The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default You know, if you wanna try and scam me, get better at it!

You'd think that these scammers would get a clue but I guess it's because there are still those sellers out there who actually believe that the below type of response to their ad is real and get suckered in.

Hello, I came across your Ads and I'll like to know the following questions regarding the ad. Q#1. How long have you owned it? Q#2. a) Have you owned it from new? b) If not how many previous owner? Q#3. Why are you selling it? Q#4. In your opinion, what sort of condition is it? Q#5. Any available photo? Q#6. How much are you asking for it? Q#7. Do you accept a Cashier Check as a mode of payment. Hope to read from you soon. Get back to me with your name and address to issue payment for you. Thanks Debbie..

Now for the skeptics out there who say: 'How could you tell right off it was a scam?' I offer the following evidence to help educate you:

1) I have only ONE ad, on ONE site.

2) The ad clearly states the item is "USED."

3) I clearly state in the ad that I'm selling the item because it doesn't fit my horse. (But I guess if English isn't your first language, maaaaaaaybe you'd miss it?)

4) I clearly state the condition of the item, down to the detail.

5) I posted a main photo in the ad and gave an Open To The Public link to my album.

6) The price is clearly stated in the Ad's title and within the body.

7) The only acceptable forms of payment I demand were clearly stated.

So folks... if you get a response to your ad, dissect the response and give it the sniff test.

But as P.T. Barnum said, "There's a sucker born every minute." Not this woman.... I read COTH!
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Hallo! In response to your adz - I do not wish to buy what you have, I do however have 2 horse I wish to re-home. 1st horse is a white Fresian 12.5 hh the 2nd is a Gypsy Vanner. My pastor gave them to me before he died and wanted them to be in a good home. I am relocated due to a jub transfer. They are housebroke, great with kids and will follow u around. Pleaze send me ur name address phone along w/ bank & cc info. I can have puppy in the crate on a plane tomorrow. Thanks many much!

Apparently I have too much time on my hands!

Quote Originally Posted by Shine View Post
    Hallo! In response to your adz - I do not wish to buy what you have, I do however have 2 horse I wish to re-home. 1st horse is a white Fresian 12.5 hh the 2nd is a Gypsy Vanner. My pastor gave them to me before he died and wanted them to be in a good home. I am relocated due to a jub transfer. They are housebroke, great with kids and will follow u around. Pleaze send me ur name address phone along w/ bank & cc info. I can have puppy in the crate on a plane tomorrow. Thanks many much!

Apparently I have too much time on my hands!
    Hey, stop giving the scammers better material to work with!

I've gotten a few scam emails that I usually respond with only one sentence. That is that I ONLY accept hard cold cash, no cashier checks etc.

Now, as for telemarketing/garbage/crap phone calls I often play along. Got one the other day about taking in a foreign exchange student. So I said sure as long as he was a good-looking young male with a great body that would clean stalls etc and do all the gardening. Gee, the people hung up on me..... I didn't think they were allowed to do that!
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

My family speaks a few different languages. It's really funny to listen to the telemarketers mumble when you answer the phone in German!

Or when they ask for my Mom, she tells them she's dead. It's just too fun to screw with them!

The really sad part is, is that people actually fall for that crap!
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

Quote Originally Posted by ChocoMare View Post

But as P.T. Barnum said, "There's a sucker born every minute." Not this woman.... I read COTH!

This may have to be my new siggy line!

Quote Originally Posted by Superminion View Post
    My family speaks a few different languages. It's really funny to listen to the telemarketers mumble when you answer the phone in German!

Or when they ask for my Mom, she tells them she's dead. It's just too fun to screw with them!

The really sad part is, is that people actually fall for that crap!
    I told the Olan Mills people that their photo package deal sounded great, but regrettably it would be wasted on me as I am a vampire and therefore do not photograph.

Told the floor cleaning people that I live in a shack with dirt and wood chip flooring.

Then I put my number on the Do Not Call list.

In middle school I got a great laugh out of asking telemarketers for help on my math homework!
    I like mares. They remind me of myself: stubborn know it alls who only acknowledge you if you have food.
    Hannah B. Nana: 50% horse, 50% hippo
    Fiona: can't decide between jumpers or napping

Juuuuusssttt a little off subject but once, when I was about seven months preggers, I got a call in the middle of the night, a deep voiced guy asking me if I could handle X amount of inches. (You get the drift, don't you?? I don't want the mod to ban me for going into too much 'splaining...) Even though, half asleep, I said "No, but I bet your boyfriend could." He hung up for some reason, quite forcefully if I 'members rightly. Strangely, I never heard from him again...

Every time I put a CL ad for something, I get emails from who-knows-where asking if it is still available. Even though, in the ad I state I will not respond to emails, only phone calls where I can see the number called from. Once I got one which said it was from a female but the name above said it was from a Samuel Johnson...hello?? I asked why it said that, never got an answer.
    Last edited by goneriding24; Aug. 7, 2012 at 11:22 PM. Reason: .
    GR24's Musing #19 - Save the tatas!!

Same thing here... is your item for sale...
    BUT I've also gotten bombarded with propositions for you know what.. saying "you sound really hot in your add"
    Ok, so X saddle for sale for X amount with X cosmetic flaw
    apparently means I'm hot & sexy...
    neeto.
    I did reply to one & said nice try scam artist...
    and the person RESPONDED with a "thank you"
    ....... pausing

[QUOTE=ChocoMare;6485026]

Hello, I came across your Ads and I'll like to know the following questions regarding the ad. Q#1. How long have you owned it? Q#2. a) Have you owned it from new? b) If not how many previous owner? Q#3. Why are you selling it? Q#4. In your opinion, what sort of condition is it? Q#5. Any available photo? Q#6. How much are you asking for it? Q#7. Do you accept a Cashier Check as a mode of payment. Hope to read from you soon. Get back to me with your name and address to issue payment for you. Thanks Debbie..

What's even worse is when you get these messages off of the ads for the horses!

My friend, who is a pastor, always tells the telemarketers that she is happy to listen to their spiel, but after they are done, they need to listen to her talk about Jesus. They usually hang up.

Would you like to hear something even better?

I had a scammer contact me in regards to my shavings-free horse manure ad that I posted on Craigslist. They wanted to know when they could send a shipper to come pick up my "item" and was the "item still for sale" and was the "item in new condition?"

It's an ad for horse manure.

Knowing it was a scammer, I contacted a friend of mine who works at the Atlanta branch of the FBI and asked if he'd like to have some fun.

I replied to the scammer, giving them a chance, with "this is horse manure. It is not a 'new item.' This is the fecal matter ("poop") from horses."

They continued with "I am very interested and can send cashier's check."

Okay......as informed by my friend.....I provided the scammer with "my" mailing address so she could send the check to "me."

FBI Office of Atlanta.

They asked if the "item" was available for pick up. I said, "well, no, I haven't received your payment yet."

They sent me a USPS tracking number. I told them I would let them know when it was received. They asked again if they could send their "shipper" to pick up my "item." I told them that there must have been a mix up because the check was sent to the wrong address, and I never heard from them again.

Priority Mail Service - Atlanta, GA - July 13, 2012 - Delivered - Delivery Confirmation

Yep - as confirmed. The scammer had, indeed, sent a "cashier's check" to the FBI here in Atlanta. Friend handed it over to a fraud division as well as contacted the USPS for mail fraud charges.
    If wishes were horses then beggars would ride...
    DLA: Draft Lovers Anonymous
    Quote Originally Posted by talkofthetown View Post
    As in, the majikal butterfly-fahting gypsy vanners.

Quote Originally Posted by HydroPHILE View Post
    Would you like to hear something even better?

I had a scammer contact me in regards to my shavings-free horse manure ad that I posted on Craigslist. They wanted to know when they could send a shipper to come pick up my "item" and was the "item still for sale" and was the "item in new condition?"

It's an ad for horse manure.

Knowing it was a scammer, I contacted a friend of mine who works at the Atlanta branch of the FBI and asked if he'd like to have some fun.

I replied to the scammer, giving them a chance, with "this is horse manure. It is not a 'new item.' This is the fecal matter ("poop") from horses."

They continued with "I am very interested and can send cashier's check."

Okay......as informed by my friend.....I provided the scammer with "my" mailing address so she could send the check to "me."

FBI Office of Atlanta.

They asked if the "item" was available for pick up. I said, "well, no, I haven't received your payment yet."

They sent me a USPS tracking number. I told them I would let them know when it was received. They asked again if they could send their "shipper" to pick up my "item." I told them that there must have been a mix up because the check was sent to the wrong address, and I never heard from them again.

Priority Mail Service - Atlanta, GA - July 13, 2012 - Delivered - Delivery Confirmation

Yep - as confirmed. The scammer had, indeed, sent a "cashier's check" to the FBI here in Atlanta. Friend handed it over to a fraud division as well as contacted the USPS for mail fraud charges.
    awesome!!!!!
    I will do this in the future..
    the NOT!! Spoiled!! Arabian Protectavest poster pony lives on in my heart http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o...pscc2a5330.jpg

Love the FBI story. Yesterday, I responded to a CL ad about an assistant job in a chiropractic office. I have gotten four different emails in response to it. Two from "staffing" companies, and two from people claiming to live in different countries who are glad that I have applied to be their personal assistant. WHAT??
    "A horse gallops with his lungs, perseveres with his heart, and wins with his character." - Tesio

Quote Originally Posted by Mara View Post
    I told the Olan Mills people that their photo package deal sounded great, but regrettably it would be wasted on me as I am a vampire and therefore do not photograph.

Told the floor cleaning people that I live in a shack with dirt and wood chip flooring.

Then I put my number on the Do Not Call list.
    I hope for your sake that the Do Not Call list works for you. I've been on there for ages and it used to work but not lately. I renewed again last yr but they still call. I even tell some of them that I report them to the NYS Attorney General's office and I don't think it phases them at all.

I know not-for-profit, political and companies you've done business with can call but it's the robo-calls that seem to come through no matter what you do. The calls that start out with a recorded message, like "Hi, This is Rachael with Card Services and I can lower your CC intererst rate. Press 1 if you're interested and 2 to stop the calls." So initially I press 2. A day or 2 later the same call comes in so I press 1 and ask nicely to be removed from their call list as I pay my credit card bill in full. Another day to wk later the call comes in again. This time I press one and let the AH have it. Still doesn't do any good. So then I do a Call Trace, which costs me $1.50/trace and report them to the Do Not Call Registry. It stops them for a short pd of time. I've gotten to the point that unless I'm expecting someone to call, I don't bother to answer the phone unless I'm sitting or standing right there. Even then I'll wait till it goes to the answering machine. If it's someone that wants to talk to me and they start to leave a message I pick up. More than likely once the 'caller' realizes it's an answering machine, they don't leave a message.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

I should mention that a popular address used for scammers is "bellair.net." couriers@bellair.net , expressfreightlines@bellair.net, etc.
    If wishes were horses then beggars would ride...
    DLA: Draft Lovers Anonymous
    Quote Originally Posted by talkofthetown View Post
    As in, the majikal butterfly-fahting gypsy vanners.

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

My brother got the Mother of all Scam Emails.
    I quote it here, in its entirety:

"help me ...please..."

WTFruitbat?
    Really?

My spamblocker works great, I have yet to get a plea from a Nigerian Banker holding millions just for me!
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

Anybody get one of these today? I emailed back asking if she was hacked and if not she should just leave anyway since a hotel manager can not hold you hostage but she replied that it was real and she really did need MY? help. This is a business I am familiar with.

Hello ,

I'm writing this with tears in my eyes,my family and I came down here to Madrid Spain for a short vacation and we were mugged at gun point last night at the park of the hotel where we lodged,all cash and credit card stolen off us but luckily for us we still have our passports with us...

We've been to the Embassy and the Police here,but they're not helping issues at all they asked us to wait for 3weeks but we can't wait till then and our flight leaves in few hours from now but we're having problems settling the hotel bills and the hotel manager won't let us leave until we settle the hotel bills,we are freaked out at the moment...Well I really need your financially assistance...Please let me know if you can help us out,Write me back so i can tell you how to get it to me....

Equine TLC

Caring for the Horse and Rider
    www.equinetlccare.com
    22138 Dickerson Rd
    Dickerson, MD 20842
    equinetlc1@yahoo.com
    (301)919-5878

It's a scam too. Similiar to the "Dear Grandma: I was arrested in Lower Slobovia and need bail money."

I've gotten similiar HELLLP emails and they're all scams.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.