The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Walked some of my property today - lots of woods - lost one of the grand maple trees that line an old road behind my house, but it kindly fell in a clear spot, so it may be worth something and will be easy to bring out along that road. Next door neighbors have loggers in right now so that's handy.

But my sister and brother-in-law have a place on Long Beach Island. They evacuated Saturday and came back up here, and haven't heard anything yet. They've been vacationing with their family there for 50 years, and have owned homes there the last 15 or so. The island is so dear to them, and it is such a special place. Waiting for word, and if salvageable, I hope to head down and help with the clean up. And have an insurance background so could help them, and maybe others there, too.

I have Dish TV with all NYC channels, so I am constantly seeing this all day on the news. Hard to hear continually, but also hard to walk away from.
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

Faired pretty well here. Lots of strong winds and heavy rain. No real damage, Thank God. Lost power 12:30 a.m Tuesday morning and didn't get it back till 8:44 p.m tonight. Not to bad, just annoying. Can't believe all the damage in NJ and surrounding states that has a lot of damage. So sad to see the board walk gone! Thinking and praying for the people who were affected by Sandy!

Still without power here (I'm near Manassas). My house has a generator, but the barn does not. I had some major flooding, but not much damage from it thank goodness. The wind was the real issue. One of my big pastures that borders the woods took a major hit rom big downed trees --- lots of fencing down. Spent the better part of yesterday repairing that.

Thank goodness I had brought the two horses that have that field in the barn before dusk the night we got hit hard by Sandy. Loose horses during flooding and hurricane winds would have been a nightmare.

The Northeast doesn't need this:

WASHINGTON – Another messy -- and wintry -- storm may cause post-Election Day problems for an already weather-weary East Coast, forecasters say.

But meteorologists add that it's six days out, so that's rather early to get too worried. The forecast could change before it hits late next week...

...The same European computer model that first noticed and correctly called Superstorm Sandy a week in advance has forecast this potential nor'easter to come along the East Coast and then hit, Sullivan said. Another computer model also said the same thing, but then lessened that chance, he said...

...The fact that it's six days out means "there's room for optimism," Masters said, but he added: "From what I'm Iooking at, there's a concern."
    SOURCE:
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

Still without power in eastern pa. Getting sick of it!

Property is fine. Horses are fine. Cat who broke his leg last Mon is getting his leg amputated Monday. Been at the vet every day this week with him.

Really ready for it to be over!

Default ok in PA, ready to go postal in NJ

Here in chester county (pa) I am ok. Horses, cats ok, some limbs down but otherwise thankful to be spared. Power was out for 2 days.

My sister in NJ with the farm is ready to go postal with no power in the cold - she is 1/4 mile from a transfer station - power has never gone out before and that close to the station had hoped it would be restored quickly . Very hard to see progress.

I drove to Mass and back to PA to visit relative in hospital friday/saturday- there are lines for more than a mile at the gas stations in NJ on the turnpike - it is really tough. They are measuring the lines by the wait - radio reporting on '30 minutes at location x', '2 hours at location y'.

CT (Merritt Parkway) looks like a lumberyard - fallen trees and chainsaws at work on the branches all along it, or just mounds of sawdust where they've finished.

Thanks to all the utility folk who are out there cleaning this up - it is a long time now to be going so hard at it and there is still more to be done.
    Forward...go forward

Yes Alpha Mare the crews do deserve thanks. My cousin's husband is a lineman. He's working 48 hour shifts with just naps in the cab of the truck.
    My husband just made the drive from Coatesville PA (Chester Co) to CT. He said that for NY & NJ folks needing gas, making the trip just a little further into CT or Bucks Co. PA will get you away from the lines.

What really got me was when I was staying in a hotel the other night because my power was out there were what seemed like 100 power trucks in the parking lot. I was told that the crews were working day and night. I understand that the guys need to sleep but in a hotel? Take shifts napping in the truck while others work. No wonder it's taking them days/weeks to restore power to some areas if all crews are sleeping in a hotel at night!

Oh yeah, I have family in NJ who are still without power (7 days and counting). One can't even get food at the grocery store and is having a hard time finding gas. He told my Mom that he feels like he's living in a 3 rd world country!

Quote Originally Posted by Secret Dove View Post
    What really got me was when I was staying in a hotel the other night because my power was out there were what seemed like 100 power trucks in the parking lot. I was told that the crews were working day and night. I understand that the guys need to sleep but in a hotel? Take shifts napping in the truck while others work. No wonder it's taking them days/weeks to restore power to some areas if all crews are sleeping in a hotel at night!

Ouch. You think they should sleep in their work trucks? Come on now.

6 members found this post helpful.

Really SecretDove? You think that crews who have already travled great distances to help should work on high power lines, high on a pole, after napping upright in their truck?
    And exactly what are YOU doing to help?

6 members found this post helpful.

We were pretty happy to see truck license plates from Indiana, Illinois, etc all around town yesterday. Many thanks to those folks for coming from out of state to help us get ourselves back in order.

Many traffic lights are still out on main roads. Live wires sparking and setting grasses on fire. And, yippee, looks like maybe we've got some snow on the way!!

Some people have been seen leaving large "Box of Jo" coffee containers and donuts on the truck hoods for the utility workers.

So thanks again to those workers. Hopefully soon more of us won't have to be doing this https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...98107884_n.jpg

Thanks to Suzy and Gabbo for being the 'go to' water source when we lose power at the farm.

1 members found this post helpful.

They've left behind their homes and families, traveled hours to help your area, and you don't think they should be able to sleep soundly between climbing poles and dealing with live lines? that's pretty crazy.

7 members found this post helpful.

In NJ its a mess. Im in the northern part of the state, and still have no power, and they think anywhere between the 10th of November and Dec 3rd. Lots of trees down (as in 15 or so ) which is amazing because of the 37 inches of snow we got last year. the barns are all running on generators.. uggg. When does Florida start?
    I ought lunch for some out of town line men yesterday....

No power is definitely aggravating- did it a few years back for about 10 days after an ice storm. Fortunately we never lost water. Our survival tactics? #1 was the kerosene heater. Besides keeping us warm, we were able to heat water for "showers" and to wash dishes, cook on it, and I even made coffee. We had absolutely no $ to buy a generator. We had the redneck refrigerator (cooler) on the back porch and cooked some stuff on the gas grill. Those hamburger patties the Red Cross people dropped off couldn't have tasted better! The worst was the boredom at night- you can only read for so long by flashlight before your eyes start to cross.

Anyway- I'm still grateful to to guys from Pike Electric that came from WV or someplace like that to assist the local crews. It was miserable weather- cold, wet and windy. I sure hope they had a warm hotel room to stay in while they were working on our lines! When we finally got power restored- we ran out and spray painted a scrap piece of plywood that said "Pike Rules" and put it at the end of our driveway. Beside stopping to take pictures, the foreman stopped by the next afternoon to see if everything was OK with our electric. He said that silly sign made their day! Show them a little appreciation- they can only do so much in a day...

2 members found this post helpful.

There are crews from all over the country that are up there to help. Some from here in El Paso even went. Personally, I kinda hope those guys/gals are well rested when they are going to be working on high voltage wires, often in standing water...

1 members found this post helpful.