The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Run-in sheds: where to place, and direction to face?

Do you all have any thoughts to share on where in a paddock to put a run-in shed? I've seen some that are near the gate and others that are alllll the way in the back, and still some that are smack in the middle of the paddock.

Also, I'm thinking it'd be smart to have them NOT face the afternoon sun but then again in winter that might be something good... ?

Or am I overthinking this like everything else
    "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education." - Mark Twain

You want the open side so that the prevailing wind is not blowing into the shelter.

I would not place them right by the gate as they are one more obstacle to cause an issue when horses are coming and going.

Ours faces east, which works well for us. It is right near the gate for my convenience (easy for cleaning and, in really bad weather, ie, lightening, to feed inside). The run ins (its a 12 x 36 pole barn, actually, with two stalls, one larger stall at one end, for my two best-friend-bully horses and a smaller one at the other for my low man on the totem pole guy) open into small paddocks, which open in to a large turnout, so I can keep them confined to a smaller space if I want to. With them right near the gate, its easy for me to place water in each (also have my 100 gall stock tank nearby).

This arrangement works well for us, given our landscape.

Back east, they run in and out of their barn stalls (into a very large pasture) but the doors open north. I would not select that intentionally, but they have a great ramada roof on the north, too, that breaks a lot of wind and they seem to love hanging out under it!

Ours will face Southeast, as our wind typically comes from the North and West (I feel like capping directions for some unkown reason today I guess).

First and foremost, I would put them on a high point for drainage.
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by TrotTrotPumpkn View Post
    First and foremost, I would put them on a high point for drainage.
    Great point, although we did throw in several yards of 3/4crush gravel as I remember, which REALLY helps!

Quote Originally Posted by trubandloki View Post
    You want the open side so that the prevailing wind is not blowing into the shelter.

I would not place them right by the gate as they are one more obstacle to cause an issue when horses are coming and going.
    this is an important comment.
    our is placed accordingly--but a few years ago we had one of the bad [tornado] storms come through. A wind devil picked up the shed and threw it in a tree. We found it upside down and standing up tall on it's short side.

It's a BIG shed too--and all steel. So that wind must have really been rough.

We ended up driving two T-posts into the ground and welding it to them.
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

OP - hope you don't mind if I further the inquiry...

Just curious, if your sheds have windows, and if your horses actually USE them!

I live where it snows in the winter and mine face south. The cold wind always comes from the north, and with it facing south they can go in and bask in the sun and be protected from the wind.

That said, they don't use it all that much for protection from the elements. They hang out there at night in the summer, but not much in the winter. They have free access to their stalls in the barn, so when it's really bad weather they head inside.

saddleup...you have lucky horses
    "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education." - Mark Twain

What do you need to protect from most - Massachussets Winter winds, or So Cal's hot Summer sun?

What other structures are around that might provide wind breaks, or create wind tunnels?

GENERALLY the opening faces South or SE, which can mean a good deal of warmth on even a very cold Winter day, and having the other 3 sides blocked will block just about all bitter wind.

I agree with not putting them anywhere near a gate - just begging for trouble.

Where you place them otherwise depends largely on where they already prefer to hang out, and the terrain. The far side of the pasture/paddock might be the high spot and therefore the best ground on which to put it. A great spot might be smack dab in the middle, and they can use the inside, or any part of the outside, for cover against wind.

I would not put them near a corner, regardless. No gate, no corner.

Our faces North. We did that because the prevailing winds are from the SW. We OCCASIONALLY get a cold northern wind, but very, very rarely (maybe twice a year?).