The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default What features would you put in your DREAM trailer?

We are considering a new 4-horse Head-to-Head trailer for our Mares & Foals and dressage horses.

Features we like include:
    -7.5' height to accommodate the tall horses
    -Head-to-Head stalls convert to box stalls for mares & babies
    -Back ramp + Side Ramps
    -Ramp to tack room
    -Pour-in floor
    -Hard surface floor in tack room
    -Power Jack
    -Loading lights
    -Extra padding on sides of stalls
    -Hay compartment for transport
    -Hay rack on roof
    -Plenty of drop down windows
    -Fans in horse area and tack room
    -Internal Video Cameras
    -External Backup Video cam

What other features should be included in a DREAM trailer for mares & foals and dressage horses?

My dream trailer would have dividers that could adjust, width-wise. Slots on hinge and latching ends, so you could make your slant spots narrower or wider.

I don't think that's currently a feature that can be gotten on any trailer, but you did say "dream trailer"!
    Family Partners Welsh Ponies - Home of Section B Welsh stallion *Wedderlie Mardi Gras LOM/AOE http://www.welshponies.com
    Click here to buy: A Guide To In Hand Showing of Your Welsh Pony

I can't imagine hoisting hay on top of a trailer. I know it is done, but oye!

I want windows that drop where you can keep the bar AND the screen up, but drop the glass. I want the screen to stop bugs, debris, etc. and I want the bars, obviously.

I would want stalls that are strong, but easily convert--so ease of conversion.

Ramps that aren't super steep and aren't slippery.

Honestly, I think you have a pretty good list going. Maybe a good warranty!!
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

8' x 8' and double ceiling vents
    www.immunallusa.com
    www.rainbowequus.com Home of stallions that actually produced champion hunter, jumper and dressage offspring and now also champion eventers

Fully insluated walls and ceiling
    One piece aluminum roof
    Ramp over full doors in rear

Fully removeable dividers and extra tie rings

In these trailers with "conversion stalls" for mares & foals, do the dividers come down to the floor & mount fairly tight to the wall or is there a gap that a foal could put a foot through. I've only seen one & it had gaps large enough to worry me. I'm very interested in other peoples views & experiences with this.

If you are designing a trailer as nice as this sounds...I'd go 8' tall!! It really does make a difference for air circulation in hot weather...and no horse has ever hit his head in our trailer. We have big/tall horses and love the open feeling of the extra height! Also - make sure you have at least 24 feet INSIDE of the horse compartment. One Turnbow that we ordered was 22' and boy did the two feet shorter make it hard to load/turn/back the last horses.
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

I agree with Edgar - extra roof vents!

I have two different ways to make box stalls - both are completely removable. When I had a four horse head to head - we could make three box stalls

Door with a see through window from tackroom into horse compartment - this is super nice when weather is bad - or you have to stop on the side of the highway to go check on the horses.

I have a side ramp on each side and it makes loading very easy.

I have a large kick pad inside the back wall - was a super nice feature when i got rear ended....

I just got some bars made up for travelling with the top door open above the side ramp. Less worry when shipping mare and foals loose in the box.
    www.clearbluefarm.com - a work in progress

Clear Blue, can you post a picture of the bars you had made up? I'm getting ready to order a 2 + 1 that will make into two box stalls and will need something over the ramp if I leave that door open when there is a horse in that section.