The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Quote Originally Posted by IronwoodFarm View Post
    A horse enthusiast is anyone who likes horses. Obviously equestrians are a subset of this bigger category. There are far more people who are interested in horses who do not own them, ride them or come in contact with them. That's the market NBC wants.

I actually happen to agree with them. The way to have horse sports thrive and grow in this country is to have a bigger base of support. You want to increase your horse enthusiast base. That means educating your audience in a very basic way about the sport they are watching.

I consider myself a figure skating enthusiast. I have never owned skates, wanted to go to a skating rink, or understand all the fine points of skating. But I was raised listening to Dick Button and have a basic understanding of the sport. I like watching it and will be part of the audience for the next Winter Olympics.
    My point is that someone like Dick Button does not dumb down his sport for the audience, and neither should the commentators for the equine sports.

Like you I was grateful for any coverage at all, just pointing out how I think it could be better.

Oh MY! You don't think that Dick Button dumbed down Olympic level figure skating? You think that whater he said is as complex as it got? I disagree with you, bigtime, there. I am not even a skating "enthusiast"; I only watch the Olympic skating competitions. But, even I get to yawning at his commentating half way through. I could see what he was seeing and anticipate what he was going to say before he said it.
    Don't Worry About Hurting My Feelings Because I Guarantee You, Not One Bit Of My Self Esteem Is Tied Up In Your Acceptance.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Helpus View Post
    Oh MY! You don't think that Dick Button dumbed down Olympic level figure skating? You think that whater he said is as complex as it got? I disagree with you, bigtime, there. I am not even a skating "enthusiast"; I only watch the Olympic skating competitions. But, even I get to yawning at his commentating half way through. I could see what he was seeing and anticipate what he was going to say before he said it.
    No he did not dumb down his commentary. He called out people who were unprepared and applauded those who were. What impressed me most about him was the year, either OG or Worlds, where before the competitor got on the ice - he told us while she was good but did not the same financial backing as most US or USSR/Russian skaters. He pulled back the curtin to let us know how hard it is to get to that level and the frustration/heartache some competitors have to struggle with.
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

I hear that Mckayla Maroney was not impressed with the NBC dressahge commentary this year..

http://mckaylaisnotimpressed.tumblr.com/

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Helpus View Post
    Nope. He actually tried to explain the different edges used with different jumps, etc.

The equestrian coverage, OTOH, is so dumbed down you'd think a chimpanzee could ride an Olympic course if you took the commentators at their word.