The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Muzzles...

I am wondering if there is a muzzle that can be used while a horse (or in this case a pony and a donkey) can wear while they have their bridle on.

We have progressed in our training to ground driving outside the pasture, around the yard, out in our back field etc. The problem I am having is some of the grass esp. on the road out to the field is very tall and my equines are very short and are spending quite a lot of time stuffing there faces. The pony can even do it at a trot.

I try to hustle them past the tallest spots but as I am ground driving this can be exhausting and really difficult to manage pony or donkey/ lines/ watching where I am going...

I've thought about trying a flash noseband, but I don't know if that would be enough... Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions ????

On the upside they think its great to get harnessed up and go *work* as its basically a trip to the buffet!

We muzzled one horse because she got angry and bit at her partner. I made the muzzle because I couldn't find anything to purchase.

It worked, was pretty invisible, and she could create no damage to her partner while working.

Not sure if you are crafty to make your own, or want to look around and see what you can find. Ours threaded onto the noseband, just covered the whole area, but loose enough to not pinch or interfere with the bit. Being black it was pretty invisible until we did standing presentation. Even then, sometimes Judge didn't notice on our dark horse!

It was very helpful, did not get in the way of using the bit or drinking water at Vet check. Useful piece of equipment if you think you need one. Ponies in grass? Sounds both useful and needed!

Default re: muzzles

I bought a grazing muzzle from horse.com. I just let it out long enough to hang below his snaffle bit, it doesn't look great but it works fine. There was a driving pair from England that competed with a muzzle on one horse who would bite his partner. I found the muzzle they used on a site and it looked better than the black basket muzzle I use but was also a lot more expensive.

I just found this http://www.chicksaddlery.com/page/CDS/PROD/1025/GG8528

also someone on another BB suggested buying a fishing net (I am picturing more of a butterfly net) removing the net from the wire and handle and threading a shoelace through were the wire was...

Just for
    Ponies has a mesh muzzle for around $13

Get whatever you think will work with your bit and bridle. The Chicks one looks usable, just very visible. However you are needing it in a home setting, so visiblilty is not a factor. To me, having muzzle not be obvious because we showed in it, was important. Different reasons to muzzle the animal.

Fishing netting, with different sized holes, 1" to 2" would probably work well. Could be threaded onto the noseband and around the bit to free the reins up. Same kind of mesh that the landing fish nets use.

http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/landing-boat-nets/

I don't think a butterfly net would work, not very sturdy mesh in most cases.

A few years ago I got a piece of fairly decently sturdy fishnet (about 15 x 15 inch) at the Dollar Store
    It was in the decoration area and had seashells on it

I wanted it to try to make more fly protection - havent got it worked out yet

Amazing what you can get cheap when you broaden your outlook on where to find it

I've just crafted a muzzle out of a plastic mesh apple/onion bag. Its definitely not very classy but it should work. I will take a pic when I try it out tomorrow...

Ok, here is my attempt at a muzzle. It worked but he tore a hole in it while I was tacking up- so it is not a long term solution http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-...90674096_n.jpg
    I spoke to my sister last night- she owns a equine sewing and blanket repair business- she is going to see if she can whip up something a bit more presentable

Have her put holes in the sides, so you can put the reins thru the hole to the bit. Your model doesn't do that, so if you pull hard, rein and bit don't allow any freedom for bending outward. Mouth is closed by the muzzle, so he might get a harder pull than he deserves. That Chicks model had bit holes for shanks, or reins thru the holes if using a ring snaffle.

You want him comfortable wearing it, no muzzle interference with bit and rein signals or he will be confused.

Quote Originally Posted by goodhors View Post
    Have her put holes in the sides, so you can put the reins thru the hole to the bit. Your model doesn't do that, so if you pull hard, rein and bit don't allow any freedom for bending outward. Mouth is closed by the muzzle, so he might get a harder pull than he deserves. That Chicks model had bit holes for shanks, or reins thru the holes if using a ring snaffle.

You want him comfortable wearing it, no muzzle interference with bit and rein signals or he will be confused.
    Thank you, I sent her the link to the Chick's muzzle and will insist the one she makes doesn't interfere with the bit.