The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

OK - finally read ALL of "Hot Blood" and wondered about some things:

What happened to Cellular Farms? Does Lindemann still run it, is it training jumpers, what?

The Silas Jayne mentioned from Illinois -- is he any relation to the highly successful Jayne kids?

I know about Paul Valliere and Barney Ward, but are any of these other horse people who were caught back in action, or has the AHSA/USAE banned them still?

Just wondering what happened to the rest of the cast...

OK - finally read ALL of "Hot Blood" and wondered about some things:

What happened to Cellular Farms? Does Lindemann still run it, is it training jumpers, what?

The Silas Jayne mentioned from Illinois -- is he any relation to the highly successful Jayne kids?

I know about Paul Valliere and Barney Ward, but are any of these other horse people who were caught back in action, or has the AHSA/USAE banned them still?

Just wondering what happened to the rest of the cast...

It also would be interesting to know if there were any new developments in the Brach case..... wasn't it still pretty sketchy in terms of evidence at the end of the book?
    \"It is good to be fine.\"

Lindemann never denied anything to his friends (a girlfriend was a supervisor of mine) and wanted to cop a plea but his lawyers disagreed. Last I heard he was into Dressage but don't know if he can compete anywhere.

Jayne..........grandfather of the current crop I believe.

PV is an active trainer with quite a few clients who think he is wonderful. Not allowed on USEQ grounds yet.

Wards still don't get it with Barney suing for being thrown off the premises when he showed up to watch his son, then endlessly appealing the court rulings upholding the ban.

They did not go far.

The Horse World. 2 people, 3 opinions. That's the way it is.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

The Wards are truly amazing to me -- Barney seems never to have understood why what he did was wrong, or why he was punished. Very interesting.....

Given Lindemann's problems show jumping, maybe dressage is better for him. But I can't help but worrying about the horses there, too.

Paul Valliere has a lot of little kids he trains, no? I wonder if the parents even know about how he handles potential health or behavior concerns with their horses?

The Jayne kids I feel sorry for -- from what I've heard (admittedly not from any personal experience) they're nice, hardworking kids and having that family rep from the grandfather can't be fun for them.

Amazing, isn't it though how very litte outrage all of this truly generated in the horse world itself. The general public was shocked, but I can't help but feel the equestrian community as a whole would rather it just not be spoken of and we go on as we always have. Sad.

Last month's Chicago magazine (June 2002) did a large article on the old Jayne Feud - between Silas and George. July 10th is the sceduled retrial date for one of the associates of the famed 'Horse Maffia' of Chicago.

Paul trains very few little kids(I think he has one jr rider)Its mostly adults who know what happened and sale horses.

This has been discussed at length in the past - there are a certainly people who were involved, even if on the perifery, who are still active in the horse business.

Read the old threads:

Paul Valliere Ad

Excellent deal on breedings

Links to past articles on Equine Insurance Fraud

George Lindeman

Horse Killings for Insurance Revisited

All these old threads are now closed. Read them and weep! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

Found the view, just a-lookin' fer some $$$$ [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] ...
    co-author of 101 Jumping Exercises & The Rider's Fitness Program; Soon to come: Dead Ringer - a tale of equine mystery and intrique! Former Moderator!

George Lindemann's girlfriend?
    [i]\"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be wo

Lindemann was into dressage (bought Graf George and was trying to get on the Olympic team)when he was indicted. After he was convicted and served his time, I believe he went into polo down in Florida. His sister, Sloan, still shows in the hunters. (Or, at least, she was showing the last time I went to a h/j show, two or three years ago.)

The general consensus seemed to be that Lindemann believed he was above the law, pure and simple. It doesn't surprise me at all that he allegedly didn't deny anything to friends, but I would have been surprised beyond belief if he had made a plea. I was in the courtroom for the whole trial, and GL was very cordial and friendly and joking the whole time. I don't think he ever even entertained the thought of being convicted.

Isn't Dana Tripp showing again as well, under a different last name? I think she got married.

Dana married Chuckie Waters and has been showing in the jumpers.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Erin:

The general consensus seemed to be that Lindemann believed he was above the law, pure and simple. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

He sued the AHSA charging they did not have the authority to bar him from competition. He claimed it was in violation of a particular anti-trust act and took away his economic livelihood. He lost of course. The actual court case and details below which is a great read:
    AHSA lawsuit

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Hopeful Hunter:

The Jayne kids I feel sorry for -- from what I've heard (admittedly not from any personal experience) they're nice, hardworking kids and having that family rep from the grandfather can't be fun for them.

QUOTE]

I don't believe I have ever met the Jayne kids, as I left the Chicago area a long time ago. I must however mention that grandfather was not exactly the only bad apple on the tree. The kids have a LOT more to live with than Silas Jayne.

Wild Ride : The Rise and Tragic Fall of Calumet Farm, Inc.

Friendship is Love without his wings
    -Lord Byron
    "If you would have only one day to live, you should spend at least half of it in the saddle."

georgetowner Guest

I'm new to the board and have found it to be very informative...just got a copy of "Hot Blood" from the library yesterday but haven't started it.

However, "Stud -- Adventures in Breeding" by Kevin Conley is terrific...just finished that yesterday (a quick read).

PV has a huge clientel. They show in Palm Beach and he gives lessons off the grounds. Getting richer... His wife competes successfully.

Barney sells a zillion horses and business is better than ever. He bought a house across the canal from the DeNemethy ring (Palm Beach) and he can watch every class (and Grand Prix) held in that ring. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img] He isn't on the grounds, but he might as well be. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

George and sister Sloan have given some sort of giant scholarship to Brown Unviversity. I forget for what [no, wiseguys, not for animal protection [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] ).
    Cellular Farm horses are shown by Sloan.

Marian Hulick lives in Massachusetts (showed up at Emerson Burr's service!).

I thought (grandpa) Si Jayne died. Si, his son, is alive and well.

Silas Jayne is a great uncle to the "Jayne Kids" (Maggie, Charlie and Haylie). He was one of the brothers of Alex's father. Silas did not have any children, so any talk of his son is incorrect.

~the back of my horse, where the view is best!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by yd:
    PV has a huge clientel. They show in Palm Beach and he gives lessons off the grounds. Getting richer... His wife competes successfully.

Barney sells a zillion horses and business is better than ever. He bought a house across the canal from the DeNemethy ring (Palm Beach) and he can watch every class (and Grand Prix) held in that ring. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img] He isn't on the grounds, but he might as well be. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And that is exactly what is so pathetic about the horse business. That people who could commit such attrocities are patronized by ANYONE in this industry is unconscienable and disgusting. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img] They are condoning these actions and saying, "It's okay to kill horses for insurance money." They make me sick. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img]

But then again, these are probably the same kinds of people who ride a horse 'til it breaks, then throw it away like yesterday's lunch. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

~<>~ Daedalus built the Labyrinthe, so winding and complicated a structure that no man or beast, once shut inside, could ever find the exit~<>~

Well, at least we know they are jerks.

"What lamp has destiny to guide her little children stumbling in the dark?"

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by georgetowner:

However, "Stud -- Adventures in Breeding" by Kevin Conley is terrific...just finished that yesterday (a quick read).<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    I'll second that - a great, albeit thin, book.