The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Talking A New Olympic Equestrian Sport

I'm slowly getting old VHS I want to keep transferred to DVD. Picked up the latest tonight, which was all the equestrian stuff from 1992, when they had three by-subscription cable channels for the not-major-network stuff. Hours and hours of horses.

Just now, in putting it up, I noticed that the two DVDs of 1992 Olympic show jumping were labeled at the video shop as 1992 Olympic Slow Jumping. The owner of the video store is totally non horsey. He called to double check spelling on dressage to make sure he was reading it right from the tape label. Never occurred to me to double check it on the others in that same call.

Must admit, this has tripped off my imagination. At the moment, I'm picturing something like Chariots of Fire, like the beach scene, only with jumps. The mental version before that was a jumping freestyle to a very leisurely Blue Danube Waltz.

So a new Olympic equestrian sport has been invented.

1992 Olympic Slow Jumping
    I didn't know they had Hunters in the 1992 Olympics.
    ...somewhere between the talent and the potato....

Those were the good old days when the Outdoor Life Network carried lots of equestrian events. Unfortunately, in its devolution through Versus to NBC Sports, virtually all horse-related programming went pffft!
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Frank B View Post
    Those were the good old days when the Outdoor Life Network carried lots of equestrian events. Unfortunately, in its devolution through Versus to NBC Sports, virtually all horse-related programming went pffft!
    "Outdoor Life" is a foreign concept to the vast majority of people nowadays it seems....
    Nudging "Almost Heaven" a little closer still...
    http://www.wvhorsetrainer.com