The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default A mole in my tack room...

Okay, we built a new barn last summer. Apparently, a mole has decided its the perfect place to live...in my tack room.

Are moles destructive like mice or rats?

The door has a crack under it so I know that is how he's getting in (its an inside door, not an insulated outside door with a door jam so its not tight at the bottom).
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

Will the mole cause destruction like a mouse would? If not, I'm inclined to just leave him alone!

If floor is dirt mole will tunnel.
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

It's concrete.

Quote Originally Posted by SuckerForHorses View Post
    Will the mole cause destruction like a mouse would? If not, I'm inclined to just leave him alone!
    Depends on what you consider destruction. He will dig into things, and crap all over the place. Who knows what he will find to eat in there. On the upside, he won't be killing your lawn and flowers while he's in the tack room.

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

Are you sure it is a mole?? Moles generally do not come to the surface and stay there for any significant time. They don't see well. They eat worms, bugs, grubs and plant roots/bulbs. They will not eat stuff in your tack/feed room.

If you are seeing a mole in your tack room, something is not well with him....or your cat has been very efficient.
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

I am 100% certain its a mole. There is a tree stump in the paddock not far from the barn and last year I saw the little bugger come out from under the tack room door and scoot across into the hole at the base of the stump.

A week ago, I saw him again (or a different one, but its definitely a mole). No tail (or not much of one anyways, like not even 1 cm, just a really short stub).

I was confused as to why a mole would be in there...My grain is kept in an old chest freezer, and I'm meticulous about not dropping any on the floor when I scoop out feed.

Do you thikn he'd fall for a mouse trap?

I also found a HUGE toad in the tack room too....???

We always have toads.

One time I came back from a ride to find a sign propped up on a bucket in the aisleway that said "watch for toads". Apparently a toad was on the move and no one wanted him to get stepped on.

Too bad you're not closer. I'd loan you my hound, Jake. He's my official mouse, shrew, mole and rabbit killer. It's very unusual for a mole to be wandering around above ground. Are you sure it's not a rat?
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Shrews look a bit like moles - well, sorta like them.

He will probably starve to death if left on a concrete floor.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

I have one in my tack room too! Although I think it's really a shrew - not a mole. It looks like a long-faced mouse with a shorter tail and grayish in color. Smaller eyes too. "She" got in when my tack room door was open and seems to come and go as she can. I haven't noticed any damage other than a few small holes in a trash bag I use to take home dirty laundry. She probably started to make a nest when I scared her to death! For now we have an understanding. She stays out of my way and I won't kill her!

Nope, not a shrew. Short nose. Not a rat. It's most certainly a mole. I am wondering if he comes looking for hay and such, then returns to his hole, since its not far from my barn?

This is a picture from last winter...the mole came shooting out from under my tack room door, scurried across the snow, and into a hole at the bottom of this stump. My geldign was picking at hay right next to it, and was completely in awe of Mr. Mole!

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/f...m/MoleHole.jpg

My cattle dog would put an end to his life, but Mr. Mole has not presented himself when the Rusty monster has been around...great sense of self-preservation I suppose!

It DEFINITELY is NOT a mole. Moles would rather eat worms (wait - they do eat worms!) okay, eat McDonald's & die than go above ground. They're not built for it. Period. Look it up. I ain't lying or making it up. The very few times moles "pop up" & take a look around, is sometimes when they're feeding close to the surface. But they never come up above the ground unless forced to by a predator. Even that is rare, since they're more likely to go down.

Sigh. And they don't eat or nest in "hay"; nor would they be "looking for it". Nor would they be "scurrying across the snow". They hibernate in winter. That's definitely a vole.

What you most likely have in your tack room is a Shrew or Vole. It is beyond a doubt definitely NOT a Mole. Take the time to do a little research on these critters & you'll see that a mole invading buildings or any area with a solid substrate is totally beyond what they can deal with via their lifestyle. Ridiculous.

Yup, most likely Vole. Soft brown fur, short wee stubby tail. Cute lil buggers....
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

And voles can get FAT! My cat caught one last summer that was enormous - five inches long. I felt sorry for it; it wasn't doing any harm anywhere.

I don't know what they eat, but I doubt they are as destructive as a mouse. It will probably not like the concrete floor and move out. Also, I think they are solitary, like shrews, so you probably don't have a vole colony, either.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Voles ARE solitary; although large numbers can live relatively close to one another - just not "together". They eat mostly plant matter - bulbs, seeds, grasses, etc., with some insect life thrown in for good measure. In fact, voles are known to have given moles a bad name. People think that moles are killing plants in their gardens, but moles don't eat plants - just worms & grubs. However, voles take advantage of mole tunnels & use them to access plant roots & bulbs, etc. Poor moles.

Shrews, on the other hand, are totally carniverous. And they will actually EAT voles & mice, if they can catch & kill them.

Okay, so maybe its a Vole (probably didn't consider this because I've never heard of them! LOL!)

So, what should I do about him?

Best bet is to do what you'd do if you had mice or rats in your house - find & block (plain steel wool works well) every & any entrances, regardless of how small.

Impossible...my barn is not air tight under the main doors, or the tack room door.

Can I set traps? What do I use as bait?