The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

I just finished Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn. Its been on the best seller list for a while. If you think you have relationship problems, read this novel. I thought it was a fast read and twisty.
    Last edited by Bank of Dad; Nov. 9, 2012 at 09:49 PM.
    There is no snooze button on a cat that wants breakfast.

1 members found this post helpful.

This has been a very expensive thread for me

One of my favourite books ever was/is Shantaram. I highly recommend it.

Recently read the following:
    The Art of Racing in the Rain which I wouldn't have read if it hadn't been a gift. It was okay. I think it would make a better movie than a book.

Another gift was Lots of Candles, Plenty of Cake, by Anna Quindlen. Kind of a series of essays on life and growing old. Somewhat thought-provoking with humorous moments, but I found myself flipping through it at the end and wishing I didn't identify with so much of it.

SmokinSeventeen and Wicked Appetite by Janet Evanovich. I like the numbered series and Seventeen didn't let me down, but I keep getting gifts of her books and those written with a co-author (Charlotte Hughes) are STINKERS! I was so relieved that Wicked Appetite was a fun read.

I've kind of given up on Steve Jobs, although it is next to my bed in case I have trouble sleeping.

Also read Salvage the Bones by Jesmyn Ward. It was compelling enough, but I have mixed feelings about the dog fighting, and am wondering if the author participates in it, and debating whether the novel glorified or condemned it. Really a little bit of both, I think. Whatever the case, I doubt that the author would have hoped that that was the lasting thought or impression one would obtain from reading her novel, so at the least, it was a distraction.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteyPie View Post
    although it is next to my bed in case I have trouble sleeping.
    This is what I tell people to do with their mortgage terms...
    Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

Quote Originally Posted by Event4Life View Post
    If this thread and a recipes thread were left up and running after OT Day (or OT two weeks?!) closed, I would be so happy! I have had so many awesome book recs from this thread. Probably the best was "Shadow Divers" - I read it, then both my mom and my Dad did, we all loved it, and they have now passed it onto friends.
    LOL - my sister was engaged to John Chatterton back in the late '70s. He was an interesting guy. Loved reading Shadow Divers and seeing how he turned out.

I recently finished Saving CeeCee Honeycutt by Beth Hoffman. It was a very touching Southern family story. I highly recommend it.

I've just finished the most recent John Sandford in pb 'Shockwave'. It was very reliably JS - well written, interesting characters - a good read, entertaining.

Now I am reading 'The Birth of Venus' by Sarah Dunant, and liking it so far.
    A FINE ROMANCE - JC Reg Thoroughbred - GOLD Premium CSHA - ISR/OLDNA Approved
    CSHA Brickenden Stallion Award Winner - for Performance offspring.
    Please visit A Fine Romance on FB!

I just finished JK Rowling's book (for adults), "The Casual Vacancy". I ended up loving it. I almost had to forget it was Rowling, it is absolutely nothing like the HP books, no adventure or supernatural story lines. It is about local politics and quirky personalities in a small town in Britain, told in the perspective of various individuals. I thought the characters were very well-developed and the story just sucked me in. I would call it a "quiet book", but found myself going to bed earlier just so that I could read more. Probably not a book for everyone, but I wish I could find more like it.
    -Debbie / NH

My Blog: http://deborahsulli.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by cranky View Post
    I just finished JK Rowling's book (for adults), "The Casual Vacancy". I ended up loving it.
    Ohhh, i saw that in the store the other day and i wondered if it was good. luhv harry potter almost as much as my dog.

i am in a bit of a reading lull right now but am reading Riding Towards the Light, which was a book rec'd by Jimmy Wofford (an eventing guru for those unfamiliar with him). It's about this slightly obsessive dressage rider's life, journey to being a great rider, and his comparisons of riding with zen buddism. I find it quite inspiring actually, though he can get a little ranty given his obsession with perfection.

also listening to age of innocence by edith wharton. wonderful period piece.
    And the wise, Jack Daniels drinking, slow-truck-driving, veteran TB handler who took "no shit from no hoss Miss L, y'hear," said: "She aint wrapped too tight."

I finally decided to read 50 Shades of Grey and see what all the fuss is about I wasn't expecting it to be quite that umm intense. I'm debating on starting the second book. I admit the writing is horrible and the story unbelievable but part of me wants to read the next one.

Totally engrossed in the Charlaine Harris Aurora Teagarden series.
    Really great I figured since I loved all her sookie stackhouse series, I might try them. Fun mysteries! Next the Stephanie Pope mysteries.
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

Hilary Mantel's excellent Bring Up the Bodies, the sequel to Wolf Hall. I liked WH, i REALLY like this one...Thomas Cromwell and Henry VIII. Beautifully written and not as confusing as the first one. Maybe because now I know who everyone is
    Last edited by sprite; Nov. 21, 2012 at 08:36 PM. Reason: typo
    ****Indecision may or may not be my problem****

0 out of 1 members appreciated this post
    Please explain to me why anyone would give a thumbs down to someone personally liking a book?

This thumbs down thing is simple idiotic and for children....

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by happymom View Post
    Please explain to me why anyone would give a thumbs down to someone personally liking a book?

This thumbs down thing is simple idiotic and for children....
    My question as well, This thumbs down thing is getting weird.
    I think I have a personal hater, I just came back and had 11 ratings, 8 were bad. Seriously, I was just saying that is what I am reading.
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

Quote Originally Posted by happymom View Post
    Oh, I'm glad this is back up cuz I just started a lu-lu for discussion: When she Woke by Hillary Jordon. Get this, it takes place in a futuristic society which has been taken over by the extreme Christians. The main character has aborted a fetus she and the local well respected married minister produced and since she won't reveal the father (in more ways than one) or the Dr. who did the abortion, she has been found guilty of second degree murder. This society infects felons with skin coloring depending on the degree of severity of crime. She has been made blood red....
    I borrowed this book based on your description. I enjoyed it. Nice take on a dystopian society.

I also read 99% of Major Pettigrew's Last Stand by Helen Simonson. It's the story of a small English town frowning upon the budding romance of two seniors. One's an English Major and the other is a shop-keeper of either Pakistani or Indian descent. It wasn't gripping, and I put it down for a week and realized I didn't really care about the last 15 pages.

Prior to When She Woke I finished Divergent, by Veronica Roth, another dystopian society novel in a similar vein to The Hunger Games. Quick read, some interesting points made, so I may pick up the sequel.
    Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

Wool was free on Pixel of Ink recently, so I downloaded it. I was disappointed. It just didn't do anything for me. Glad I didn't pay for it.

Just finished The Revised Fundamentals of Caregiving, have Those We Love Most to read this weekend, along with Seating Arrangements. All from the library.

Just finished The Story of Edgar Sawtelle by David Wroblewski.

I'm re-reading The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. I think after that I'm re-reading The Hobbit. I just read the Hunger Games Trilogy. It was pretty entertaining.

I just finished (in two sittings) "Wonder" by R. J. Palacio. Easily one of the best books I've read in a long time. Seriously fantastic book.

Before that I finished "Mao's Last Dancer" by Li Cuxin, about a ballet dancer in China. Interesting read, I enjoyed it quite a bit.

Just finished re-reading for the third time MINK RIVER by Brian Doyle, such a poetic use of language.

LIFE OF PI was a good book. Now it's a movie.
    I find movie adaptations rarely as good as the book. Guess I'll have to wait 'til it comes to HBO.