The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan. 9, 2006
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    375

    Default VA Horse Center tack stall question

    Morning all,

    Our Pony Club is headed to Lexington next week for Championships. The tack room will be in a stall and we're looking to hang things on the walls. It's difficult to explain, but we have excess sections of metal bars that were used as stall dividers. They are 6' long, 30" wide, with a steel bar every 3". We will hang one on the wall, lengthwise, so the steel bars are parallel to the floor. This will be used to hang bridle racks, clothes hangers and any other thing that needs to hang. Needless to say, it will be heavy with tack, plus the 25# weight of the steel itself.

    Has anyone found hooks that will fit over the concrete block strong enough to hang something from? I am not all that mechanically inclined and the kids are responsible for setting up their own tack room, so it really needs (14, 15 y.o's) to be teen friendly and stable.

    Any tips on tackroom setup and wall hangers greatly appreciated.
    Alison Howard
    Homestead Farms, Maryland www.freshorganicvegetables.com



  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan. 5, 2010
    Posts
    2,152

    Default

    I'm having trouble remembering visually if the stalls are open at the top or not... but I'm thinking a large S hook (4 of them or so..) from home depot (like the kind that screw into wood for hanging bicycles and stuff, but with a hook on both sides) would work.

    Also, if tis' a dedicated tack stall, leaning it against the wall at a 10-15 degree angle would work... then for safety you could "retain" the top somehow... and maybe a couple cinder blocks to keep the bottom from sliding out if it gets heavy.

    Not sure if that meets USPC safety standards, but that's how I'd approach it
    Nudging "Almost Heaven" a little closer still...
    http://www.wvhorsetrainer.com



  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan. 29, 2000
    Location
    Brownsburg, VA
    Posts
    2,992

    Default

    I'm having a hard time envisioning anything that is wide enough at the top to hang over the concrete block. It would have to have extentions in the back that would hang into the adjacent stall, that would have a horse in it, and therefore would not be safe.

    I've used these in my feed room that hang from the stall partition...but again....I don't think they are wide anough from the top to hook over the cement block.

    http://www.sstack.com/stable_racksor...p-utilty-hook/

    Most people at the horse center use the metal mesh front partitions to hang bridle racks from. and you would obviously only get to use the half of the stall front that isn't the sliding door.
    "No matter how cynical I get its just not enough to keep up." Lily Tomlin



  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct. 25, 2010
    Location
    Good olde Hazard Co. Maryland
    Posts
    225

    Default

    Also just wanted to let you know parents are allowed to help with move in. That means they can help set up the heavy stuff! I can't remember what I used when I was there last. Also a side note... Be nice to the parking people. One of them is my mom! hahaha



  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr. 27, 2003
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    1,285

    Default

    What barn are you going to be in?

    If you are in the east complex, the stalls are open up top and the cement walls are thick.


    I agree with Belg though, depending on the weight and size it would be safer to angle the rack on the wall.

    Good luck at Championships!
    Last edited by cswoodlandfairy; Jul. 16, 2012 at 03:37 PM.
    Forrest Gump, 15, OTTB
    Little Bit Indian, 27, TB

    Owner of Spur of the Moment, Custom made spur straps! Find us on Facebook



  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan. 5, 2010
    Posts
    2,152

    Default

    I don't recall at all, I haven't been there in a couple years... are the stall floors concrete or earth? If concrete and you want to go with a leaning rack, maybe getting a chunk of garden hose or better still, automotive hose... and zip-tying it to the bottom of the rack.. would help keep it from sliding as well.
    Nudging "Almost Heaven" a little closer still...
    http://www.wvhorsetrainer.com



  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr. 27, 2003
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    1,285

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Belg View Post
    I don't recall at all, I haven't been there in a couple years... are the stall floors concrete or earth? If concrete and you want to go with a leaning rack, maybe getting a chunk of garden hose or better still, automotive hose... and zip-tying it to the bottom of the rack.. would help keep it from sliding as well.
    They have dirt floors....
    Forrest Gump, 15, OTTB
    Little Bit Indian, 27, TB

    Owner of Spur of the Moment, Custom made spur straps! Find us on Facebook



  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan. 29, 2000
    Location
    Brownsburg, VA
    Posts
    2,992

    Default

    I just noticed on the link I posted that they will have hooks available for cement block - but not until September. Bummer!

    (And good luck next week! IF you want to get off the showgrounds, and get into the town of Lexington, Blue Sky Bakery has outstanding soups and sandwiches for lunch. They bake their own foccacia and breads.)
    "No matter how cynical I get its just not enough to keep up." Lily Tomlin



  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan. 9, 2006
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    375

    Default

    Great, thanks for the tips. Will follow up. I figured we weren't the only folks looking to save storage space.

    AHF, thanks for the food tip.
    Alison Howard
    Homestead Farms, Maryland www.freshorganicvegetables.com



  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb. 28, 2007
    Location
    Belvidere, NJ
    Posts
    117

    Default

    My last PC nationals was in 1999 but we were at the horse center a lot. If I remember correctly, we leaned things against the walls and were able to tie off at the top. The walls are thick and not sure if there would be something to fit over them.

    Take lots of clothes line and heavy duty wire ties.

    We used a corner saddle rack (4x4 post with eye hooks and then a separate piece for the saddle). Bridle rack I don't remember what we used but it wasn't big. Then we had the plastic Rubbermaid type of shelves (the are fast to put together) for our brushes.

    Have fun!



  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb. 26, 2007
    Location
    Bronx, NY/Atlanta, GA/Fort Dodge, IA
    Posts
    3,389

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ahf View Post
    I just noticed on the link I posted that they will have hooks available for cement block - but not until September. Bummer!
    Schneider's is not the exclusive supplier of Easy Up hooks, etc... I've seen them elsewhere (just don't recall where, offhand).
    Founder, Higher Standards Leather Care Addicts Anonymous
    Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.



  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan. 4, 2008
    Posts
    728

    Default

    From the Center website " Stalls are uniformly 12’ x 10’ with 7’ 10” tall walls that are 5 7/8” wide." You could also hang stuff from the rafters if they align with the back or sides of the stalls. IIRC we had to do that for YR tack stalls. Perhaps post in the Eventing forum or Hunter jumper to get more responses. Good Luck to your team.



  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb. 6, 2000
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    12,746

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ahf View Post
    I'm having a hard time envisioning anything that is wide enough at the top to hang over the concrete block. It would have to have extentions in the back that would hang into the adjacent stall, that would have a horse in it, and therefore would not be safe.

    I've used these in my feed room that hang from the stall partition...but again....I don't think they are wide anough from the top to hook over the cement block.

    http://www.sstack.com/stable_racksor...p-utilty-hook/
    One of the hooks in the link is 8" wide, and is designed to hang over cement block.
    (And I've used them "upside down" in wood stalls with a board to make a shelf. They're very handy.)
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

    ...just settin' on the Group W bench.



  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun. 5, 2002
    Location
    Inwood, WV
    Posts
    420

    Default

    The cement walls at the horse center are pretty thick. Also, with anything that hooks over the top of the wall you would have the back side of the hook going into a horses' stall. This may not be acceptable to the horse management judges as it could possibly cause a safety issue. When we went to the VA Horse center for a PC show we always snap hooked saddle racks to the front grate of the tack stall and used bridle hooks. For garment bags and to dry saddle pads we'd put up a few clothes lines from corner to corner around the support beams.



  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan. 29, 2000
    Location
    Brownsburg, VA
    Posts
    2,992

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ghazzu View Post
    I've used them "upside down" in wood stalls with a board to make a shelf. )
    Clever!! That idea never occurred to me, and would be a great solution for the feed room supplements - which are too wide for the baskets I'm currently using.

    Thanks!
    "No matter how cynical I get its just not enough to keep up." Lily Tomlin



  16. #16
    Join Date
    Apr. 27, 2003
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    1,285

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Benson View Post
    Morning all,

    Our Pony Club is headed to Lexington next week for Championships. The tack room will be in a stall and we're looking to hang things on the walls. It's difficult to explain, but we have excess sections of metal bars that were used as stall dividers. They are 6' long, 30" wide, with a steel bar every 3". We will hang one on the wall, lengthwise, so the steel bars are parallel to the floor. This will be used to hang bridle racks, clothes hangers and any other thing that needs to hang. Needless to say, it will be heavy with tack, plus the 25# weight of the steel itself.

    Has anyone found hooks that will fit over the concrete block strong enough to hang something from? I am not all that mechanically inclined and the kids are responsible for setting up their own tack room, so it really needs (14, 15 y.o's) to be teen friendly and stable.

    Any tips on tackroom setup and wall hangers greatly appreciated.

    Hi Benson! My friend works at the stable office at the VHC and asked me to forward this message on....

    There are electrical conduits running over each of the stalls and nothing can be hung or tied to the conduit. People have done it in the past and they have asked for it not to be done since there has been a lot of damage done to the conduits along with the threat of being electrified. If you have any questions please feel free to contact the stable office at 540-464-2966 or shoot them an email at stableoffice@horsecenter.org. They will be able to better suggest a safe way to achieve your goals!!!
    Forrest Gump, 15, OTTB
    Little Bit Indian, 27, TB

    Owner of Spur of the Moment, Custom made spur straps! Find us on Facebook



  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jan. 9, 2006
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    375

    Default

    That is great info cswf, I will do that.
    Alison Howard
    Homestead Farms, Maryland www.freshorganicvegetables.com



Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 49
    Last Post: Oct. 11, 2012, 03:18 PM
  2. Mats for wash stall with center drain
    By Phaxxton in forum Around The Farm
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Nov. 23, 2010, 11:53 AM
  3. German Horse Center Question
    By Platinum Equestrian in forum Dressage
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: Feb. 19, 2010, 11:08 PM
  4. Placement of Stall Lights: Center vs. Corner
    By Jennifer Alcott in forum Around The Farm
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: Dec. 28, 2009, 09:56 PM
  5. Tack Stall Drapes - Question From an Ignorant First Timer!
    By alterknowbetter in forum Hunter/Jumper
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: Aug. 24, 2009, 01:17 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •