The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Smile Favourite 'Small' Movies?

I am steadfastly trying to avoid reading and participating in the politics threads, and hoping to talk about something a little more fun....

There are some wonderful 'small' films out there, low budget/unpublicized - that are really good, funny, uplifting and worth seeing...if only we knew about them.

I saw one called 'The Trip' the other day on television. Odd,smart, funny and touching..

At the theatre we recently saw 'Salmon Fishing in Yemen'...and it too was sweet and funny.

Any others? Any more suggestions for what we should be on the lookout for?
    A FINE ROMANCE - JC Reg Thoroughbred - GOLD Premium CSHA - ISR/OLDNA Approved
    CSHA Brickenden Stallion Award Winner - for Performance offspring.
    Please visit A Fine Romance on FB!

ahhhhhhhh...i saw the trailers for salmon fishingwhen i took my grndson to a movie.....it looked great!....but, i never saw it listed locally, and i get to the movies about once every 5 yrs.........
    so, it's worth watching, if i can find it on dvd?

"Salmon Fishing on the Yemen" was really good! I have Dish satellite and it's currently one of their offerings. I didn't see it in the theatres. It came and went really quickly..probably due to the title! It was charming and sweet.

I don't know that "The Artist" qualified as a little movie since it won the Oscar, but not many people saw it. I loved it.

Default Do you like foreign movies?

I happen to love French and Italian movies. If you can find anything by Eric Rohmer, watch it! Especially Claire's knee, and Pauline at the Beach. I also like Boyfriends and Girlfriends, and Autumn Tale. These are very talky and not plot driven. Someone said You must see one, and if you like it, see them all. Italian movies, Il Postino, Cinema Paradiso, and Pan e Tulippi[?] Bread and Tulips are my faves, and of course the beautiful Life is Beautiful.
    If you have more Americanized tastes, you MUST see I wanna hold your hand, which is naturally about the Beatles, and 6 teens trying to get into the Ed Sullivan show to see them. Produced by Steven spielburg, it is sadly out of print but well worth seeing. This is my favorite comedy of all time.
    Another killer of threads

Quote Originally Posted by saddleup View Post
    "Salmon Fishing on the Yemen" was really good! I have Dish satellite and it's currently one of their offerings. I didn't see it in the theatres. It came and went really quickly..probably due to the title! It was charming and sweet.

I don't know that "The Artist" qualified as a little movie since it won the Oscar, but not many people saw it. I loved it.
    I agree, I think the title didn't help it - very charming and sweet.
    tallyho - definitely worth looking for.

I loved 'The Artist' too - I think I read somewhere that it had the lowest audience of any Best Picture winner.

Some more?

This is much older, but "Searching For Bobby Fisher" was a fabulous small movie. Not small, but a real old fashioned movie movie was "The Kings Speech"..I loved every minute of it.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Larksmom View Post
    I happen to love French and Italian movies. If you can find anything by Eric Rohmer, watch it! Especially Claire's knee, and Pauline at the Beach. I also like Boyfriends and Girlfriends, and Autumn Tale. These are very talky and not plot driven. Someone said You must see one, and if you like it, see them all. Italian movies, Il Postino, Cinema Paradiso, and Pan e Tulippi[?] Bread and Tulips are my faves, and of course the beautiful Life is Beautiful.
    If you have more Americanized tastes, you MUST see I wanna hold your hand, which is naturally about the Beatles, and 6 teens trying to get into the Ed Sullivan show to see them. Produced by Steven spielburg, it is sadly out of print but well worth seeing. This is my favorite comedy of all time.
    Ah, Larksmom - Il Postino, Cinema Paradiso - my FAVOURITES!! <3
    I have not seen Bread and Tulips but will look for it,thank you!
    I'll look for 'I Wanna (wanna?) Hold Your Hand' too...Amazon, here I come.
    Love The Beatles!

On the Beatles topic, kanother good one is Lonely Boy, about the teen life of (mostly) John Lennon, and of course Paul McCartny. Good movie. Gave me good insight, and I learned things I did not know.

Love foreign movies. My favorite is about a little boy who loses a pair of shoes that were meant to be taken to the cobbler for repair. The shoes belonged to his sister. Great movie. It's called Childred of Heaven. I highly recommend it.
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

I don't know if it's a small movie, but I loved "A Little Romance". It's old, of course, like me.

My favorite comedy ever is the "Smiles of a Summer Night".
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by tradewind View Post
    This is much older, but "Searching For Bobby Fisher" was a fabulous small movie. Not small, but a real old fashioned movie movie was "The Kings Speech"..I loved every minute of it.
    Thanks tradewind - I am making a list, and have added 'Searching For Bobby Fisher'.

I loved every minute of 'The King's Speech' too. Such perfect performances!

Quote Originally Posted by ParadoxFarm View Post
    On the Beatles topic, kanother good one is Lonely Boy, about the teen life of (mostly) John Lennon, and of course Paul McCartny. Good movie. Gave me good insight, and I learned things I did not know.

Love foreign movies. My favorite is about a little boy who loses a pair of shoes that were meant to be taken to the cobbler for repair. The shoes belonged to his sister. Great movie. It's called Childred of Heaven. I highly recommend it.
    Thank you Paradox - I hadn't heard of either of these either.
    On the list!

Quote Originally Posted by vineyridge View Post
    I don't know if it's a small movie, but I loved "A Little Romance". It's old, of course, like me.

My favorite comedy ever is the "Smiles of a Summer Night".
    I haven't heard of either of these either viney (and of course I love the title of 'A Little Romance'!

Another of my absolute favourites, both horse movies, are 'Into the West' (love love love it)
    and
    'Champions'about Bob Champion and Aldoniti.

I get weepy just thinking about them.

Default The King's Speech and Salmon fishing The Artist

I also have the Dish, and was given two free ppv movies. I wanted to get the artist, and I recorded it But I didn't watch it right away, and it disappeared! I was VERY busy in August, and didn't have a chance to rerecord it. Salmon fishing is showing, so I might get that. I was on the tier with all the great movies, and so snagged the Kings speech but I haven't yet watched it. I am mostly here at the puter, with my back turned to the tv, so I rarely actually watch a program.
    I aiways wanted to see the Artist, but I almost never go to the movies anymore.
    [And I LOVE small movies!]

A couple of Canadian films worth watching: Gunless and Paschenndale. Both star Paul Gross of Due South fame, and the second one he wrote and produced, pretty much on a shoestring budget.

ETA, there are several low budget but decent films shot locally by Corbin Bernson -one is Rust, the other three, I can't remember the titles
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

Quote Originally Posted by vineyridge View Post
    This is a wonderful movie. Directed by George Roy Hill (The Sting, Butch Cassidy, Slap Shot, Garp), starring a 12 year-old Diane Lane, set in Paris.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, I recommend The Friends of Eddie Coyle. This is Robert Mitchum at his best in one of the best crime films of the 70s.

I love small movies! Some of my faves:

• Local Hero
    • Hope and Glory
    • Kolya
    • Muriel's Wedding
    • Keeping Mum

I like Eric Rohmer too. Lots of good small movies come out of Europe and the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by Druid Acres View Post
    I love small movies! Some of my faves:

[LIST][*]Local Hero
    Local Hero is one of my favourite movies of all time. However, it was not intended as a 'small' movie. It was made by Warner Bros, at a time when the studios wanted to capitalize on the box-office successes of UK films like Chariots of Fire (David Puttnam was also the producer of LH). Unfortunately, the box office was not as hoped for, and studios were less-enthusiastic to fund this sort of quirky film.

Default Just thought of another

Return of the Seacaucus{?} Seven. Very Funny movie. It was made at the same time as The Big Chill and is the same sort of a movie without the big stars. It is a great movie.
    Also funny, my top three, but not small, The Blues Brothers, and 10.
    Another small movie was
    the Brother from Another Planet.
    And Koyanasqua-I can't spell it. Soundtrack by Phillip Glass, it means Life out of Balance.
    Another I love is The God's must be crazy. About a Coke bottle thrown out of a small airplane over the African desert, and an anthropologist who studies elephant dung.

"Robot and Frank" is out now and it's pretty charming.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Quote Originally Posted by Larksmom View Post
    Return of the Seacaucus{?} Seven. Very Funny movie. It was made at the same time as The Big Chill and is the same sort of a movie without the big stars. It is a great movie.
    Return of the Secaucus Seven came out several years before The Big Chill.

The similarities between the two movies were striking enough to raise some eyebrows. The Big Chill writer/director denied having seen RSS, which seemed a little odd given the movie's reputation within the film community.

I have also heard, from reliable sources numerous times, that there was a payoff to John Sayles from Warners over TBC. Sayles was also writing a number of projects for Warners during these years, I'm not sure if those jobs were part of this.

(There are some A-list writers who have a reputation for lifting material from other scripts/movies and trying to pass it off as their own. I've seen it myself, in some of the most audacious presentations. )