The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 62 1231151 ... LastLast

Lightbulb Who funds the horse slaughter lobby? All roads lead to AQHA and Agribusiness.

A great expose in the role of slaughter facilitating the unfettered breeding of horses. I highly recommend this to anyone interested in understanding the forces behind promoting horse slaughter in the U.S.

http://habitatforhorses.org/horse-sl...r-money-trail/
    "There's something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man" ~ Sir Winston Churchill

"The object that drives the horse slaughter lobby is money. It has never been about equine welfare, humanity, professionalism or reliability. Like in most political issues, those defending horse slaughtering are in it for the money or for the prospects of monetary earnings in a variety of forms, from obtaining campaign donations to the renewal of a Public Relations contracts or the obtainment of power to shape legislation to their own advantage."
    "There's something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man" ~ Sir Winston Churchill

Pretty good article. It's always been about the money, not what's best for the horse.

If you consider that 85% of the horses slaughtered the last year the plants were open in the US had QH bloodlines that too should not be a surprise.

considering that the AQHA is the world's largest registry should have something to do with this.

Is is full moon already?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    considering that the AQHA is the world's largest registry should have something to do with this.

Is is full moon already?
    Getting close

Is is full moon already?
    Yep, the world's largest registry that needs a system to make room for the continuing mass production. Bingo horse slaughter. I know it's long, but you might want to read the article, regardless of the moon's phases. The point is that AQHA is actively funding and perpetuating this cruel business.

And here is one of those QH breeders whining about it:

http://www.agweek.com/event/article/id/20053/

Through the years, Opdahl would take salvage animals — old mares or those that were hurt or couldn’t be broken to ride — to Kist Livestock Auction at Mandan, N.D.

“The one you sell to the slaughter market brings enough to feed four or five other horses for the winter.”

\"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

Quote Originally Posted by JumpingPaints View Post
    A great expose in the role of slaughter facilitating the unfettered breeding of horses. I highly recommend this to anyone interested in understanding the forces behind promoting horse slaughter in the U.S.

http://habitatforhorses.org/horse-sl...r-money-trail/
    Maybe you ought to read for context?
    That is not an expose, that is an animal rights hatchet job opinion piece, with not one iota of truth or facts behind it.

One reason the AQHA and 200+ other horse associations and industry affiliates was against the slaughter ban bill is because it was setting precedents that the HSUS was in charge.

As long as those of us that understand the world as it is and our use of animals as the renewable, natural resource they are, you will find those that have them and the associations formed by them to try to protect the right to own and use animals from those that want to eliminate those rights on some wrongheaded idea of how this world works.

Really, the ones that should be ashamed here are those that further animal rights agendas as that article is.

Trying to make the AQHA an evil empire falls flat on the reality of who they are and what they do.
    That article is like asking your new coworker you don't even know, in an office full of people, how many times a day he beats his wife.

All that about registrations and how the AQHA operates to make money etc. is pure speculation and not at all true.
    There are conventions where topics like embryo transfer and others are voted on.
    Right now there is a lawsuit against the AQHA because they voted against registering clones.
    That article is completely clueless how the AQHA operates, sorry.
    Only those that don't know either could believe all that pure nonsense.

Assuming that the AQHA is and does what that article does, without any proof of any of that at all, well, knowing where that is coming from, you should have understood that is just more animal rights propaganda.

Quote Originally Posted by JumpingPaints View Post
    Yep, the world's largest registry that needs a system to make room for the continuing mass production. Bingo horse slaughter. I know it's long, but you might want to read the article, regardless of the moon's phases. The point is that AQHA is actively funding and perpetuating this cruel business.
    Or as the world's largest registry they recognize that there are not enough rescues or homes to absorb the number of unwanted horses in this country so they are supporting legislation which provides a suitable alternative. Or as the largest registry they see the need to be the voice of reason in a sea of bleeding-heart fanatics who adamantly oppose slaughter yet have failed to provide an alternative every step of the way. By supporting slaughter in the Jockey Club also doing the same thing? What about professional trainers? Are they supporting slaughter so they have an easy dumping ground for rejects and can make more room for new prospects ?

I'm all for conspiracy theories and I do think that the AQHA is economically driven (what big organization isn't?) but this article is absurd. The number of foals registered has dropped by almost half in a mere two years. How does this support their claims?

"Like in most political issues, those defending horse slaughtering are in it for the money or for the prospects of monetary earnings in a variety of forms, from obtaining campaign donations to the renewal of a Public Relations contracts or the obtainment of power to shape legislation to their own advantage"

Nope. There are thousands of people who defend slaughter. Until a viable alternative is found we see slaughter as a necessary evil.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    That is not an expose, that is an animal rights hatchet job opinion piece, with not one iota of truth or facts behind it.

One reason the AQHA was against the slaughter ban bill is because it was setting precedents that the HSUS was in charge.

As long as those of us that understand the world as it is and our use of animals as the renewable, natural resource they are, you will find those that have them and the associations formed by them to try to protect the right to own and use animals from those that want to eliminate those rights on some wrongheaded idea of how this world works.

Really, the ones that should be ashamed here are those that further animal rights agendas as that article is.

Trying to make the AQHA an evil empire falls flat on the reality of who they are and what they do.
    That article is like asking your new coworker you don't even know, in an office full of people, how many times a day he beats his wife.

All that about registrations and how the AQHA operates to make money etc. is pure speculation and not at all true.
    There are conventions where topics like embryo transfer and others are voted on and right now a lawsuit against the AQHA because they voted against registering clones.

Assuming that the AQHA is and does what that article does, without any proof of any of that at all, well, knowing where that is coming from, you should have understood that is just more animal rights propaganda.
    well, it goes something like this:

blahblahblah ZOMG HORSE SLAUGHTER yadayadayada OH EM GEE EVUL AQHA....blah yada yada blah blah RACE HORSES....Yada blahblah MEAN BREEDERS....

rinse repeat....

Numbers lie.

even acording to the anti crowd only 1% of the horse population goes to slaughter, good, bad or indifferent.
    So the majority of those are QH...
    No, wait, horses that look like, maybe, possibly, perhaps could be QH...
    about 90k out of a million and a half, 2 million?
    (and frankly, some of them horses are good for nothing but a steak dinner....)

yes, the people who fight against PETA and HSUS forcing legislation on us are evil...(though last I heard the AQHA has not set trucks, slaughter plants on fire or liberated life stock and pets, nor funneled money to eco-terrorists...how truly evil they are...) </sarcasm> (because I know somebody won't get it...)
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by GraceLikeRain View Post
    By supporting slaughter in the Jockey Club also doing the same thing?
    The Jockey Club is anti-horse-slaughter. Just FYI.

And P.S. I am not a fan of Jerry Finch.
    He smooches too much with the HSUS.
    Last edited by luvmytbs; Aug. 28, 2012 at 03:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by luvmytbs View Post
    The Jockey Club is anti-horse-slaughter. Just FYI.
    the jockey club is a dog with no teeth. It can't even regulate racing...

the jockey club is a dog with no teeth. It can't even regulate racing...
    The JC has nothing to do with racing, they are a registry.

Don't ruin her rant with facts.

That is like saying the AKC has nothing to do with dog welfare, they are just a registry.....

I have to agree, that this article is just more HSUS/PETA propaganda...it is sad that many horse owners still fall for this stuff........
    We do not have an overpopulation of dogs, we have an under population of responsible dog owners!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jetsmom View Post
    Don't ruin her rant with facts.
    My Bad...........

AKC and JC, apples and peanuts.

Quote Originally Posted by Arizona DQ View Post
    That is like saying the AKC has nothing to do with dog welfare, they are just a registry.....

I have to agree, that this article is just more HSUS/PETA propaganda...it is sad that many horse owners still fall for this stuff........
    Well, I didn't have the OP pegged as one of the few animal rights followers here, but I guess people do surprise.

That is pure propaganda and not even with the correct facts, clearly written by someone that doesn't even understand how the AQHA works.
    Not that any of that ever mattered to animal rights extremists, they just like the controversy, no matter what myths and outrageous falsehoods they have to propagate, as it is clear there.

well, as someone who is for animal welfare, who is a vegetarian (most of my life) who goes out of her way to ensure that every $$ that i spend goes only to businesses that i think are doing a good job ecologically, economically, animal welfare wise, etc. .

I am 100% FOR humane slaughter of horses. Even if it is for human food.

The lack of available slaughter here in the US only HURTS horses.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post

One reason the AQHA and 200+ other horse associations and industry affiliates was against the slaughter ban bill is because it was setting precedents that the HSUS was in charge.

There are conventions where topics like embryo transfer and others are voted on.
    Right now there is a lawsuit against the AQHA because they voted against registering clones.
    Only those that don't know either could believe all that pure nonsense.

Ahhh.... more paranoia about animal rights propaganda and HSUS. Oh no - they're coming to take your cows! And horses! And guns!!! Your husbands are next!!!!

I definitely need to go into the tin foil hat business.

This article is a completely rational and evidence-driven appraisal about AQHA and how the horse meat lobby operates. May not be convenient for those of you who want to butcher and eat horses, but nevertheless, it's accurate.