The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Donkey questions

Venturing into the donkey waters, one toe at a time. I know I want a standard size donkey because I want to use it for driving. I had mini's I drove but that small size has limits so I'm going up a size or two with the donkey.

In the horse world I am a mare person. I enjoy a good gelding but for whatever reasons my chemistry works better with mares. Would I expect my bias to hold true in the Jack verses Jenny world?

I'm guessing donkeys are not all cookie-cutter types but is it correct to think I won't see the big differences with them like we see between horse breeds? Will they pattern after their mare mother? When I start looking I want to buy a classic looking donkey, no spotted ones.

There is tons I don't know (as you can see) so any advice or heads up would be appreciated.

The jenny's are more workmanlike...but, the boys have more personality and are more people oriented. But the girls mature at 4, the boys at 7.
    "Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc"

1 members found this post helpful.

Sounds a lot like Middle School students. Thank you for the tips!

We have a mini jenny who is very sweet and loveable. She likes to be around people and wherever the action is but she is also stubborn. The children can climb all over her but if she doesn't want to do something she won't. It takes a lot of patience to deal with her. Having said that, I wouldn't give her up for the world.

To date my only experience with donkeys goes back 33+ years and Foxcroft where I was a working student for a year. The working students had the task of getting the donkeys ready for the Christmas program. They were fun to mess around with.

I am not in a hurry but I want to be informed enough so that if something comes on my radar I can make a move.

I have a Jenny, who was pastured with cattle and unhandled when we got her about a month ago. She's super friendly, leads, lets us groom her - I think she was born easy. I don't know a thing about donkeys and got her kind of by accident. She's adorable; I wish I had the cart and ability to teach her to drive.

I have nothing constructive to add except a description of my own donkey: I have an almost 2 year old jenny who I got as a semi-feral, unhandled weanling. She's a love bug now. She's still a little shy around new people, but warms up quickly if she finds cookies in your possession.

She leads, ties, wears blankets and fly masks, stands for the farrier, lets me body clip her, fly spray her, etc. The only thing she really has an issue with is the hose-- I can't seem to help her understand that she won't melt when wet. She's even scared of the water trough (always been), although she musters enough courage to keep herself hydrated.

I intend on teaching her to drive. She's a bit of a spazzy little firecracker at the moment, but I'm still hopeful... aren't donkeys supposed to be stoic and sensible? I'm hoping the stoicism and sensibility develops with age. Right now she is constantly looking for any good reason to run and buck like a mad lady.

She's a riot, though. I love her to pieces! I would get 100 more just like her.
    Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

Well...

Once you go donk, you kinda never want anything else. I loved both my horses today, and rode both, but the only one I sat down and snuggled with was Odie. He is the best. I am a "horse" person, not mare or gelding or stallion. I've had all three. I like the way my gelding is pretty much the same every day. I've had a jenny (standard size, she was a BLM burro), and she and Odie are both very level headed and workmanlike. She was more likely to do the nope-not-moving-can't-make-me than he is, he's more adventurous I think.
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

Donkeys will have a jenny for a mother; not a mare. Mules have a mare for a mother...

Quote Originally Posted by x View Post
    Donkeys will have a jenny for a mother; not a mare. Mules have a mare for a mother...
    Yes, thank you. I realized after I wrote that I had misspoken. I was trying to ask that since horse breeds have characteristics that make them better suited to one skill or another, do donkeys also have that based on what a parent does? Or are donkeys a nice blank slate? Based on what people are offering with their donkeys the latter seems the trend, even if the donkey was feral when they bought it.

I ride with friends who have gaited mules which (because of the gaiting parent) are different than a QTR mule or draft mule.

For what it's worth, my jenny's momma is still feral. Her owners have never been able to "tame" her, although no offense to them, they really don't try that hard.

I suspect my girl would have been quite content staying feral like her mother. However, I forced love and treats upon her and eventually she succumbed. But she is still more cautious and easily spooked than other donkeys I have known-- I imagine that is the influence of her dam (is it a dam with donkeys?).
    Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

Texarkana - looks like we have a bit more in common than we thought. I also have a donkey, the infamous Fessy (aka Festus). I got him as a weanling and didn't know anything about donkeys but that they were adorable and have just kind of gone by the seat of my pants with him (literally). He leads (some times), stands for the farrier (mostly), will escape when he sees the opportunity (often) and I love him to death. Since we've moved down here to Kentucky and I expect the summers to be hotter and more humid, I will be attempting to body clip him in a few weeks. It should be exciting.

SLW - you will never regret getting a donkey. They are sure to add humor to your life, which we can all use a little more of.
    RIP Full Metal Jacket "Jack" 1998 -2/27/09
    RIP Salisbury Hill "Ted" 1979-4/2/10
    "God have mercy on the man who doubts what he's sure of" -Springsteen

2 members found this post helpful.

I want to get a donkey (or 2 or 3) so badly after reading all of your stories!!!

Update. I am smitten. Introducing Esther, a 3 year old jenny who I just brought home today. She is a total love and everything I wanted in a 12 hand package. My two resident mares were googling "photo of a horse crossed with a rabbit" to try and figure out WHAT was in the pen by their stalls.

http://i1300.photobucket.com/albums/...ps82cd68cd.jpg

2 members found this post helpful.

Oh my! What a handful of jenny cuteness! She's beautiful - congratulations, and please give her a hug and kiss from me!

Aw she's gorgeous! Love those big ears. Is she already broke to drive or will you be doing that?

Congrats!

P.
    A Wandering Albertan - NEW Africa travel blog!