The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default question about stirrups

My treeless is scheduled to be delivered Tuesday-YAY!
    I'm looking for suggestions on the stirrups...I am thinking more the english type, as I find the western is just not comfortable for my 'bad' ankle (old injury). What do you guys recommend? I am not a heavy rider, weight or time...I am thinking of getting involved in CTR in the future, but I have some work to do with this horse before we go that direction.

I ride CTRs and LDs and most riders I know who do those or longer riders tend to like the Trail Stirrup style - you can see examples on http://www.runningbear.com or just about any retailer that carries trail-riding tack. They are lightweight and provide great cushioning. I haven't had ankle aches since I started using mine (vs. English stirrups) years ago.
    It's just grass and water till it hits the ground.

I have two treeless saddles. On my endurance saddle I have caged EZ Ride stirrups and on my dressage saddle I have english peacock irons. Because lots of treeless saddles have a closed loop where the stirrup leathers attach, you may want to check and see if yours does. If so, you'll want some kind of safety stirrup.
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain

I love the Composite REFLEX Wide Track Stirrups

Still look like traditional english, but a wider foot bed for comfort (the bed itself rocks) ..plus super lightweight and you can run them up.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

I have the English Safety stirrups shown here:
    http://www.aussiesaddle.com/products/stirrups.html
    and LOVE them. I have two treeless saddles and have a pair for each of them.
    "My biggest fear is that when I die my husband is going to try to sell all my horses and tack for what I told him they cost."

Love the EZ riders on my Bob Marshall. They're super comfortable for long rides.

Try the Royal Riders of Italy. They are constructed with a Dupont weave that absorbs shock. They also have cages to attach!
    www.RoyalRiderStirrups.com

I ride with the caged EZ Ride stirrups. I use the nylon rather than the aluminum. A friend of mine said that she saw a horse fall on the aluminum stirrups and they crushed on her foot. She would have been dragged, but the leathers broke.

I have my treeless outfitted with regular English schooling stirrups, regular English stirrup irons, and I put Stirrup Socks over the leathers to protect my saddle leather. It's really comfy and works for us. I used the "western" stirrup fenders for a while, but they KILLED my knees and ankles.