The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default That Awkward Moment When Your BF Shrinks Your Eventer Prospect

Just thought I'd share a funny little anecdote and picture. I've been looking at it throughout the day and I can't help but laugh!

Last night after cleaning stalls I took my guy on a quick bareback jaunt around the property. My darling bf was standing and watching (with a bit of pony lust in his eyes I swear) so I stuck him up on top of my gelding. Holy crud, I know he isn't a big horse by any means and my boyfriend is 6'5" but he literally makes Percy look like a miniature pony! I've decided he's gotta have the guts of Teddy O'Connor if I expect him to be my future eventer
    ~Over or Through~

A Blog of Percy's Journey!

Lady Godiva eat your heart out!! :-)
    "I am still under the impression there is nothing alive quite so beautiful
    as a thoroughbred horse."

-JOHN GALSWORTHY

"We're going to need a bigger horse!"

How big is your horse?
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

I will give you a quote from Karen O'Connor when I asked her how she adjusted from riding Biko to Upstage (just then starting at the 4* level) and she whispered, "Shhhh, we don't tell him he's little."

I will never forget that!

Quote Originally Posted by runnyjump View Post
    I will give you a quote from Karen O'Connor when I asked her how she adjusted from riding Biko to Upstage (just then starting at the 4* level) and she whispered, "Shhhh, we don't tell him he's little."

I will never forget that!
    hahaha love it! I personally gravitate towards the little ones. In my personal biased opinion they are more fun and can be extremely athletic. Also agree that most of the successful ones don't realize how small they are

I've never measured him, but id say 15'3 on a good day he seems to be a perfect size for me as I'm 5'8. His heart girth takes up my leg perfectly, and he has a wonderfully powerful stride. I sure wouldn't mind having him a bit bigger, but I'm very content with him

I love that quote by karen o'connor. I'm going to remember that (and probably add it to my sig line. Hehe)
    ~Over or Through~

Love it! Your bf looks very happy up there...that's a good sign! I certainly thought that Teddy O'Connor couldn't have possibly known he was a pony. I loved the photo of him at Rolex with the other two horses/riders. He still didn't look like he knew he was the small one of the bunch. Never underestimate a small horse!

My DH is 6'2" and has ridden my 14.2 hand mare a couple of times...here's a photo from a day when he got on her after me (hence the too-small saddle) and I just had to get a photo. Your picture reminded me of it so I had to go search for it on my old computer and upload it to FB: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...5&l=2f9ae00bc8
    Erin
    Dodon Farm - Home of Salute The Truth, Thoroughbred Stallion and on Facebook
    The Retired Racehorse Training Project, a 501(c)3 Non profit organization.

Erin that's a great pic! Gotta love having big men and tiny horses in our lives My bf would LOVE to start riding more (has ridden a bit on my horses and his aunt trained arabians) and I'd LOVE to snatch up another prospect to train for him. However, fella is convinced the only horse that he could fit on would be an 18h fire breathing black draft. There's no way I could possibly train one or feed it!

I've been looking at some canter ads thinking maybe I could find something lanky off the track for him. He prefers having something big enough he can wrap those legs around, but there aren't a whole lot of horses like that in my area. Heck, if I could find the right horse he would probably start eventing!
    ~Over or Through~

Dang, you missed two BEAUTIFUL drafties at the Camelot Auction two weeks ago. Those girls would've made your BF look small!!
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

Quote Originally Posted by RedxHandedxJill View Post
    However, fella is convinced the only horse that he could fit on would be an 18h fire breathing black draft. There's no way I could possibly train one or feed it!
    Lots of drafties are pretty mellow, and easy keepers. The vast majority of the ones I've taken care of you had to watch so they wouldn't get fat. You could do it!!

Another option would be a Standardbred. My DH is NOT a horse person, but when I had a bunch of options of horses to put him up on, his favorite rides by far were the Standardbreds. They took up his leg (he's a bit over 6 foot) but without being wide, so no strain on his knees, are kind-tempered and often come in BLACK.

What is it with guys and black horses?
    LOL, most guys I've known, if it is taller then your horse, has some arch in it's neck and is black, they are happy men.

Hahaha river otter I just read your last sentence to my bf and he simple nodded and said "yep!" He also said if its a "flashy, splashy paint that's okay too"
    ~Over or Through~

Hahaha river otter I just read your last sentence to my bf and he simple nodded and said "yep!" He also said if its a "flashy, splashy paint that's okay too"
    ROFL, yup! There's always one other flashy color they like - my sweetie also loves a light buckskin with high black - but black always works!!

They sure are silly. Though I'm ALWAYS immedietely drawn to a bay with a big ole blaze on it's face. So I guess it must just be a thing for those who have the bug I actually found a nice big horse on CANTER that I'm absolutely in love with who get this, is 17h and BLACK. BF appeared to approve. I'm gonna talk to the trainer sometime today
    ~Over or Through~

Woohoooo! That is awesome! Let us know if you get him!

I've got a thing for bays too, especially bright ones.

They sure are silly. Though I'm ALWAYS immedietely drawn to a bay with a big ole blaze on it's face. So I guess it must just be a thing for those who have the bug I actually found a nice big horse on CANTER that I'm absolutely in love with who get this, is 17h and BLACK. BF appeared to approve. I'm gonna talk to the trainer sometime today
    Good luck! I hope he works out.
    Erin
    Dodon Farm - Home of Salute The Truth, Thoroughbred Stallion and on Facebook
    The Retired Racehorse Training Project, a 501(c)3 Non profit organization.