The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Default Share Your Show Dog Updates

Now that my little man has hit the ring I can't wait for our next show. I've been bit by the show bug.

What's going on with your show dog? Upcoming shows? Pictures?

Anyone want to help me with my withdrawal symptoms?

We are headed to Vermont next week. Gale will be trying for her second Beginner Novice obedience leg as well as showing in breed. Her daughter will be old enough to make her debut in breed. Last month, Gale earned her second Rally Advanced leg and first Beginner Novice leg. Looking forward to a few days away.

We are struggling as a special after a very easy owner-handled time in the classes. Of course it doesn't help that we live in a *very* strong area for my breed, so even the pros have tough competition.

Not to mention the other specials have spent the summer campaigning the Northeast, while my dog has been hunting woodchucks in the back 40. We have only entered a small handful of shows since finishing his championship in November.

Showed today and did nothing...back tomorrow for a specialty....no expectations but you never know. Wouldn't mind the select points for our GCH....but I guess I'll show and hope for the breed win. But, no matter what, will get to spend the day with lots of friends so if I don't win, I hope one of my friends will!

Heading to a show this weekend, but I am only showing in Rally -- hopefully finishing a title. I will definitely visit the breed ring and cheer on some buddies. Not showing in conformation too much these days because we're waiting on our 9 month old to mature a bit more. She has seven points from two weekends out (including a 5 point major that she picked up as a 6 month old), but she is still SUCH a baby. Funny and fun little monster, though. She's only been in the ring a handful of times and is very opinionated. She won't take bait that's been in my mouth but will take it if it's only been in my bait bag or hand. And she does not like me to get down on the ground to hand stack her. But she's fine and stacks like a pro if I just kinda squat next to her. I've never had a dog that's this opinionated. Must be a bitch thing.

As for brags, I have a little one. Our National Specialty was about a month ago and we couldn't show our male special due to a conflict of interest with the judge. Our boy won the National in 2011 and this year, his son from his very first litter (the dog is not owned or bred by us) went WD/BOW/BBE. It was such a thrill and so much fun cheering this young guy and his owner/breeder on! We were very proud!

And I most definitely understand getting bit by the dog show bug! That's why show people end up having so many dogs!

Currently off for the moment - my little bitch is starting to look good again at 20 months, so it's about time to bring her out once more to see how we'll do. The competition is extraordinary in the ring right now - lots of quality is being bred locally - so I imagine most of us will be switching places in the Winner's ring until we are finished. That's been the pattern this year, anyway.

Great for the breed; not so much for my wallet.

(For GraceLikeRain: I have Cavaliers.)
    Last edited by Emryss; Jul. 12, 2012 at 10:53 AM. Reason: Added my breed
    Don't tell me about what you can't do. That's boring. Show me what you can do. - Mom

Look!

This is about half the litter that my next show bitch is coming from (11 puppies!) We're waiting on bites etc to develop. Three girls are potentials, and the breeder is keeping one. We go out to pick her up in early August

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleClick View Post
    As for brags, I have a little one. Our National Specialty was about a month ago and we couldn't show our male special due to a conflict of interest with the judge. Our boy won the National in 2011 and this year, his son from his very first litter (the dog is not owned or bred by us) went WD/BOW/BBE. It was such a thrill and so much fun cheering this young guy and his owner/breeder on! We were very proud!!
    That's not a little brag, that's a big one!! Huge congratulations - that's so exciting!!!

I cannot believe y'all posted all of this without pictures!!! I can't get my fix without lots and lots of pictures. I don't want demure mentions. Brag people!! Doubleclick I demand multiple pictures from you!

Dex went Variety 3 his second weekend showing and we are off to NC at the end of the month. I am desperately trying to pack some weight on him before then since he's a bit weedy right now.

Day to day he's just my barn dog/agility prospect so he spends more time looking like a rag a muffin than a show dog https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

He does get the occasional bath though https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...e=3&permPage=1 (even if it only lasts 2 hours before he gets nasty again)

1 members found this post helpful.

I'm also showing in VT this week (I live only an hour & a half from the show grounds so you bet I'm showing all 4 days!).

We are entered in obedience (Novice B-have one leg already) and Advanced Rally (will be our first try at Advanced). I will be the one with the blue Dobe bitch...can't miss us! Haha!

No shows in Arizona in the summer, so I am working a few dogs to start them in Rally this fall and also training one youngster to get har ready for our fall shows.

In the meantime, I am headed to the midwest in a few weeks to judge a show.
    We do not have an overpopulation of dogs, we have an under population of responsible dog owners!!!

Cole and I had a fun and productive spring.

We hit a few conformation shows, survived another stern judge , and did well enough to at least get into winner's dog at each outing.

We walked with our regional Irish setter club in South Boston's St. Patrick's Day Parade, the parade to end all parades! OMG was that fun.

We went to a setter symposium and got tips on show handling and rally, and best of all got introduced to quail!

We entered our first ever hunt tests, and looked for birds. Cole got an 8 for trainability!

We're on break now while I finish up the busy season at work, but plan on taking a rally class and doing more bird work. Now that we're beyond our puppy classes, it's not really worth entering conformation shows unless I go the professional handler route (Irish are so competitive!), but I may enter a local fun match show coming up for more learning experience.

In the mean time Cole will be keeping cool on summer vacation.

Pictures?? Well twist my arm

The easiest way to view pictures is just by visiting Walker's page on our website. There's lots of pictures of Walker and one of his son, Salem, who was BOW at the National (the pic isn't his big win pic but a sweeps pic from the same specialty).

We are still relatively new to the breed as breeders, so we feel VERY fortunate and lucky to have bred our Walker - he is the dog many people wait a lifetime for. He is a very versatile dog, so we are excited to see what else he can accomplish!!

Here's Walker's page:

http://www.faireviewborderterriers.com/Walker.html

Oh, and another little brag. My beloved Mona finished her Rally Advanced title on Saturday with a score of 97. I showed her Sunday for ring experience and she scored a 100 and got first place in her class!

He is stunning!! My first schnauzer came from a wonderful woman who also had borders. After my boy passed I strongly considered looking into a border but ultimately went with another schnauzer because I had such a wonderful experience with the first one.

I doubt I'll ever go without a schnauzer but looking at your eye candy is definitely rekindling that interest.

His jacket is stunning. Even in pictures you can tell that his coat is so hard and glossy.

I know that they can be more "terrier" than schnauzers but what are they like day to day? Do they have an off button?

Thanks for the compliments! I love the look of schnauzers - they are so stunning, but the grooming is more than I'd want to tackle! A nice schnauzer is serious, serious eye-candy.

The border terrier is A LOT of fun. They are purported to be the least terrier-ish of the terrier. They are very, very gamey and are probably the most successful earthdog breed. They will literally take on anything that they think is prey. At an earthdog event at our National, a border stumbled across a newly born fawn and locked onto its throat. They are that intense when it comes to working. If raised with cats, they can be ok. The dogs that live with me are very intense workers yet trustworthy with my cats. I am very clear with them about my opinions of chasing my cats. The dogs that live with my mom are lethal to cats. It depends on the dog and the training.

But, they can be very easy dogs to live with. For the most part, they are very fun dogs to live with and train. They are up for whatever, whether that be going for a jog, swimming, or lounging around all day. I also have a Doberman, and he is 100x more active than my borders. The learn very fast and excel in performance events. You can literally teach some of them something in like 5-6 repetitions. I just love how versatile this breed is and how they seem to excel in just about anything. They are very, very charming and personable but do need to be socialized with other dogs. For the most part, they are very friendly and tolerant of most. Like most terriers, they are not trustworthy off leash, even the best trained dogs.

It's amazing how many judges/handlers mention that they have a border as their pet. If you have any questions about them, don't hesitate to ask. I love trying to entice good people into the breed

Interesting thread -- please mention the breed you have to make it more interesting! Thanks -
    PennyG

My boy is a miniature schnauzer (10 months on the 30th).

My girl hit the ring for the first time since being on maternity leave. She was RWB the first day and WB the next two this past weekend. She just weaned her pups in April so I was thrilled.

I have Dobermans and my blue bitch, Miley, earned her first leg in Advanced Rally today with a score of 95 and 1st place!! And she earned her second leg in novice obedience with a score of 194 1/2 and fourth place (out of 12 dogs!). Good girl!!

Three more days of dog showing to go tomorrow and this weekend!

1 members found this post helpful.

good luck!!