The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

Southern Maine, not much damage except for a few big branches here and there and lots of debris on the roads. Only lost power for a couple hours. Our seacoast town's schools didn't even close.
    The ocean was a sight to behold yesterday tho. Very impressive. We were lucky this time around. We had a lot more damage from Irene last year. My thoughts are with those in NYC / NJ and all affected areas.
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

Quinn, My house is in New London, PA (southern Chester County) but my farm is just off 472, very close to the MD line near Fair Hill Training Center. I think we dodged a bullet here. I haven't heard from the people who rent my farm for a few hours but the last I hear all were well except not all of the cats showed up at the main barn. There is another safe place for them but they seem to find niches here and there and come out after it's clear.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinn4321 View Post
    Where I am, right on the border of PA, DE, and MD, we've been lashed with rains since about noon yesterday. All Animals are tucked in, although im a bit worried about the chicken coop if the winds pick up more. Luckily, power has stayed on, although not for many in my area. The river that borders my area is already as high as it was when hurricane Irene was at it's PEAK... so im a bit worried about what I will see when Sandy peaks. We shall see. Best of Luck to everyone who is worse off than I am!

Quote Originally Posted by ThisTooShallPass View Post
    Anyone in touch with the carriage people that posted on CoTH earlier this year? How are ALL the carriage horses? Was there an pre-storm evacuation of them? The water looks deep.

Prayers for all.
    According to a post on their Facebook page yesterday, they're bedded down on the 2nd and 3rd floors of a masonry building that's outside of the predicted flood zone.
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

Thank you Frank B for the carriage horse info. Care to post a link to their site? TIA

They brought ALL the carriage horses in NYC there, to the second & third floors? So nice to hear that ALL the carriage horse folks in NYC came together in this time of crisis. *phew*

So nice to see the updates-parents are on the east coast, I'm at college on the west, and all I've been hearing on the news are the typical storm horror stories.

My family is about 20 min. west of DC and about a mile or 2 from the Potomac River, and they said they had a few limbs down, power out, and a tree across one of the big roads nearby, but they had alternate routes places, and our house/surrounded houses are all okay. Sounds like we had it pretty easy, thank goodness.

Now I'll try and send some of my 75 and sunny California weather your way!!
    I like mares. They remind me of myself: stubborn know it alls who only acknowledge you if you have food.
    Hannah B. Nana: 50% horse, 50% hippo
    Fiona: can't decide between jumpers or napping

I live inland near Hartford, CT. It got really windy here. The noise it made going through the trees was awful. We got lucky. We never lost power here although the lights flickered and dimmed a few times.

However, for people who live on the Connecticut shoreline it is another story.

My thoughts and prayers are with everyone who is now going through a tough time because of Sandy.

The NYC carriage horse people posted some recent updates that all is well. They have a facebook page and it's The Famous Horse Drawn Carriages of Central Park. The stables are far from the flooded areas, and they had 24/7 people there with the horses.
    It's 2014. Do you know where your old horse is?

Quote Originally Posted by ThisTooShallPass View Post
    Thank you Frank B for the carriage horse info. Care to post a link to their site? TIA
    This is where I found it: http://www.facebook.com/carriagehorsefacts
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

Bump.....seems there are still a lot of folks to check in yet. Probably no power
    but didn't want the thread to get lost.

Cecil County, MD. Weathered the storm okay. Got enough rain to pretty much fill a five gallon bucket. Critters fine. Lost power at 6:30 PM on Mon and didn't get it back till after 3 PM on Tuesday. Luckily, generator worked, so had heat, water, and some electric. I didn't think the wind was as bad as the wind we had with the hurricane last year... of course generators going helped drown out a lot of wind noise ;-) The field horses looked a little shell shocked for about a minute when I came out this AM and then decided that they just wanted their grain!
    http://www.leakycreek.com/
    http://leakycreek.wordpress.com/ Rainbows & Mourning Doves Blog
    John P. Smith II 1973-2009 Love Always
    Father, Husband, Friend, Firefighter- Cancer Sucks- Cure Melanoma

gothedistance is offline AERC Decade Team - 2000-2010 Premium Member

Still off the Grid*, but many farms have generator power out here in western Loudoun for the frequent storm outages. Plus the derecho this summer taught people how to be prepared - if they were smart.

3G iPad is a lovely little device for staying in touch via Internet when my portable endurance ride generator (Honda 2000) is off for the night. When on we have the Internet, fridge, and TV up and running, plus charging the cell phones and tablets. Wood burning stove to heat the house, rainwater capture at the barn for water (washing and toilet), drinking water already pre-storm filled in sealed buckets for drinking/cooking. Propane camp stove, battery led lights, etc - everything needed for living fairly comfortably days off the Grid during endurance rides is oh so handy for emergency use at home as well.Gotta say, this time is a lot nicer for not having to deal with heat and humidity! But the cleanup of 14 of my beautiful mature trees down (all ones I planted by hand 24-25 years ago) including the one leaning on the house (our tree guy already here to assess and start work - bless him!) is going to take days. Will have to do a lot of planting next year to replace them. All these storms have taken
    their toll.

Middletown/Upperville areas are a mess with downed trees everywhere. So sad.

* Grid power restored at 5pm Wednesday. Not too bad considering the numerous trees we saw (we counted 5 in less than 4 miles) that same afternoon still leaning on the power lines in Upperville.

I have videos on YouTube of the storm just before it started to get bad (still daylight enough to film) and afterwards. Just look for user "drivesapair".

Video during: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2di6Izps1Gg

Video after: http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=4RiZVmK5bgI
    Last edited by gothedistance; Nov. 1, 2012 at 05:37 AM. Reason: added video links

We made out here in Northern, slightly east of central, Mass. Our our house did, anyway. We kept our power throughout (big relief, the last two sizeable storms we were out for over a week). Only two fair sized branches down. 1/4 of the town was out of power until last night, still about 1200 without, including the street immediately behind us (they can just come in the back door to access power if we're home, I've put a power strip in our shed for them to charge stuff when we aren't home, our dogs won't let neighbors in the house if we're away). Some neighbors down the street have a tree on their house .

Halloween has been rescheduled for Sunday, per the PD, as there are still some wires down around town.

Oxford, PA-All is well. We were fortunate that we did not lose power, trees or major tree limbs. Normally would be spending a week recovering footing that washed out of our hilltop arena, but thanks to Mark Johnson and RingMasters our arena came through unscathed! Not really important in the big picture (people losing homes, beach houses, boats etc. not to mention lives), but this is a horse chat forum.
    "You post all your drama on Facebook and get mad when people judge you? You're a special kind of stupid, aren't you?"

We came through fine up here in Western New York near Lake Ontario. Lost power for about a half an hour, but that was no big deal. There are some branches down around the house, but nothing that can't be easily dealt with.

The folks right on the shore of the lake got hit the worst. There wasn't much flooding, but only because the lake was very low from the drought this summer. They got the full brunt of the wind, however. It knocked down lots of big trees and many power lines. Projection is that some of them will be without power for a week or so.

It's funny, you don't think of a lake behaving like the ocean does, but, there were reports from buoys off shore of waves 20 feet high at times.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

We are fine. The power came back on in the barn last night. Too many trees were tangled up in the lines. Glad Sandy is gone!
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...2011%20Photos/

We just got the power back on at 3 am. Generator was great-can't imagine not having it!

Just watching the news and seeing the destruction is depressing. I can't imagine what those hit hardest by the storm are going thorugh.

Eastern Shore of MD - All good here.
    Ended up with about 10.5 inches of rain (starting on Sunday) and no power from 6pm Monday till noon on Tuesday. No generator, but made it through with no issues thanks to a well insulated house, gas stove, 4 dogs and a bunch of little LED puck lights. We were warm, well fed and had enough light to read by, so it could have been much worse.

Put a turnout sheet on the Pony and let her decide where she wanted to ride out the storm - she preferred the run-in on the south side of the barn to her well bedded stall, though I did catch her out in the weather grazing when things slacked off a bit. She was not impressed when I parked a car in the barn aisle, though.

Parents made it back to their house in Forked River, NJ. The water came within a foot of their 10' raised deck, but did not get into the house thank goodness - and little kitty Belle was fine! Very glad to see her folks.

Others on their street not so lucky My uncle & aunt live 2 blocks away and have 3' of mud in their house. Just devastating.

My naughty parents are planning to hide out & stay in their house in spite of no power & authorities wanting them out of there by dark. No reasoning with them - guess I know where my stubborn streak comes from now.

My place, 1 large tree down, but it considerately laid itself down between fencelines, wasn't that nice? No internet or phone at my office in EHT but have been given permission to work from home until that is up again thank goodness.

2 members found this post helpful.

Well I did travel back and forth 30+ miles each way to USET on Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday. Got through it, but in retrospect it was a pretty stupid thing to do.

We lost power at 'my' farm for 30 minutes on Monday night, but that was it. We are super lucky!! Lots of trees down and the barn lost plenty of roof shingles, but overall not a big deal.

Atlantic County NJ. Sandy made landfall here. I am about 22 miles east of the ocean. I grew up on the beach and remain absolutely shocked at the damage. Our County Executive and a local Mayor I know were on the national news tonight with the President and Governor.

Horses made it through okay although I wouldn't have to go though this again. I have a 12x30 barn with a stall, run in and feed room. Horses can come and go as they please. I left them alone and did not lock them up. I found they were more uptight whe contained. They were okay during the front edge of the storm, heavy rain and wind but for the most part okay. Then we got a break (the "eye" was over us). Unfortunately the winds on the backside of the storm were worse and they did not handle it well. Been through a number of storms but this one by far was the worse. So very very lucky to have no real serious damage.