The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Yellow Lab female - young - College Station/Houston Texas

Last night my husband and I found a young female yellow Lab on the highway in College Station. She had a collar, but no tag. To make a long story short, a friend is "illegally" keeping her in her no-animals-allowed rental and we are needing to find a new home or a foster home who can help place her permanently.

She is super super super sweet, but very skinny and unsure about what is going on.

If anyone can help us out or knows someone who can, please please please E-mail me at seujoanne - gmail. We have pictures we can provide.

If she has a collar, SOMEbody put it on her...have you called every shelter and clinic within 100 miles? Did you take her to a clinic to see if she has a microchip? Have you put ads in all the local newspapers? Have you put posters with her photo on every phone pole and in every mailbox??? You can't just go about rehoming a found dog until AFTER you have gone through all these steps. I have twice lost my dogs and if someone had picked them up and REHOMED them, I'd be F.R.A.N.T.I.C.
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

We are doing the best we can. I live out of town and we have been calling the shelters, clinics, etc. We have actually gotten some pretty rude and heartless responses. We have put ads up and searched the Internet for any lost dog descriptions. We did not bring her back home with us thinking that someone had lost her and would be looking for her, but so far we have had no luck. The gal keeping her will be fined $100 per day and one clinic actually suggested I let her back out ON THE HIGHWAY.

But thank you, really, for your response. It's not like I've never done this before...

Rehome the dog!

Great of you to pick her up.

Anyone who lets his/her dog get skinny and run around on a road and doesn't have proper ID on the dog, doesn't deserve to get the dog back.

Next time the dog might get run over.

Is there a rescue near you where the people foster dogs and try to find them homes? We have them here and they work through pet stores like petsmart, with rehoming on Saturdays. Good luck. Great of you to save the dog from pain and suffering. Bad owners don't deserve to have animals returned to them.

And BTW I do believe it's illegal to leave flyers in mailboxes.

Thanks, Sche. We have been contacting rescues, no-kill shelters, etc. to no avail - they are all full with no ideas of what we can do with this sweet girl.

Jo-I didn't mean to insinuate you were an idiot! . Your post sounded like you picked her up and immediately set about to rehome her. Sorry.

When my dogs went on a way-too-long jaunt last winter, I let their microchip company know-they faxed posters to every clinic and shelter within 100 miles of our home and set up that poster so I could print it out. I stuck them in every mailbox on a 6 mile loop around our house. One man got his mail, looked at the poster, turned around to see our dog sitting on his front steps.....Happy ending to a total panic of 36 hours. They were 2 miles from home, bad dogs.

(Sche, sometimes the little rings that hold the tags get bent and the tags fall off)

I picked up a young dog once who had been run over. No collar (she had slipped it) I took her to a clinic. She had a broken pelvis and internal bleeding. I told the vet to do the surgery and if no one claimed her I would adopt her. (I was 18, don't ask me how I thought I would pay for it!!) Anyhow, the dog came through the surgery well, was due to come home and be MY dog when the original owners tracked her down (7 days after they lost her) and took her home again. The poor man called to thank me and I bawled him out for letting his dog run free on a highway with no collar!

I really hope you have luck finding a spot for the poor little thing. Put her back on the highway? Good grief. Who thinks like that?! Thanks for helping her!!
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

The vet checked her over yesterday - no microchip. One of the rescue groups I had contacted remembers seeing another "found" ad for her last month and they are trying to track down the contact information from the ad. I searched again yesterday for any "lost dog" ads within a 200 mile radius - nothing even close to her description. We're doing what we can!

Jo, a friend of mine had all 3 of her dogs get out last week. All collared, no tags ( aarrgghh) . She called the police and the police let all the local squad cars now. they also told her all the shelters and ACs to call. You might want to try that too. I know my friend was just gutted last week. Thankfully they showed up on someone's doorstep and because she had called all the ACs, when they showed up, the AC called her and told her they had them. Good luck, sounds like a nice dog.

Quote Originally Posted by scheherazadetbmare View Post

Anyone who lets his/her dog get skinny and run around on a road and doesn't have proper ID on the dog, doesn't deserve to get the dog back.

Where did you get that the was dog skinny? Don't be so black and white. Accidents happen. My dog used to manage to lose his tags all the time, so sure there's we're days when he didn't have tags on. He had 10 fenced acres and every now and again a delivery man would come in and somehow the dog would get out. What would be better, to have kept him in a kennel 24 x 7 just so that he didn't get out a couple of times a year?

If he's healthy and has a collar in, chances are he has a caring owner that made a mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by Jo View Post
    And BTW I do believe it's illegal to leave flyers in mailboxes.
    It is. Overkill too. I have lost a dog before without id and I knew if I did not find the dog and lost her because of my negligence, that would be too bad and my fault. Fortunately I found her but I did not find my best friend when I was younger and dumber, in the day of no microchips and I did not keep a collar on him because I was afraid he would be caught in a fence and choked. I never found him and just hoped someone took him in and loved him for the rest of his life.

Kate66, read the OP, she said the dog was very thin, no blame just the facts ma'am.
    "I have brought on the hatred of Wall Street and I relish it".
    Franklin Delano Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Calamber View Post
    Kate66, read the OP, she said the dog was very thin, no blame just the facts ma'am.
    Apologies - you are right, I had complete blinkers on that bit. Sorry.

Well, since this is still kickin', I will update to let everybody know that my husband fell totally in love with this pooch and my friend who was holding onto her while we tried to locate her owners brought her up for us to keep for good. She is so appreciative of everything we give her - like "A bone?!?!? For ME?!?!?!?!" or "MY OWN BED?!?!?! You're kidding!" It's really cute. We are trying hard to get weight back on her but she's so energetic I think she burns off all the calories she eats. The first weekday we had her, we got her all her shots and a microchip and she's being spayed on Monday.

PS, the "diagnosis" from two vets is that she is part Lab, and part... Great Dane. Our vet here said he believes her growth was stunted because he feels that she was starving for quite some time. She's estimated to be about 8 months old and 50 lbs. We named her Aggie.

thats great news. she sounds like a lucky dog

My uncle had a lab/great dane cross. She was absolutely adorable and the sweetest thing. She'd chase laser pointers! Oh, and she was HUGE. Great dane tall with lab bone, basically - prepare for that possibility. You know you've gotta put pictures up somewhere so we can laugh at her gangly cuteness.

Solara, PM me your E-mail address and I will send some over.