The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default UPDATES beg. post #34-Just read the forum rules, I *think* this is OK to post here...

...if it isn't, I'm sure someone will tell me

I need help placing this horse. I can raise enough to cover bail and Coggins, but I can't keep him.

I already contacted 2 STB rescues, am waiting to hear back, thought I would post here as well.

I read a good few of the broker and rescue pages every week, but I never had a horse keep me up all night like this one has. Older, thin, blind in one eye, but such dignity; managed all those years of work and still has clean legs; rides, drives, still has shoes; a good looking gentleman who won't even get a hearty last meal before his life is handed over for a hundred bucks. Add to all of that the fact there is pretty much no serious interest in him on the page, and he is a 'perfect storm' horse for me -- just gotta get him out of there.

I'm not asking for money, just leads on anyone who could give this guy a home. TIA.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater
    Last edited by michaleenflynn; Oct. 14, 2012 at 01:56 PM. Reason: Changed 'transport' to 'Coggins' -- half asleep when I wrote this, sorry!
    VP Horse & Carriage Association of NYC

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-F...ref=ts&fref=ts

....oh, and maybe those of you with FB accts could cross-post? Thanks.

Oh good lord. If I had space I'd take him and let him be a horse.....damn.

Where is he?

Quote Originally Posted by hundredacres View Post
    Oh good lord. If I had space I'd take him and let him be a horse.....damn.

Where is he?
    He's in western PA, Hundred....not that far from you!

Edit: Oh, sorry, I didn't see that you said you had no space! I'm sleep-deprived, sorry.
    Last edited by michaleenflynn; Jul. 29, 2012 at 09:50 AM.

Oh that breaks my heart. Too far, and horse budget already stretched.

Quote Originally Posted by Kwill View Post
    Oh that breaks my heart. Too far, and horse budget already stretched.
    Thanks anyway Kwill, keep a good thought for us

Eva, if no can offer this horse a safe place to land, could you rescue him, give him a good month and the humanely euthanize? I'm sure a few of us Cothers would be willing to help out with this. (I know this is not an ideal solution but it is a "better" solution than what that old boy is facing right now.)

Quote Originally Posted by cheval convert View Post
    Eva, if no can offer this horse a safe place to land, could you rescue him, give him a good month and the humanely euthanize? I'm sure a few of us Cothers would be willing to help out with this. (I know this is not an ideal solution but it is a "better" solution than what that old boy is facing right now.)
    Totally agree that this would be the right course of action if all else fails, Cheval. Problem is, my horses are boarded in Manhattan, every single stall in our stable is accounted for. We do have an Amish farmer in PA where we turn out, I don't know if he is taking more horses now...I know a couple people who have horses upstate, maybe they would be willing to take him for the month. I'm gonna think on it, see what I can come up with as a plan B, thanks so much for bringing it up

I board retirees, and while I could take him for one month, I would get attached and there is no way I could then put him down, even though I recognize that it is better than going to slaughter. I just don't have room for a nonpaying horse right now -- I have two retirees of my own and a rescue donkey. But if there is anything I can do to help I would like to . . .

What a grand old man!

Sadly, I'm too far away, and with the terrible drought we've had this year, hay is in short supply. I think I have enough to take my current critters through the winter, but it would be hard to find enough to feed another horse right now
    "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn’t merely train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming part dog."
    -Edward Hoagland

I may be able to haul if someone would want to take him but would need to get him to the Cincinnati/NKY area depending on the time frame. Can't do it between Tues and Thurs this week because of work but I could do it after.

I'm willing to go get him and bring him to my area or anywhere in-between, no need to reimburse for fuel. I wish I could take him but that would just be too much of a stretch for my finances.

Quote Originally Posted by GaitedGloryRider View Post
    I may be able to haul if someone would want to take him but would need to get him to the Cincinnati/NKY area depending on the time frame. Can't do it between Tues and Thurs this week because of work but I could do it after.

I'm willing to go get him and bring him to my area or anywhere in-between, no need to reimburse for fuel. I wish I could take him but that would just be too much of a stretch for my finances.
    Darn, I'm from Cincinnati but I don't live there now.
    HAS provides hospital care to 340,000 people in Haiti's Artibonite Valley 24/7/365/earthquake/cholera/whatever.
    www.hashaiti.org blog:http://hashaiti.org/blog

Yes, Haiti is a little far from Cincinatti ... but I bet you are doing good works there, too.

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

Quote Originally Posted by SMF11 View Post
    I board retirees, and while I could take him for one month, I would get attached and there is no way I could then put him down, even though I recognize that it is better than going to slaughter. I just don't have room for a nonpaying horse right now -- I have two retirees of my own and a rescue donkey. But if there is anything I can do to help I would like to . . .
    SMF, can you PM what your board charge would be for this guy?
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

Sure, I'll PM you, but I live in a very expensive part of the country, so my board -- compared nationally -- is high for retirement board.

SMF11, Gaited, and Lucass - thank you so much for weighing in with concerns and really fantastic offers. I am (impatiently) waiting for emails and/or phone calls, hoping to maybe firm up a placement. I will be back here as soon as I hear.
    Last edited by michaleenflynn; Jul. 29, 2012 at 06:54 PM.

Am I reading right that he has found a home? The fb page seems to say this...is that you?

Thank you Wayside, HorsesinHaiti, and Kwill for your good thoughts

OK, here's the update - a person who quietly does tons of rescue work saw my FB post and contacted me. She not only set up a link for donations for this boy, but she actually deals with the group in western PA who have him right now. Her trucker goes there regularly, and she has access to quarantine premises near Lancaster. She called them and arranged everything, and I posted the link on my FB pages for donations, and we already have almost $500! We have a goal of $1000, this person said that should be a good enough budget for bail, taxi, quarantine, vet, and board till after quarantine while we try to get him placed.

I am SO flippin' psyched, this person made this so easy, I had no idea we'd get it done, nevermind get it done this quickly

Arthur is being transported tomorrow to quarantine, and I'll be going to PA in 10 days to see him, might even bring some harness with me and see how he drives, if I think he is feeling up to it I'll post pics.

I want to thank everyone here again for your concern and wonderful offers. I'll be back to this thread with pics, and then again when he is ready to be placed - I am hoping that won't be hard.

If you want to take a look (am I allowed to post a donation link? Oh well...) click on the link - if you click on the RSS feed, you can see the actual donations, we are doing good!!

Thank you, thank you again!

http://maplehillfarm.chipin.com/arth...rdbred-gelding
    Last edited by michaleenflynn; Jul. 30, 2012 at 07:39 PM.

Spacy - no, no home yet, but we are on the way! He is being picked up tomorrow, check out the post above ^^^, and thanx for good thoughts!

This is so much better than my suggestion!