The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What's with all the cheap nylon lead ropes??

Tack stores in my area used to carry cotton lead ropes in a nice variety of colors. Now they're getting harder and harder to find. All people carry nowadays is nylon.

Who uses these?! When I learned to ride I was taught cotton, cotton, COTTON because if a horse pulls a nylon rope through your hands, you're gonna get one nasty rope burn.

Not to mention the nylon ones look great at first but start to look crappy pretty quick.

am I missing something??

They're all I ever see anymore, too. Nylon leads in all kinds of colors and patterns, but it's hard to find a good ol' fashioned white cotton lead rope. The few cotton ones I've seen are dyed, which I don't care for because the dye often bleeds when the rope gets wet.

The only places I see cotton leads anymore are in online tack catalogs. I should probably just order a bunch of them when I find them at a good price since they seem to be an endangered species.
    Please copy and paste this to your signature if you know someone, or have been affected by someone who needs a smack upside the head. Lets raise awareness.

They are all I have found too.

Not only do they hurt when pulled through your hand, but they do not last long at all! I bought a purple one last year for using at shows only and after the first show it was already coming undone...

I have 2 cotton ones, and 2 nylon ones, but of course the cotton ones don't exactly match my horses' halter.

Thats all the feed store here carries..... plain white cotton lead ropes with gold clips.

I like tying with the nylon better... its easier and the color doesnt bleed onto a newly bathed horse when you decide to drape a purple cotton rope over his neck while dryign off!!!!!!!!

Its also easier to tell whose is whose. Mine always seem to hold up for a long time and stay reletively clean... cotton leads just get everything tangled up in it!
    Clancy 17hh chestnut Dutch WB, '99. Owned and loved since '04 and still goin'!

If you have a Tractor Supply close, they have the 10 ft cotton leads on sale right now for $6.99... usually $8.99. http://www.tractorsupply.com/cotton-...-l-red-2501890 The ones at my store had a brass snap not the bull snap (I'm not a bull snap fan). I don't remember if the sale was through the end of June or into July.
    http://www.leakycreek.com/
    http://leakycreek.wordpress.com/ Rainbows & Mourning Doves Blog
    John P. Smith II 1973-2009 Love Always
    Father, Husband, Friend, Firefighter- Cancer Sucks- Cure Melanoma

Last time I needed to buy a lead with a chain I was shocked that all my feed store had was those flat nylon leads. They look like a heavy duty dog leash and they hurt if the horse bolts/pulls.

I can't stand the nylon ropes either.

Tractor supply carries the nice cotton leads in a variety of colors.

It's probably less expensive to use nylon versus natural fibers. Thanks for posting, guess I will hold on to my cotton lead ropes!

I much prefer cotton to nylon like most everyone else. Thanks for the tip about tractor supply, i may have to step in there soon!
    (A decidedly unhorsey) MrB knocks over a feed bucket at the tack shop and mutters, "Oh crap. I failed the stadium jumping phase."
    (he does listen!)

I like heavy cotton best, followed by heavy nylon. And must have a trigger snap! Anymore, it's hard to find either cotton or nylon that have sufficient diameter and heft for my liking. My favorite lead is one that DH made. We had a stud chain from a broken leather lead, and a good nylon rope lead with a broken snap. DH pried open the clamp thingie, replaced the broken snap with the chain, and re-clamped. I'd love to do the same to one of my few remaining big fat rope leads, but I have no clue how to back braid the rope.

Schnieders and Bid D both have cotton leads.

Quote Originally Posted by shakeytails View Post
    I have no clue how to back braid the rope.
    Linky

Not sure if that will help or not but worth a try.

You can buy the clamp that you describe your hubby reclamping at various places, like tractor supply.

I don't really mind the nylon ropes. :/ One of mine has lasted for about 6 years now. And the other is on its 3rd year, so I haven't had a problem with them falling apart or anything.

One reason I like the nylon ones is because my horse likes to chew on his lead rope. It's like a pacifier to him. I used to have a cotton one for him and it totally unraveled and looked gross after being chewed on. His nylon one is still going strong and you can't even tell he chews it.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/NBChoice http://nbchoice.blogspot.com/
    The New Banner's Choice- 1994 ASB Mare
    Dennis The Menace Too- 1999 ASB Gelding
    Dreamacres Sublime- 2008 ASB Gelding

Apparently I'm the odd one out because I prefer the nylon ropes t the cotton ones.

ETA: I mean the round/ silky nylon ones, not the nylon ones that are like dog leashes. Just for clarification.
    Last edited by tabula rashah; Jun. 29, 2012 at 04:06 PM.
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain

no, I suspect most people prefer the nylon or it wouldn't be the predominant type sold? I don't like the flat leads, I like the fat round nylon ones, which are easy to find.
    cotton rots and breaks and bleeds colors/fades, and comes unraveled. Nylon never does. The hardware will give out on the nylon before the nylon does.

I hate the nylon. I had a couple and I ended up cutting them into shorter lengths for the dogs to play with. I really like the 4' cotton leads. Used to be a feed store in Georgetown that had them...but the store closed.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by wendy View Post
    no, I suspect most people prefer the nylon or it wouldn't be the predominant type sold?
    In the case of my feed store I would guess it has more to do with the person ordering being clueless.

I hate the nylon ones. I find them stiff and awkward to use, especially for tying. I use cotton or leather (not to tie with).
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

I only use cotton. I have never had the colour ones bleed. I do like the look of the new white ones. but I have some that are over 5 yrs old and they are holding up just fine.

If I come acorss them on sale I always buy one or two more. and put in the tack box for later use.
    My life motto now is "You can't fix stupid!"

Are you going to cowboy up, or lie there and bleed

Quote Originally Posted by trubandloki View Post
    Linky

Not sure if that will help or not but worth a try.

You can buy the clamp that you describe your hubby reclamping at various places, like tractor supply.
    Thanks. Bookmarked in favorites.

but cotton will tear your hands up as well.
    Go PC: wear gloves when leading
    Quote Originally Posted by fargaloo View Post
    Do you not understand how asking "why now?" is EXACTLY part of the reason why assault victims feel silenced?

I think that Nylon lead ropes are dangerous in a number of ways so I always buy and use cotton lead ropes. Most of our local shops don't carry them so I just buy on line when I have to order other things.

Only $8.25 at SmartPak
    http://www.smartpakequine.com/heavy-...ead-2084p.aspx

I like the SmartPak ones because they are 3/4 inch diameter and easier to hold. whereas a lot of others on the market are only 5/8 inch in diameter.