The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Bumping along life\'s highway, oops, detour, welcome to Yuma, AZ.

Well it seems having just read Heidi's "family" thread and Louise mentioning the missing BB'ers, I will now share what I have been going through. Haven't known how to break it.

I really haven't been posting much since November. DeeDee(Dublin) picked up on it around Christmas. I was diagnosed with stomach cancer the first of November. I had surgery the latter of November. It turned out to NOT be a surgical situation. I have been going to the Mayo clinic in Scottsdale once a month for chemo therapy. Going Feb 11 for the third go round. Chemo has NOT been awful, few side effects, did lose the hair last week though.

So much for the bad news. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] Here is the good news. I really feel very good. I get winded, but I am in no pain and not on any pain medication. I am working about 3 days a week as I feel like it. But the best part is I AM STILL RIDING. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

My horse is the most wonderful guy. After standing around for weeks at a time, and I yank him out, tack him up and away we go. Of course both of us can't trot more than two 20 meter circles in a row without getting winded, so it works out great. The best part is when I am up on Bud, I am not sick. It is the best therapy of all.

I am on oxygen when I do anything that is exerting (so far housework is not on my list). [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] So I made them give me the really small portable tanks and rigged a backpack so I could ride with it. We have our priorities after all. After Bud got used to the entire racket from the zipper pulls and the fabric going swish swish, he was fine with it. I am engineering some sort of cantle bag now for my dressage saddle for the canister. I tried it on my western saddle like a bedroll and it worked great. I just can't get that hulky saddle on my 17 hand horse by myself. (see attached pictures from last Sunday)

My husband is a saint. He has been there every minute for me. Even took delivery on my special ordered Trail-et horse trailer in December. We have only used it once, but it is the greatest. I am looking forward to many more trips in it!

So gang that is where I have been. I thank God for every day I have that is pain free and I am up and at'em.

And if I may be just a tad philosophical, I might add; kiddos don't take a day for granted. The prognosis is not real good but I am only 51, and by God I am not done yet. I have many more people to terrorize, don'tcha know. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]

And to LordHelpus(Pam) I would love to hear from you again. I will try to find your email. Small world huh?

Hugs to all of you, Kath
    My email is on my profile if anyone is interested in mailing.

"The older I get, the better I used to be, but who the heck cares!"
    \"The older I get, the better I used to be, but who the heck cares!\"

Bumping along life\'s highway, oops, detour, welcome to Yuma, AZ.

Well it seems having just read Heidi's "family" thread and Louise mentioning the missing BB'ers, I will now share what I have been going through. Haven't known how to break it.

I really haven't been posting much since November. DeeDee(Dublin) picked up on it around Christmas. I was diagnosed with stomach cancer the first of November. I had surgery the latter of November. It turned out to NOT be a surgical situation. I have been going to the Mayo clinic in Scottsdale once a month for chemo therapy. Going Feb 11 for the third go round. Chemo has NOT been awful, few side effects, did lose the hair last week though.

So much for the bad news. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] Here is the good news. I really feel very good. I get winded, but I am in no pain and not on any pain medication. I am working about 3 days a week as I feel like it. But the best part is I AM STILL RIDING. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

My horse is the most wonderful guy. After standing around for weeks at a time, and I yank him out, tack him up and away we go. Of course both of us can't trot more than two 20 meter circles in a row without getting winded, so it works out great. The best part is when I am up on Bud, I am not sick. It is the best therapy of all.

I am on oxygen when I do anything that is exerting (so far housework is not on my list). [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] So I made them give me the really small portable tanks and rigged a backpack so I could ride with it. We have our priorities after all. After Bud got used to the entire racket from the zipper pulls and the fabric going swish swish, he was fine with it. I am engineering some sort of cantle bag now for my dressage saddle for the canister. I tried it on my western saddle like a bedroll and it worked great. I just can't get that hulky saddle on my 17 hand horse by myself. (see attached pictures from last Sunday)

My husband is a saint. He has been there every minute for me. Even took delivery on my special ordered Trail-et horse trailer in December. We have only used it once, but it is the greatest. I am looking forward to many more trips in it!

So gang that is where I have been. I thank God for every day I have that is pain free and I am up and at'em.

And if I may be just a tad philosophical, I might add; kiddos don't take a day for granted. The prognosis is not real good but I am only 51, and by God I am not done yet. I have many more people to terrorize, don'tcha know. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]

And to LordHelpus(Pam) I would love to hear from you again. I will try to find your email. Small world huh?

Hugs to all of you, Kath
    My email is on my profile if anyone is interested in mailing.

"The older I get, the better I used to be, but who the heck cares!"
    \"The older I get, the better I used to be, but who the heck cares!\"

I'm sorry to hear all you have been going through. I hope you continue to do well! Your attitude is amazing, and that is what will help you most through this tough time. That and the horses. They really are amazing. Best wishes to you in your continued therapy. Keep that positive outlook!

\"in the wind, and rain, looking for the sun..................\"

Oh Cactus, I am so very sorry... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] We have those proverbial curbs, jingling and jangling for you. And prayers too!

{{{{{{{{{{GIANT HUG}}}}}}}}}

We're all very glad to see your post. So, don't stop come here when you can. Glad your wonderful horse is there. It truly is amazing how they know and sense whats going on in our lives...

Firstly, I must explain that we were inspired by many 'prior' Kates when we named our daughter - Kate Hepburn, Kate Millett, Kate Morgan (one of my woman's studies profs in university); and I'm going to add you to the list. Kate is a damned fine name for a damned fine strong woman. I hope my daughter lives up to her namesake(s).

I am thankful (!!!) that you are now okay. And now that I know what kept you away, I'm feeling rather verklempt.

One of my best friends suffered through breast cancer a couple of years ago -- and within months of radiation therapy the girl was back on her horse jumping a modified GP course. We horsewomen are made of different stuff, eh?

Kudos to you darling Cactuskate (and to PamM) for grasping the joy that you know -- and thoroughly revelling in it. You serve as an inspiration to us all.

BTW, I love Bud. He's a chestnut - my favourite kinda horse! BTW, I read in his eyes a desire to take a road trip to visit his half sister Heidi in Canada... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

[This message was edited by Heidi on Feb. 06, 2002 at 12:00 AM.]

[This message was edited by Heidi on Feb. 06, 2002 at 12:00 AM.]

WA. The Evergreen State Where The Horses Are Forever Green

I will jangle and Pray for you this evening.
    Dublin was worried about you and mentioned it to me this morning.
    Please keep in touch.

Hugs from a fellow Northwesterner [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

"Have You Hugged Your Trainer Today?"

Oh CactusKate.... You're doing so wonderfully, it seems! God be with you and yours and continue to give you strength and love. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Your on-line friends and family are here for you, too, don't forget that.
    "I don't want to sound like a broken record here, but why is it that a woman will forgive homicidal behavior in a horse, yet be highly critical of a man for leaving the toilet seat up?" Dave Barry

Cactus, I am so sorry for what you have been going through but am inspired by your strength (also Pam's). Isn't wonderful that our horses know when we really need them and they come through. My thoughts will be with you in the coming days.
    \"just remember this my girl, when you look up in the sky, you can see the stars but still not see the light.\" -The Eagles (song by J. Tempchin/R. Stradlund)

Oh Kate - I'm so sorry to hear about what you have been going through. I can only echo what the others have said - you are a strong woman, and it sounds like you are getting through this just with all the courage and flair that we have seen you display on this BB.

You and Bud just keep right on going! Thank goodness for you wonderful husband and the support he is giving you.

Curb chains rattling and heartfelt prayers going up.

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

---------------------------
    "We ride and never worry about the fall.
    I guess that's just the cowboy in us all."
    Tim McGraw
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

My best wishes to you. Keep riding - it's amazing what strength doing something you love, can give you. Do not give up! There are some interesting new cancer drugs coming down the pike.

You are so lucky to have your horse and a great husband during these trying times. You have all of us, too!

{{{{{{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

Between ReginaPony, LordHelpus and you, we have been quite concerned! Perhaps it was the huge sound of curb chains jangling (Spunky and I even found a double bridle with a chain lip strap last Saturday to jangle!)
    "If you would have only one day to live, you should spend at least half of it in the saddle."

Oh my goodness! I did notice you weren't here, but I figured you were zipping around here and yonder with your new Trail-et! Wow, you are an awesomely strong person to be dealing with things the way you are. {{{{big hugs}}} to you, and God speed on your recovery!

thrilled to hear you are coping well. Love your O2 tank backpack idea. Keep up the good spirits and may you have a complete and uneventful recovery.

As for loosing your hair with the chemo, just remember:

God only made a few perfect heads. The rest he put hair on.

{{{{{{{{{{HUGS, HUGS, HUGS}}}}}}}}}}}}

Curb chains jangling very loudly. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

msj
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

Stay strong...we're all pulling for you. Thanks for letting us know [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Always,
    FairWeather
    "Just call me mint jelly cuz i'm on the lamb!--Grandpa
    http://www.fairweather-farm.com

love the rocket pack!

some people dance in the rain, others just get wet. you gotta love a good dance [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

-jacksmom
    * trying hard to be the person that my horses think i am

Cactuskate, I love that picture! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

What an inspiration you are to us all.

You are truly an inspiration and a great teacher on how to live life!!!

May this illness be a minor bump in your road and may you recovery be speedy and as said before uneventful!!

CK you are a trooper and I know you will beat this!!!

Maria
    Maria
    Having Fun in Life is what its all about.

Cactuskate your story brought tears to my eyes. Your bravery and determination to get well and put this behind you is truly inspiring. Who needs hair anyways? You can shower and get to the barn that much faster this way.

Thanks for sharing your photo with us. Bud looks like a great guy. Virtual hug to you my girl. Stay strong. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Cactuskate,

That was a beautiful letter from an obviously strong, beautiful person. I have to say that you really touched me and almost as importantly, you gave me a strong kick in the pants to tell me NOT to take any day for granted. In the big scheme of things, I shouldn't have needed it, but I did. Many thanks, and may I have your courage and wit (I already have a Trail-et [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] ).

Not only will I jingle a curb chain, but I will also wave around my authentic voodoo good luck charm. And I think canter and msj may be on to something about the hair! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

*** Speak yer mind... But ride a fast horse... ***
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

Cactuskate, I am so so so sorry to hear that. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] Curb chain jingling for you and a cancer-free future.

visit www.victorianfarms.com