The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Mommy Radar - Why don't men have it?

You know when the bells and sirens go off in your head!

So thanks to a lightly strained ankle I have been rather useless for 4-5 days. Ignoring it only made every thing worse.... crutches for 2 days when I needed to be mobile. Mostly sitting in the chair and then hobbling, but slowly everything was getting back to normal. It is just a tad stiff but better.

Only...

The hubby being the hubby and trying his best to help in this heat had to endure the holiday yesterday getting the house and the barn restocked with supplies. With a grin on my face I hobbled around the feed store, pointing and mandating #'s of bags of this and that. Then to Sam's Club and Walmart. I got a scooter at Sam's! Weeee!

Home then and he carried it all in and I stood leaning against the counter stocking the frig and shelves. Wanted to say "Not much fun is it Dear?" You know being the one that does it all....never a thanks. Never a concern as to the heat or the cold from the other half nor the creatures - great or small.

But it was hot and that would hardly be fair nor kind nor tactful.

That left all those feed bags and I suggested we wait until near dark. At 102 deg...just not smart to get too eager to work in the heat.

So at dusk we go out to the barn with the hubby to out the door ahead of me . As I hobble out the house and down the lane to the barn I see him backing up the truck to the barn.

WARNING SIRENS!!!!!! go off in my head!!!!!!!! Now I am running to the barn full out and screaming. He looks at me like I am an idiot....still backing up. Finally he stops and I start "the lecture" about being more careful please honey.

Yes once again Gracie (19 or 20 yr old barn cat) was a sleep in the shadow of the barn. All the cats/kittens go there every evening as the sun sets. The kitties play. The older cats watch...and DEAF Gracie generally falls asleep right there happy as a clam while she enjoys the evening starting to cool. She is stone deaf. Has been for 2 yrs. Can not even hear the old tractor anymore.

So Gracie is OK. Woke up with her usual half coo/meow when I picked her up. Hubby unloaded the feed for the most part. But I helped cuz afterall I just sprinted like Flo Jo to the barn.

Why don't men have Mommy Radar? Cuz the ankle hurts like heck today.

cause they just dont.... glad your cat is ok and alive!

My hubby is wonderful man with our daughter and dogs. But just doesn't have the mommy radar at all. not at all. it seems to be hardwired into women.

Because men aren't capable of being mommies. That and women have magic powers.

Quote Originally Posted by Preposterous Ponies! View Post
    Because men aren't capable of being mommies. That and women have magic powers.
    Magical Powers! I love that!

I dunno. A childless female friend - who's really great with kids, spends lots of time with her nieces & nephews, etc - insists she doesn't have the sixth sense that differentiates "he took my toy" from "my arm is severed" when she hears a crying child. I thought that went along with being a female of childbearing age, but apparently not...

Ha, I was just thinking along the same lines yesterday, but I wasn't wondering about the 'mommy radar' as much as the 'complete the task gene'. While I appreciate my hubby doing the dishes (occasionally) or emptying the dishwasher (even more occasionally) I always have to ask is it too much to 'finish the job you started?'. Example, the dishes will get washed and rinsed but the counter and floor in front of the sink will look like someone played in the sprinklers. Unloading the dishwasher will always lead to a stack of dishes on the counter that the hubby claims he's 'never seen before and doesn't know where they go'. Huh? How hard is it to remember to put a cup away IN THE SAME PLACE THAT YOU REMOVED IT FROM. Ah, but I digress. God bless him, he does love our animals but how many times does it take for the cat to do her FEED ME routine of acting lovey dovey (this is a cat who is a total beeeeyatch until she wants food) for him to realize no, she didn't suddenly turn into a snugly kitty.
    Hope you get well soon. Never fun to watch from the sidelines whilst recuperating from an injury.
    R.I.P. my sweet boy Tristan
    36 years old, but I was hoping you'd live forever
    5/5/75-7/5/11

Quote Originally Posted by My2cents View Post
    God bless him, he does love our animals but how many times does it take for the cat to do her FEED ME routine of acting lovey dovey (this is a cat who is a total beeeeyatch until she wants food) for him to realize no, she didn't suddenly turn into a snugly kitty.
    Yup, my hubby falls for that too. He stole one of my Morgan geldings cuz the hubby thinks he has a personality of a dog.

No....Dan jumps on the trailer cuz there is hay in there.

Dan joyfully goes where no horse has gone before. There green food to be had....what does it matter if there is work involved (being trail ridden) or danger about when the grass along the trail is tummy deep.

Dan never misses coming when called. Why would he? There are cookies waiting.

Dan stands up on the step under his stall door every day, eyes bugged out and begging for more feed. But the hubby thinks he is a friendly faithful dog. Nope, Dan is a greedy hog. He could care less who the giver is as long as he is the receiver of food. Dan is just smart enough to play to situation in his best interest and the hubby falls for it every time.

Yup they are best buddies all right.

My dh is pretty good with the animals but he is clueless with the kids sometimes. Just last weekend (when I wasn't with them), he took the kids to a restaurant on the way home from our camp, and didn't notice until they got out of the car that my 10 year old was still wearing her bathing suit. I mean, how do you not notice that?

So they had to go to an ice cream/snack shop for dinner. Which the kids thought was great, but still....I'm amazed that he could have had them pack the truck and ride in it for 30 minutes before noticing.

I'm glad Gracie is OK!

I don't know why most men are clueless about this sort of thing; they just are. I have to admit I laughed about S1969's husband not noticing dd's swimsuit, though!
    I loff my Quarter horse clique

I kill threads dead!

Quote Originally Posted by Preposterous Ponies! View Post
    That and women have magic powers.

DH doesn't understand how I, notorious for sleeping through storms, tractors working outside the window, any kind of commotion, can be awake and out of bed because I hear one of the dogs whining, and I also know when it is a "I need assistance whine"

He is also surprised, and I must admit so am I, that I can wake up every couple of hours, without an alarm, to check the foaling cam.
    I'm not sure if I grew out of stupid or ran out of brave.

Practicing Member of the Not too Klassy for Boxed Wine Clique

Haffy, and the pre vomit hucka sound of the cat will wake me up with hands in cupped position to 'catch' forthcoming hurl. I can then get up, clean up and get back in bed, all without hubby even altering his snore pattern.
    R.I.P. my sweet boy Tristan
    36 years old, but I was hoping you'd live forever
    5/5/75-7/5/11

YOU have to TRAIN them. The reason they don't have a clue is because women find it less trouble to just do it right, than train the useless buggers. You should start with your sons.
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

Quote Originally Posted by Equibrit View Post
    YOU have to TRAIN them. The reason they don't have a clue is because women find it less trouble to just do it right, than train the useless buggers. You should start with your sons.

I love what you wrote, Equibrit, but the problem is, it's hard to teach someone to CARE.
    I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
    I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09

Quote Originally Posted by Equibrit View Post
    LOL! This is what our daughter tells me about DH - my fault for not training him right in the early days!

OK he just left for the store without me so I could stay here off my feet and get some school work done.

Who wants to wager? Will he bring back the items on the list? The brands he was told to get? Or will he decide instead of this product maybe that product is better? Forget the list? Remain lost in Walmart until midnight?

After over 2 decades of marriage my money is on I will be running back to Walmart tomorrow to get the items I requested. Add me to the list of women who FAILED to train the man in her life correctly!

Just blame your MIL.
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

Yup...headed back to Walmart today.

Default i hear you!

and did you by any chance get a lecture on who you're neurotic and nothing bad was going to happen and how you just need to relax?

sigh...
    http://www.eponashoe.com/
    TQ(Trail Queen) \"Learn How to Ride or Move Over!!\" Clique

Positive reinforcement is the way to go. I used to use punishment, but some of them enjoy that, so it's useless for training.

Quarry Rat