very uplifting and depressing at the same time. It's based on the memoir by a man who suffered a stroke and becomes completely paralyzed and unable to speak. Except he can still blink his eyes. He wrote the memoir by blinking his eyes when he heard the correct letter said aloud by his helper.

I just rented The Seventh Seal, which I've been meaning to watch for awhile. I've already seen Persona, which is a weird movie.

Has anyone mentioned the 2004 Spanish movie The Sea Inside starring Javier Bardem? The real-life story of Spaniard Ramon Sampedro, who fought a 30 year campaign in favor of euthanasia and his own right to die.

Something about this movie touched me so much that if I happen across it, I stop everything to watch it one more time.
    "Your best can be worn at any length"- Jason Mraz

Little Miss Sunshine.

Fargo.

Quote Originally Posted by TequilaMockingbird View Post
    I'm waiting for Moonrise Kingdom to be released on Netflix as I will definitely be renting it.
    I love this movie. I'm hoping it wins best picture.

I haven't read all the replies so I am sorry if these have already been mentioned:
    Moliere-great french film, made me cry
    The Woman in Black(?)-British film with Daniel Radcliffe, loved it
    The Orphanage-spanish film by Del Torro (I think)

we've got sand and rocks, and rocks and sand...

I just finished a wonderful film called: "Monsieur Lazhar" loveloveloved it! Then of course there is one of my all-time favorites: "Basqiat" about the artist. Amazing performance by David Bowie as Warhol. I forget if I've mention this one before but the movie: "Broken Wings" is one of my very favorites. Takes place in Haifa, and is about one night (or two) in the life of a family. Gripping. :-D
    The ninja monkeys are plotting my demise as we speak....

One of my small Indie favorites is "The Object of Beauty", starring John Malkovich & Andie MacDowell. Have it on dvd & really enjoy watching it.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0102573/

Another - although this one is REALLY strange is "Spider", starring Ralph Fiennes, Miranda Richardson, Gabriel Byrne, & Lynn Redgrave.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0278731/

"Citizen X" - an HBO made-for-tv movie starring Donald Sutherland & Stephen Rea. A true story about a Russian serial killer.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0112681/

And "Trojan Eddie", starring Stephan Rea & Richard Harris.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0117969/

There are definitely others, but these are the few that come immediately to mind.

Gee, can you tell that I'm a BIG Indie film fan??