The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default PICTURES PAGE 3!! Underprivledged teen in need of riding clothes!

A little bit of this girls story... OR skip to the bottom for what we are looking for

She came to us for a school project for her agriculture class over 2 years ago. With her lifetime love for horses, over a few months she learned how to feed horses, groom, lead, bathe, blanket, horses anatomy, horse health basics among other things and wrote a paper about everything she learned that semester. While she was extremely helpful we could not help to notice her struggles. She comes from a single mother with very low income ( 15k or less a year), her english is not good, and her writing skills are very poor. She is very shy and not accustomed to being in social settings and has very few friends. She came to the barn every day with the same torn up tennis shoes, same jeans and a different t-shirt. After observing this for a few weeks straight we kindly asked her if she was getting hot feeding and helping in jeans everyday ( this is in the spring) and she replied that she didn’t own any shorts and that those were her ONLY pair of pants. This seriously broke our hearts. Here this girl displays a work ethic that exceeds anyone we have come across before and she owns ONE pair of pants, no shorts and one pair of worn down tennis shoes. Came to learn she also was wearing these clothes to school so she had to wash her clothes every day after the barn to have them clean for the next day. She didn’t even own a winter jacket. This certainly makes you think twice about how fortunate many of us are to even have the bare necessities.

Going through our closets we were able to give her an older North Face jacket, and some shoes among other random items. We also decided to take her shopping for Christmas and bought her some basics ranging from pants for school and shirts for school so she didn’t have to wear her “good” clothes to the barn. She lit up like the fourth of July! She had never been shopping before, or even be able to pick out items that she LIKES! We have also found it to be helpful to donate gas money so she can make it to and from the barn without a struggle as well as taking her to dinner on occasion.

Words cannot describe how much she has blossomed over the past two years. She calls the barn her “happy place” and it gives her something to look forward to on a regular basis. At the barn she has made friends, heightened her social skills and learned responsibility through various tasks. Then came the next few obstacles. She is 18 years old, about to graduate high school and has no plan for her future. I signed her up for her first SAT test. She also does not have her driver’s license because she failed it three times. Her mother has not guided her in any way for a bright future and without a license or an SAT score or plan to go to college, her opportunities are cut short. We enrolled her into a driving course and also helped her apply for a technical college close by. She can now drive on her own and I set her up to have a paid position at a barn down the street doing what she loves.

Anyways, getting down to the point of this post. She has been getting to ride one of our school horses 1-4 times a week in exchange for helping us around the barn. She receives free lessons and is now proudly able to w/t/c by herself with confidence. Her mom helped her buy her first pair of breeches, half chaps and paddock boots and someone in the barn gave her a helmet that was no longer being used. Next month we are hosting a local schooling show where we have told her she gets to show for the very first time and she is excited beyond words. However, her first pair of breeches are now developing holes and her paddock boots are the faux-leather that are now coming apart. She is in need of additional riding apparel and cannot afford it.

We are in search of practical items for her to ride in regularly. She needs breeches between the sizes of 34-36 or even a little bigger. She wears a size 8 ½ WIDE paddock boot or even a size 9. Anything you are not using would help! Items she can wear in the horse show would be a bonus ( beige breeches, show shirt). We are willing to pay for the shipping of items.
    Last edited by TPF Hunter; Sep. 10, 2012 at 09:34 AM.
    Footnote
    Miss Money Penny
    Fuerst Class
    Monroe

TPF Hunter,

I have a State Line Tack hunt coat that no longer fits me since I have lost weight. It is a polyester blend in a solid navy with a navy liner. The buttons are also navy. It's a basic, serviceable coat that has really seen relatively little wear. It is a ladies size 12, and that's a real "street" size, not a typical riding coat size. For comparison my Grand Prix coat from the same weight was an 18. I'm not really sure where to measure, but if I lay it flat it is about 16.5 inches across the back (or front where I think it would fall on the bust) and about 19 inches across just below the third button. The sleeves are just over 23 inches long. It is double vented in the back. Your student is welcome to this jacket for the cost of shipping if you think it would fit her. You can respond here or PM me.

I've lost weight and have a couple of pairs of tan fullseat breeches that I've been trying to get rid of. Would a size 38 be too big, I wonder? They would actually be 38" at the waist if that's any help. I could also throw in a white dressage style show shirt (short sleeved) that is a 1X if this works.

Shipping from Canada so, if you're not in any hurry, I could mail it via slow boat from China (Canada Post) and pay for it myself.

Sorry, no paddock boots. I will see what other little goodies I can come up with.

Let me know.

Default Thanks!

PM's sent! Any and all items will be used, loved and greatly appreciated.
    Footnote
    Miss Money Penny
    Fuerst Class
    Monroe

Can you tell me what size shirt is needed?
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

Default Shirt Size

She wears a Large shirt size at Old Navy that I know of A size 40-42 show shirt would fit her.
    Footnote
    Miss Money Penny
    Fuerst Class
    Monroe

Does she need anything else besides clothes? I'm afraide I'm not her size but I'm sure I can find some other stuff.

Sheryl at FITS here. Bless your heart. I think we can come up with a few things for her. Please email me your address. Garments and postage both on FITS.

sheryl@FITSriding.com

FITS, that's awesome.

I just checked my closet, and my shirts are all going to be too small.
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

FITS, wonderful of you! I unfortunately don't have any clothes, but will continue to watch this thread to see if there's anything else she might need. Could she use some horse books I wonder? (Postage on me).

Quote Originally Posted by spacytracy View Post
    Does she need anything else besides clothes? I'm afraide I'm not her size but I'm sure I can find some other stuff.
    She can really use anything she can get! We JUST put together a bridle for her to use and call her own, however she doesnt have any saddle pads or girths or anything. The horse she rides wears a 48-50 inch girth. We have been guiding her towards saving for a saddle but thats a long ways away!

I am so thrilled with the response I have gotten from my fellows COTHers. She is truly a sweet young lady and will be ecstatic to have " new" things to call her own.

THANK YOU TIMES A MILLION!
    Footnote
    Miss Money Penny
    Fuerst Class
    Monroe

More PM's sent! I hope I haven't skipped anyone
    Footnote
    Miss Money Penny
    Fuerst Class
    Monroe

Hi, I would be willing to send her a custom painted saddle pad. This thread gave me the warm fuzzies. Thank you for helping her. I relied on the generosity of others to allow me to keep riding even when my family couldn't afford lessons when I was younger. I worked hard, too, but thanks to the kindness of people I consider the same as family now, I developed confidence, a work ethic, and skills that have helped me in all aspects of my life.

The link to my saddle pad page on FB is in my signature - have her check it out and see if she likes anything. I can do any design on any Dover brand pad, just let me know the style and colour she wants, and what she wants painted on it (her name, a design, etc).

I will check my barn. Since I don't have the right size clothing, I bet I can find a girth!
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

I have a lovely blue Essex Coolmax shirt that is a size 40. It no longer fits my giant tatas and I would gladly donate! It is used but free of stains or holes. Please let me know if I can help

PS- all I ask for in return would be pictures of her smiling face on show day!
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

Quote Originally Posted by Starhouse View Post
    Hi, I would be willing to send her a custom painted saddle pad. This thread gave me the warm fuzzies. Thank you for helping her. I relied on the generosity of others to allow me to keep riding even when my family couldn't afford lessons when I was younger. I worked hard, too, but thanks to the kindness of people I consider the same as family now, I developed confidence, a work ethic, and skills that have helped me in all aspects of my life.

The link to my saddle pad page on FB is in my signature - have her check it out and see if she likes anything. I can do any design on any Dover brand pad, just let me know the style and colour she wants, and what she wants painted on it (her name, a design, etc).
    Your saddle pads are stunning! I have the perfect idea for her. Sending you a PM in the morning

ParadoxFarm : Thank you! That would be fantastic!

Additional PM's sent.
    Footnote
    Miss Money Penny
    Fuerst Class
    Monroe

PM sent.
    If wishes were horses then beggars would ride...
    DLA: Draft Lovers Anonymous
    Quote Originally Posted by talkofthetown View Post
    As in, the majikal butterfly-fahting gypsy vanners.

I have plenty of 34-38 sized stuff that I don't need anymore. I could probably give her a pair of side zip breeches, a shirt, and a jacket depending on her upper body. Do you know if she could fit in to a size 16 jacket?

This whole thread is such a wonderful reminder of how good hearted horse people are! Thank you, TPF Hunter, for all you are doing!

I didn't have anything that would fit but I did just email TPF Hunter a SmartPak gift card. Quick, easy and hopefully the sum total of all of the CoTH generosity will be something this young woman remembers fondly always. I know I appreciate having a chance to pay it forward, also having benefitted from others' generosity with horses throughout my early riding years.