The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default False martingale dilemma

Finally got all the pieces in for my new Comfy fit harness and the false martingale is proving to be quite challenging I cannot figure a way to get it threaded on the overgirth.

The overgirth does not come away from the girth. It slides freely, but the keepers are so low profile that it will not allow the buckles to pass through, so I can't take it off to slide the martingale over.

The false martingale will not allow itself to be unthreaded either (which I found most peculiar ). The top portion that buckles to the breast collar D is padded and far too large to pass through the smaller buckle on the bottom. Even when I try to fold the padding to force it through, the top buckle is too large to pass through the bottom one.

I'm getting the feeling I'm supposed to just pass the bottom loop of the false martingale clear over the girth and just girth it up. Thats the only way I see it working, but doesn't seem too Comfy to me
    Worry is the biggest enemy of the present. It steals your joy and keeps you very busy doing absolutely nothing at all... it’s like using your imagination to create things you don’t want.

I take the false martingale off and do not use it.

Mine goes over the whole girth like on an English saddle.
    Richard Holyoak
    Diamond H Carriages
    http://www.diamondhcarriages.com

gothedistance is offline AERC Decade Team - 2000-2010 Premium Member

**I'm getting the feeling I'm supposed to just pass the bottom loop of the false martingale clear over the girth and just girth it up. Thats the only way I see it working, but doesn't seem too Comfy to me**

Yup. That's how it is designed to work. Slipped over the whole girth. Ancient technology which is a real pain and rather time-consuming. However, it is necessary to prevent the collar from being lifted/pushed up by the actions of the vehicle when putting forward pressure on the harness (ie. braking)

Another alternative is this - (an endurance trick for fast attach/detach): buy (or make) a biothane loop (just a tad wider than your girth) that has a D-ring on one end. Slip it over your girth with the D-ring facing front. On your false martingale's girth loop attach a quick-snap.

Now when you harness you merely have to snap the end of the martingale onto the D- ring loop around the girth. Easy, fast, and immediately accessable for attach/detach. And a heck of a lot more "comfy" for your animal without all that stuff piled up under his brisket.

You can also have a simple D-ring sewn onto the middle of the girth, but that would necessitate taking the driving girth apart first. Not easy or cheap, but the end result would look both clean and efficient.

Ah, thank you!! You guys are the best!
    Worry is the biggest enemy of the present. It steals your joy and keeps you very busy doing absolutely nothing at all... it’s like using your imagination to create things you don’t want.