The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

I highly recommend Following Atticus. If you love dogs, you'll love it. It's about a journalist who adopts a mini schnauzer that he sadly loses, but promptly gets another and climbs the White Mt's....following Atticus. Wonderful book!

Then I went to The Bet. Freakiest book I ever read. About a guy that allows himself to be hunted for 30 days but an old rich "dude" and risks losing appendages if he gets caught...NO, not THAT appendage!

Crap, the pop up is back.

Brave New World by Huxley for my AP kiddos.
    Macbeth for my College Prep seniors.
    The Shallows by Nicholas Carr to decide if I want to use it for my AP kiddos.

Just for me:
    A Lucky Child-forget the author but it's a Holocaust book.
    Also rereading a book that escapes me right now. It's historical fiction about espionage during the Napoleonic wars...
    No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle. ~Winston Churchill
    For Hope, For Strength, For Life-Delta Gamma
    www.etsy.com/shop/joiedevivrecrafts Custom Wreaths and Other Decorations

I'm still in the middle of a Dance with Dragons after waiting some time to find the english edition. Even though English isn't my original language I like to read in english, because i feel a lot is lost in the translation.
    Yes, I smell like a horse. No, I don't consider that to be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by DottieHQ View Post
    You're just jealous because you lack my extensive koalafications.

Loving the Leann Sweeney books-murder, mystery, and cats. What could be better?
    Life is great when you can hug a horse.

Re reading (or listening to ) Personal Injuries by Scott Turow-just magic. In his hands, the charactors are so alive, so vibrant, and they carry the plot along, just terrific, nothing better than really, really good writing!

I can recommend The Night Circus. I read it recently and was really charmed.
    http://www.amazon.com/The-Night-Circ...e+night+circus
    The imagery is very vivid and imaginative. A friend who also read it said she went to sleep "dreaming in black and white" which makes perfect sense if you've read the book.
    Join a new horse sim where you can train, show and breed dressage horses, jumpers and eventers! Fun and free with mature players.
    Join Horse Eden Eventing Today !

The Atlas of Love by Laurie Frankel (I think?): Not hating it but not loving it. It is about three women in grad school who move into a big house to help one of the women raise her son. Story is told by the most oddball of the three. It is really hard these days for fiction to grab me.

I just read Where We Belong by Emily Giffen and HATED it. I usually really enjoy her as an author but she just nose-dived with that one! Weak plot, no real drama, her writing of a teenage character really disappointed me.

Also tried to get into Let's Pretend This Never Happened by Jenny Lawson, a memoir but it was just so over the top I couldn't enjoy it. Really turned off by the tone.

I joined a book club and we are reading The Social Animal by David Brooks, can't wait! I am mostly reading health/cooking books these days. I just finished Bringing up Bebe by Pamela Druckerman and LOVED it--and I don't even have kids (or expect them any time soon!)

I just finished "Good Grief" by Lolly Winston. I had picked it up at a yard sale and had no idea what it would be like. It was great! It is about a young widow and her grieving process-- sounds like a bummer but it was actually quite funny at times and poignant. I'd definitely recommend it.

I also recently read "The Litigators" by John Grisham. It was ok, not his best but fairly entertaining. Also just read Emily Giffins "Heart of the Matter", again ok but not my favorite of hers. Another recent read was "The Friday Night Knitting Club" which was pretty good.

Bumping for more books! Over Thanksgiving I read Armageddon in Retrospect by Kurt Vonnegut. First time I've read anything of his. The book was a posthumous collection of short stories with a theme of WWII from a soldier's perspective. The first was a commencement speech he gave which I found enjoyable in an insightful way.
    Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

Just finished Every Day by David Levithan. It was awesome! It had been sooo long since I read some GOOD fiction that kept my interest! I read while I was waiting in line at the polls...

Oh, I'm glad this is back up cuz I just started a lu-lu for discussion: When she Woke by Hillary Jordon. Get this, it takes place in a futuristic society which has been taken over by the extreme Christians. The main character has aborted a fetus she and the local well respected married minister produced and since she won't reveal the father (in more ways than one) or the Dr. who did the abortion, she has been found guilty of second degree murder. This society infects felons with skin coloring depending on the degree of severity of crime. She has been made blood red....

YIKES!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by andy825 View Post
    I can recommend The Night Circus. I read it recently and was really charmed.
    http://www.amazon.com/The-Night-Circ...e+night+circus
    The imagery is very vivid and imaginative. A friend who also read it said she went to sleep "dreaming in black and white" which makes perfect sense if you've read the book.
    I opened this thread hoping to see if anyone else was reading this! I picked it up at Target because it looked different and said it was a #1 bestseller (not many other good looking options in their book section)....
    I am only about 80 pages into it, but I'm not loving it so far. Hoping things start to come together and get more interesting soon.

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

I'm finally getting around to a book both my cousin & a COTHer recommended I read before going to Africa. Its called When a Crocodile Meets the Sun by Peter Goodwin and so far I'm loving it! And its making me want to go back to Africa soooo badly!
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

I just finished the Mortal Instruments series (or, what part of it is finished), and the prequel the Infernal Devices. I'm not a huge fan of the fantasy genre, but I really like this series. They're making a movie out of it, apparently, but I think they're going to change it too much for it to be any good.

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

If this thread and a recipes thread were left up and running after OT Day (or OT two weeks?!) closed, I would be so happy! I have had so many awesome book recs from this thread. Probably the best was "Shadow Divers" - I read it, then both my mom and my Dad did, we all loved it, and they have now passed it onto friends.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

1 members found this post helpful.

I just read Juliet Naked by Nick Hornsby, and I LOVED it! It is really funny, and a sort of snarky look at people who spend too much time online!
    Then I read Heaven is for real. Nuff said.
    Another killer of threads

Im reading: Chaos.

I finished Sharon Kay Penman's Welsh trilogy (Here be Dragons etc) and loved every second of it.

After that I read The 100 year old man who climbed out of the window... by a Swedish author whose name escapes me right now. Fun, light read.

I just finished Divergent (similar to the Hunger games, in a way) and am reading the sequel, Invergent. Fun reads.

Was recommended The Alexandria Quartet and will be reading that next, after I zoom through the latest Largo Winch
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

Re-reading "Atlas Shrugged" and amazed at how up-to-date some of the scenarios are, even to the terms now in use.

Also, "P. J. O'Roark on The Wealth Of Nations". Why read all 900+ pages of the original when O'Roark condenses it down to 150, and keeps you in stitches at the same time?
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

Game Change
    "Business!” cried the Ghost, wringing its hands again. “Mankind was my business. The common welfare was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business.”