The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default What features would you put in your DREAM trailer?

We are considering a new 4-horse Head-to-Head trailer for our dressage horses.

Features we like include:
    -7.5' height to accommodate the tall horses
    -Head-to-Head stalls convert to box stalls for mares & babies
    -Back ramp + Side Ramps
    -Ramp to tack room
    -Pour-in floor
    -Hard surface floor in tack room
    -Power Jack
    -Loading lights
    -Extra padding on sides of stalls
    -Hay compartment for transport
    -Hay rack on roof
    -Plenty of drop down windows
    -Fans in horse area and tack room
    -Internal Video Cameras
    -External Backup Video cam

What other features should be included in a DREAM trailer for dressage horses?

I have an awesome idea for an addition to a trailer, but if I say it here I run the chance of someone stealing my idea.....

Totilas ?

Water storage.
    Fly screens.
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

Quote Originally Posted by Equibrit View Post
    Totilas ?

Roof insulation -- roof vents.

Insulated tack area also. and can't have 'too much' storage - ever.

Drool - sounds lovely!

Water storage (I carry 80 gallons); cowboy shower in the horse compartment; external hose bib. Truck needs to be connected to a separate battery in the trailer so that it charges while you drive. Battery for electric lights when truck is not attached to trailer comes from this trailer battery. Definitely two roof vents. Some extra metal loops up near the ceiling of the horse compartment, both sides, for hanging things like a clothes line when you are at a show. A light in the tack compartment.

8' wide and I would go with 8' tall.

Proud owner of one Lunar acre! (Campanus Crater, The Moon)

Living quarters with a slide. AC for me and the horses. A full kitchen and bath (no wimpy shower), a flat screen and a bunch of friends to share it with.
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

Generator.
    “Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.”
    ― Albert Einstein

2 things:

-door between horse area & dressing/tackroom (this is especially useful when you need to unload things from the dressing room to the side of the trailer with no dressing room door- you can go through the horse area & out escape door instead of around the whole truck/trailer)

-screen door on dressing room door- these are more complicated to put in after market than I would have thought

Quote Originally Posted by vagabondrider View Post

-screen door on dressing room door- these are more complicated to put in after market than I would have thought
    what about something like the Magic Mesh you see on TV?
    https://www.magicmeshscreens.com/?ta...a_bid=3f4b15e5

Default Have the roof insulated

Makes a big difference.

I have a 4 Star, 3+1, with everything you described. The drop down windows are huge, and it's nearly 8' tall in the center.

I love it, and it's wonderful to work out of (foxhunts)

Though I live near Lexington KY, I bought mine from LA Trailer Sales in NC. The price was better, they keep those kind in stock and not only did they deliver it, they gave me a fair price for my trade in AFTER we made a deal on the new trailer. Husband and Wife team, great customer service.

I'd go 8' tall.
    If going 8' wide I'd have the inside fender wells built up chest high & used for outside storage. This keeps the horses from scrambling over them. (Think inside of Pegasus Vans/trailers).
    Also I have the 2 barn/full doors on back of trailer. This keeps mares & foals from running over you when you put the ramp down.
    Full ceiling & wall insulation is a must down here where we live.
    Oh & dream trailer would have air-ride axels for sure!
    Send us pics when you get it!
    Producing horses with gentle minds & brilliant movement!
    www.whitfieldfarm.shutterfly.com

We too have a 4-Star that is darned near our dream trailer. Bought it used. 5 horse head to head with mid tack and living quarters.
    Has most of above.

What I wish it had:
    Latch on inside of escape door in horse compartment so you could open/close it from inside. It only has an outside latch :-(
    Swithc for lilghts in the horse compartment in the mid tack so you could turn the lights on from there.
    Full length dividers in the horse compartment in the empty space between the front and back horses so to keep things you put there (like hay, etc) from sliding toward the horses. Some newer trailers have this option now.
    Grates/screens over the side top opening over the side ramp so when the top side door is open we don't have the worry of a horse even remotely thinking of trying to crawl out. I have seen some new trailers that do have this. We configured stall guards for this pupose for when we have horses in the backwards facing stalls, esp on that side.
    REALLY bright lights in all the compartments!! Featherlight has some really cool bright LED rope lights.
    WERM flooring.

What I have learned owning lots of trailers:
    BIG windows so when they drop down, or open, you have lots of air movement.
    Roof vents over head and butt.
    Lights over head end of each horse.
    Tie loops at chest level, no just up high. So you can tie them lower so they can their heads down and so us short people can reach them.
    If a slant load, at least one stud divider so you can use one stall as a hay, etc stall without stuff shifting into the adjacent horse's stall.
    Grates on stall dividers that are full height that go at least 1/2 way back the length or the whole way back so horses with long necks can't get their heads around the supposed head dividers and bother the horse next to them.
    Some way to hang a bucket!! Buckets are flat sided on one side. Surely someone can figure out a way to configure something to allow a bucket to hang in either a slant (with or without a manger) or even a straightload.
    If you don't/can't get an insulated roof, get a fiberglass one. If you can't do that, get a light colored one!!
    If you have big/tall horses and a slant load and you are custom ordering your trailer they can change the angle of the stalls and change the width to make them more suitable for bigger horses. Also put the butt windows HIGHER so the bigger/taller horses don't wind up sitting on the windows (and breaking them) (Our horses are 17+ hands.)
    2 levels of tie rings on the side of the trailer so you can buckets, etc as well as horses. And put tie rings close together so hay bags can be close to horse(s).
    Collapsable tack in the back if a slant, and no center post when it is collapsed. Ie be able to have the entire back of trailer open if needed. You never know when you need that.
    ELECTRIC OVER HYDROLIC BRAKES!!!!!!!!!! They are the world's best brakes!!
    A built in water tank under the nose of the gooseneck if you don't have living quarters, or if you have living quarters but have to have to have power to run a pump and don't have a power source on the road. Gravity works just fine :-)
    A 5th wheel coupler. You don't have to worry about somebody stealing it :-)
    More saddle racks, fewer bridle racks. Most trailer makers give you tons of bridle racks and only 1 saddle rack per horse. I am an eventer. I need more than one saddle per horse ;-)

What do I love about my LQ?
    No slide out--it adds weight, it has to be pretty level to get it out, it takes up extra room, and you need power (as a rule) to get it slid out.
    The refrigerator though I wish it ran on propane too. Note to self, and others.
    The shower. Not a cowboy one, but a "real" but not fancy, one.
    The AC!!
    Don't waste your $ on the big screen TV unless you are going to spend the $$$ on a high end satelite system to get TV signals. Or unless you own a lot of DVD's and like to watch them. The standard TV reception atenna/whatever that comes with LQ's isn't worth it; won't hardly get local stations in town, much less out at horse shows.

'Bout all I can think of right now.

We have just ordered our dream trailer!!
    2 horse slant load bumper pull with living area
    We are an eventing/dressage family, and staying overnight at remote freezing grounds for ODEs is NOT! So parents want to try and make it as bareable for them as possible :P
    Full length divider from horse/people section
    2 Bunks in the "people" area
    2 fold down bunks in the horse area
    Reverse Cycle air conditioning
    Kitchenette with fridge, microwave, sink etc
    Flat screen TV
    Annnd Tack box!
    I am very excited to get it
    My dad is already talking about upgrading to a gooseneck and we haven't even gotten this float XD

I'm in FL so fans/air conditioning. I hate it when you pull up somewhere and unload a sweaty, sweaty horse. I feel so bad for them sweltering.

How about those with side tack configuration? They seem rather convenient. I mean, you don't have to crawl through the narrow tack room door and trip over the assorted buckets on the floor to haul out your heavy saddles, which is a big plus for me. Though I only saw the demo and don't know anyone who has one, and there might be some gross negatives I've never thought of.

Quote Originally Posted by fjording View Post
    We have just ordered our dream trailer!!
    2 horse slant load bumper pull with living area
    We are an eventing/dressage family, and staying overnight at remote freezing grounds for ODEs is NOT! So parents want to try and make it as bareable for them as possible :P
    Full length divider from horse/people section
    2 Bunks in the "people" area
    2 fold down bunks in the horse area
    Reverse Cycle air conditioning
    Kitchenette with fridge, microwave, sink etc
    Flat screen TV
    Annnd Tack box!
    I am very excited to get it
    My dad is already talking about upgrading to a gooseneck and we haven't even gotten this float XD
    You will want a gooseneck after hauling this a few times. This is a lot of trailer to be pulling as a bumper pull. And as a gooseneck you will have more living space since you will have the gooseneck to have the bed on.

Don't forget to add the tow vehicle to your dream package. I have pulled with everything from 1/2 tons and up. Since we have the big head-to-head we had to get something bigger than our dually to pull with. Got a used Freightliner FL60 crewcab (not extended 4 door cab). LOVE IT. We pull the 3 horse slant with it most of the time too. It is so much more comfomrtable to drive, has plenty of brake, roomy, has air brakes so if we have to change a tire we have an air hose and air ratchet to change a tire with, etc. Pulled with the dually the other day and thought I was going to die!! The Frieghtliner also turns much much tighter, has a bigger fuel tank (ouch at the pump but few stops). We bought it used for substantially less than a new/gently used dually would have cost us. (And a dually woudn't have been enough for the big trailer anyway) I love my truck!! :-)