The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default corgi is hoarse- blood test shows anemia- scary update

As of last week my boy became very lethargic. Blood tests done, showed anemia. Still don't know why but the hoarseness is a concern. Heading in now for a second blood test. Any experiences with this kind of thing?

My 10 yr old corgi who is a barker, has recently become hoarse. Doesn't stop him from barking but I have to wonder why. Anyone? Should I take him to the vet?
    Last edited by springer; Jul. 14, 2012 at 10:08 AM.

Yep. I dont think its an emergency, maybe wait a few days to see if it resolves but at 10 years old there is potential for a whole lot more than kennel cough. Not trying to scare you, but it would be worth a check up to make sure its nothing serious. I have known dogs to have laryngeal masses that just became "hoarse". Chances are, if it resolves within a few days its not that

Yes, you'll feel better knowing what's going on. Here's hoping it's nothing serious. If your corgi barks as much as my 3 do, it would serve 'em write to have the noise mechanism out of order for a while!

bumping up with update, count today is higher- in fact normal (47) but still very lethargic.

Has your dog eaten any bones, rawhites, pig ears lately? The reason that I ask is because my corgi decided to bite off his rawhide into two pieces and swallow them whole. The first indication that something was wrong was that his bark was off...he sounded like a wounded seal, and then it would wind down almost to a smoker's cough. I ended up having to take him to the emergency vet and they found the pieces wedged in his esophogus.... his throat is still sore 24 hours later. I am not saying anything could be stuck, my dog also showed other signs- gagging, coughing, pacing...but maybe if he swallowed something, it may have irritated his throat on the way down.
    "I'm holding out for the $100,000 Crossrail Classic in 2012." --mem
    "With all due respect.. may I suggest you take up Croquet?" --belambi
    Proud Member of the Opinionated Redhead Club!

With hoarseness, it could be a lot of things of course. But what jumps to the top of the list for me would be myasthenia gravis and the lethargy could be a result of aspiration pneumonia secondary to myasthenia gravis. Of course blood work and chest radiographs are in order. Good luck!