The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Just started out a new little male Cavalier King Charles Spaniel in the ring. 7 months old. Won his first class. Nothing else - but can't expect more at this age.

But I was seriously impressed with how well he showed. Standing up nicely on the table and letting judge check his teeth with no issues. Even stood up well on the line.

Now, if his bite stays correct as he matures....he might just be a keeper.
    Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

Right now my puppy Vale, who I bred and co-own is at the Garden State IW Specialty which is being held in PA. I believe she won her Sweeps class yesterday and either was BOS in Sweeps or Best in Sweeps. She just turned 12 months old, and if I may brag (well you did ask, LOL!), she was Best Puppy at the Irish Wolfhound Club of America Specialty in May, and then Best Puppy at the Canadian Specialty in September, then won first in her class in Sweeps and Regular judging at the Delaware Valley Specialty in October.

Judging continues today so I will find out how she does in regular judging. The show was supposed to be held outdoors, but because of the storm, judging was moved into the hotel ballroom. Much as I would love to see her, I am glad to be out of the path of the storm, and I'm sure her co-owners will keep her safe. Hope everybody and their hounds stays safe!!!! They may be judging by flashlight.

I am home, trying to get a breeding between a visiting bitch and one of our males. Still too early according to the progesterone test results.

I will send a picture of puppy Vale if I can figure out how to do it!

OK, here is Vale at 12 months winning her class at the IWADV Specialty Oct 8:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=3&theater

Congratulations!! She sounds like one heck of a girl. She looks so balanced and fluid. I bet she is a dream to watch in the ring.

At what point did you have an inkling that she was destined to be a total rockstar?

1 members found this post helpful.

I'll play. Doberman. I took my not-so-little princess Zelda http://pets.webshots.com/photo/21109...70916460wxwzEE to a couple shows over the last year and she qualified each time and now has her CD title. Which is a special accomplishment as she did a really good job of almost dying this summer courtesy of a couple of dress socks...

Then I got busy with our new house. I did work our obedience trial this weekend and decided rally looks like it would be fun (although my hard-core classic obedience and ring-sport friends scoff at me for daring to utter such a thing).
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by GraceLikeRain View Post
    Congratulations!! She sounds like one heck of a girl. She looks so balanced and fluid. I bet she is a dream to watch in the ring.

At what point did you have an inkling that she was destined to be a total rockstar?
    Thanks, Grace!

I would say I knew she had the potential to be really good at six weeks, and became more sure of her potential as she matured. However, I think the most you can say of any wolfhound puppy is that it has potential. There is so much that can go wrong, so easily, and in so many different ways!

She does have the smoothest movement, we hope to have a lot of fun with her as she continues to develop.

My blue Dobe bitch Miley earned her Rally Excellent title this past weekend!!! YAHOOOOOO!!!!!!!! Now I think we'll set our sights on her RAE

Quote Originally Posted by vtdobes View Post
    My blue Dobe bitch Miley earned her Rally Excellent title this past weekend!!! YAHOOOOOO!!!!!!!! Now I think we'll set our sights on her RAE
    Congratulations!! Rally is such fun! My border terrier, Mona, and I are getting ready to head down the RAE path, as well. Someone just recently passed on how much it costs to get your dog's RAE, considering you qualify every time in ring. You don't want to think about it We're going to take it nice and slow to spread the costs of it out over time....

My miniature poodle got three more points this weekend! Now we just need his last major and we'll be done and I can shave all this danged hair off! Huzzah!

Congrats to Miley for her Rally, and to Mr. Poodle! Candysgirl, do you groom and handle him yourself? Wow, they are so sculpted, like extreme topiary! I bet it will be a big change to not have to worry about keeping that coat perfect, good luck next weekend.

We have one show next weekend for the IW teen.....her color makes her look like she always needs a bath, sort of a muddy gray brindle.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleClick View Post
    Congratulations!! Rally is such fun! My border terrier, Mona, and I are getting ready to head down the RAE path, as well. Someone just recently passed on how much it costs to get your dog's RAE, considering you qualify every time in ring. You don't want to think about it We're going to take it nice and slow to spread the costs of it out over time....
    Well I just entered our first show towards our RAE (11/23 in West Springfield) and the entry fees were $55.95. So multiply that by 10 and you're at $560 in just entry fees (probably more as the other show I was looking at would have been $60). Then of course you have gas, hotel, etc etc!

Dexter went OH Group 2 this weekend and WD for a major.

He also got his CGC this past Monday. Does anyone have any experience with TDI vs Delta vs any of the other therapy groups?

Yay for Dexter!!

Solo went Winners Bitch, then Best of Breed over a male Special under a breeder judge. Then she made his cut of six for Hound Group, and there were some very big winning hounds there! Our "ugly duckling" has come a long way, although she is far from mature.

The bummer was that Bert Halsey, a professional handler and Rottie person, had a heart attack at the show, but the EMTs came and gave him CPR. I understand he is at the hospital in Roanoke, awaiting bypass surgery. Life is fragile!

Re Dexter's therapy certification, with Delta therapy certification you cannot feed raw, not sure about TDI.

Quote Originally Posted by Houndhill View Post
    Re Dexter's therapy certification, with Delta therapy certification you cannot feed raw, not sure about TDI.
    TDI is okay with raw feeding, that's why my boys are certified through them
    -Kady

We are going to Springfield on Friday for agility

Both my kids are TDI certified. We spend time with a Welcome Home group for soldiers coming back from Afghanistan and similar. Very rewarding

I've been having a great year. My girl is close to achieving her MACH and my young boy has now achieved both Masters titles in AKC agility. And we are moving up the ranks in CPE agility and just starting out in USDAA agility. Put a CDX on one dog and a BN on the other and some rally titles. It's been fun.

I know some of us were at the Concord, NC show last Sunday, so thought I would pass this along:

Please go to the facebook page for the Speedway Classic of the Carolinas Fall Dog Show and stay updated as information becomes available.

The item below is cross posting per Sarah\'s request with much appreciation for her help. Thank you.

****To all my friends and family in the dog show community, as a witness to yesterday�s event at the Fayetteville Kennel Club dog show in Concord, NC:

*****Many people have already heard about Bert Halsey, I want to make sure that everyone knows the facts about yesterday�s incident. I�m hoping that by posting this the dog show...
    �the community will react and rally so that this incident will never have to happen to anyone else�s loved one, companion, or fellow exhibitor.

*****For those who have not heard what happened, Bert Halsey suffered a heart attack while exhibiting his Rottweiler in the ring yesterday in Concord, NC at the Fayetteville Kennel Club Dog show. When he went down several exhibitors/spectators (who are nurses) stepped in to preform CPR on him. The EMT, which was the Cabarrus County EMS, was urgently alerted to the situation. The EMT sauntered (and I use this word literally) over to Bert as the whole arena was screaming for him to hurry to Bert�s aid. The more the dog show community hollered and screamed for him to rush to Bert�s side, the slower the EMT went. Thankfully, the nurses were vigorously performing CPR on Bert the entire time it took the EMT to arrive at his side. The EMT did not come prepared with a defibuator or a drug box, nor did he take charge of the emergency rescue, but rather the nurses feverishly worked on Bert while the AKC rep, Mary Dukes, called 911. Thankfully, a paramedic team finally arrived at the !
    show to take Bert to the hospital. After Bert was transported to the hospital, I looked after his dogs through the help of fellow exhibitors such as, Jamie Clute and Chris Racine, Bert�s vehicle was located and the dog that was locked inside the vehicle was rescued. I then transported all his dogs to DiDio Kennels owned and operated by Bob Busby. All dogs are happy, doing well, and their owners were notified. After talking to Bob Busby this morning, Bert is in Intensive Care, he was given a cat scan and a blood clot was ruled out. He is sedated and on a ventilator, he even opened his eyes last night. Today they are going to take him off of the sedation to assess the situation. By the grace of God, hopefully, Bert will be okay because of the efforts performed by the nurses that were at the show.

*****The reason for this post is to update everybody on Bert�s status, however, I am also asking the dog show community to contact the assistant director, Alan Thompson, at the Cabarrus County EMS at (704)-920-2602 regarding the EMT�s inexcusable and unacceptable behavior towards Bert�s incident. Had those nurses not feverishly performed CPR on Bert, he would not have been given the opportunity to fight for his life. For those of you who personally know Bert, you know he would give you the shirt off his back and would help you in any way he could. I am urging and pleading the dog show community (especially those of you who were at that particular show) to rally around Bert and his family and report the poor behavior of this EMT to the County supervisor. I also want to note that Bob Busby and show chair (Cathy Rubens) talked to an EMT supervisor that was on site at the show. The supervisor absolutely refused to give them the name and badge number of the EMT who responded to !
    Bert�s call. Perhaps through our collected efforts, we can keep this from happening to someone else. As I know more, I will update you. I want to personally thank you all of those who contributed any help, support, and/or assistance to this situation weather it be towards Bert or the care of his dogs. There are too many people to name, but I don\'t want you to go un-thanked.

***I urge you all to post and cross post this. The more people that are aware of this situation the better.

Sarah

From DKC Member:
    Irena Pulkstenis
    widgen1@earthlink.net

Thank you for posting this and I will spread the word.