The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Default The (new) What Are You Reading Thread

Thought I'd start a current "What are you reading" thread before the old one gets bumped up. Hope that's OK!

Just finished Eggers "You Shall Know Our Velocity", which was pretty good.
    Also finished "Dewey's Nine Lives". I don't really like the writing style of the author but most of the stories were good. Was really touched by the stories about Spooky and Marshmallow (err....Mawshmawow?).

Just started Cat's Eye (Margaret Atwood). I'm really starting to like her as an author, this is the 4th Atwood book I'll have read.
    Am also reading a "Best Science Fiction" collection, those are always good.

(Speaking of Science Fiction- RIP Ray Bradbury. You lovely, extraordinary, wonderful human being)

And I am dying to read the new SK Dark Tower book...
    The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done".

At home on Kindle, George RR Martin's A Dance with Dragons. At work, Sue Grafton's U is for Undertow.
    Delicious strawberry flavored death!

Look Homeward, Angel - Thomas Wolfe
    “We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.”
    Kurt Vonnegut, Mother Night

Just starting Swamplandia! by Karen Russell.

Also on my Kindle to read from the library (best thing ever, except when all your holds are ready at the same time!): Major Pettigrew's Last Stand, The Flight of Gemma Hardy, and Chelsea Chelsea Bang Bang. Have The Darlings also to read.

Just finished State of Wonder (gorgeous read, although the plot was... weird after further consideration) and Between You And Me (utterly ridiculous).

Speaking of...working my way through the Dark Tower series right now, my, hmm, second time through them all and maybe my third or fourth through the first four books. All so I can neatly fit book 4.5 in there ;-). DH d/l'ed it on his Kindle, which my Android phone is linked to, so I'll be off in just another 200 pages or so ;-).

After a lot of his new stuff, I found it hard to get started again. Odd. But it's pretty danged different than Duma Key or The Dome.
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

Loved State of Wonder. Reading the Man Who Lived in an Egg Cup - light read. Looking forward to Girl Gone.

Just read The Age of Miracles, a first novel by Karen Thompson Walker. Very good! The earth is ... ending? The rotation has slowed so the days are 30, 40 hours long. Told by point of view of a 12-year old girl. Very well written and a good story!

Also working on the Maisie Dobbs detective series by British author Jacqueline Winspear. Maisie is a "Psychologist and Investigator" in London after being a nurse in World War I. I love these books! It's a time period that most Americans know nothing about. Lots of good atmosphere and good plots.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Reading 2 on my kindle at the moment - 1st is Days of Honey by Anna Ciazadlo which I am enjoying & highly reccommend (but not if you are on a diet, lol - I had to put it down leading up to my cousins wedding as I was losing weight to look good in my bridesmaids dress!). It is about her living in Iraq and cooking/learning about the cuisine and culture as a way of getting through the war.

I'm also reading Reluctant Pilgrim by Enuma Okoro, who was recently at our church for a month. Its about her journey as a Christian and struggle with religion and the church as an institution. It is really interesting & you could definitely read it as a non Christian/non believer and still enjoy it. It's very readable and I love how honest she is throughout about her own struggles with religion/faith.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

The Sound of a Wild Snail Eating

[QUOTE=Natalie A;6407636]Just starting Swamplandia! by Karen Russell.

Also on my Kindle to read from the library (best thing ever, except when all your holds are ready at the same time!)

--I have this same problem and someone told me to only load books via the USB input from my computer. Never turn the wi-fi on and the books will never be 'due' at the library. I only do this when I have something from the library that I can't finish in time or when I have several holds ready at the same time.

Just read 'Major Pettigrew,' currently reading 'State of Wonder,' Pym, 'Are You My Mother' and John Irving's 'In One Person.'

Perfect timing for this thread!

I JUST finished the Fifty Shades trilogy last night and I loved it! I'm having major book withdrawal now because I have NO CLUE what to read next and I've been so immersed in reading those three books for the past couple of weeks. It's going to be hard to find another book to read next that doesn't seem slow and boring in comparison. So I'll follow this thread with much interest.
    "Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field." --Dwight D Eisenhower

Boston Terrier Rescue of NC - www.btrnc.org - Adopt for Life!

Just finished Barbara Kingsolver's "The Lacuna" which I liked very much, though definitely not a quick read! Will look for "State of Wonder".
    Proud supporter of SprotHorseRiders.com

Reading the second installment of the Parasol Protectorate - "Changeless," by Gail Carriger. Victorian Vampire Steampunk mystery - very good!

I'm 76% into Devil's Brood by Sharon Kay Penman (yay for Kindle! I really didn't want to carry a 700+ pages book with me on the plane), the 3rd volume in the trilogy, after borrowing the 2nd one from the library. I love these books about Henry Plantagenêt and Eleanor of Aquitaine. Very well researched historical novels. I might even borrow the 1st one from the library when I get back.
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

working my way through Jim Butcher's Dresden Files and loving them! Just finished "Changes" and starting "Ghost Story"

Also getting ready to read the new bio on Lynon Johnson

1 members found this post helpful.

I'm re-reading the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon. I love them more and more everytime I read them!
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

2 members found this post helpful.

Hilary Mantel's Bring up the Bodies, the sequel to her Wolf Hall. All about the players at the court of Henry VIII.
    Jonah 4:4: And the Lord said, "Do you do well to be angry?"

With every day that passes, college football season gets that much closer!

Older book, Wallace Stegner's Angle of Repose. It's fantastic.

I read the Eighty-Dollar Champion on vacation and really enjoyed it.

I have read quite a bit since I last posted on the What are You Reading thread.

Nicole Mones: A Cup of Light, The Last Chinese Chef, and Lost in Translation. I loved the first two books listed, not so much the last.

Luanne Rice: Secrets of Paris

I am working though a cookbook: Simply Ming One-Pot Meals.

And two on my bed table to be read: The Short Stories of Saki (H.H. Munro), and Autumn, by A.G. Mojtabai
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...2011%20Photos/

I forgot one -- I'm listening to Bonhoeffer on audiobook, and it is very good. About a Protestant theologian who was part of the plot to assassinate Hitler. maybe a bit dry, but perfect entertainment for mowing grass, weeding and dragging the ring.