The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Do you feel that a person who is HIV+ has a responsibility to inform those they ride with? http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...n_confused.gif

[This message was edited by Wild Filly on Jan. 29, 2003 at 04:12 PM.]
    i am so blessed...Martina McBride

Do you feel that a person who is HIV+ has a responsibility to inform those they ride with? http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...n_confused.gif

[This message was edited by Wild Filly on Jan. 29, 2003 at 04:12 PM.]

I guess I should introduce myself somewhat. I am HIV Positive and I ride. I want to know how people feel about it.

I guess I'll be the first to vote and post a response.
    I was going to vote for "They should inform one person who can speak up if " but upon thinking about it, I realized that there is no way to guarantee that that person would be present when it counted.
    But, while I believe that a person's medical history is there own to share or to keep private, I think in any sport, particularly one with the known risk factor like riding, that making sure those you ride with have that information is crucial, both for there safety and yours (I would imagine that this is information that would be useful, treatment wise, to an permedic or doctor should an accident require one but I don't really know).

But I don't think that means announcing it to the barn community, but your regular riding companions and coach should definitely be aware.

By poor, I mean we might have to share a helicopter with another family.

What Backstage Pass said.

Do they have med-alert bracelets etc? for HIV+ people b/c that might be a good idea.

Welcome to the boards http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_smile.gif

I think you are awesome for discussing it and getting awareness out there. THANK YOU!! My trainer unfortuntely passed a few years back. I also have a very god friend who his HIV pos and hasn't been able to discuss it with anyone due to the stigma that can come with it. I think that is a shame. SHe is a wonderful and brave and healthy woman. Anyway, thank you, and My prayers are heading your way.

~~Lisa~~
    Save a life, be an organ donor

Thank you for responding. I appreciate it.

I personally feel that it is enough for someone to inform the owner/manager and immediate riding buddies of their status in case of an injury, and to perhaps also wear a med-alert bracelet. Other than that, I don't see why it would present an issue.

Oh yeah, Welcome http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_smile.gif

March 14th 2003. D(idi)-Day
    aserejè ja de jè de jebe tu de jebere seibiunouva,
    majavi an de bugui an de buididipi...I loff the ignorance.

Centre Equestre de la Houssaye
    ---WHX---

I carry a first aid kit with several pairs of gloves etc in it for someone to use in case they need to. I figure if I have them with me when it happens, it won't be akward.

And most of the time I am riding with the same person and they are aware.

Rolex, your going to make me cry....THANK YOU

Welcome to the boards!

I would echo those above that the only ones who need to be aware are the people in charge of the stables, who would more than likely be responsible should you get hurt and require medical attention.

Otherwise, I would not consider it an issue http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_smile.gif

Wild filly: THANK YOU

~~Lisa~~
    Save a life, be an organ donor

I would have to say I would have no problem riding with you at all.

As a friend (other wise why would you be riding with this person), I would hope that that type of information would be shared so that I could help you better in case of an emergency. No different really if you were riding with someone that had epelepsy (sp) diabities, or any other health issue that might be relevent in case of an accident.

Congrats for bringing up such a tough subject. I personally think that at least the barn manager and the coach should know, and possibly any regular riding buddies. I love the idea of carrying a first aid kit with gloves. Accidents do happen, so it is best to be prepared. If I were in that situation I think that I'd tell those I actually knew (in a big boarding barn it is a bit much to tell everyone), but I certainly would not hide it. Good luck on the rough road ahead. And keep riding!!

www.freeholdequine.com

Do you know how difficult it is to tell someone? Whether it's an old or new friend, it is one of the most difficult things I have to face. Because at that moment that you tell someone that you are infected with HIV, you find out if they are truly your friend or not.
    It's a scary moment, some people can't handle it.

I have to agree that those you ride with should be aware of your HIV status. Just check out some of the accident threads for confirmation, LOL!

Having said that, I can't imagine how that would change your barn life. Hopefully not at all, but people (even horse people) can be weird. Personally, I wouldn't have an issue and would appreciate the honesty and courage it would take to make me aware and I would hope that your barnmates would feel the same!!

Oh, and welcome to the BB. Don't worry if you don't get overwhelmed with posts right away. Sometimes it takes people awhile to see the topic. There's also the possibility that some may avoid it, based on the title, as having the potential to bring forth STRONG opinions. It initially struck me as a question of whether to ride with an HIV infected person and some may take it that way.
    www.sandbarequinetransport.com

Proud member of the ILMD[FN]HP and Bull Snap Haters Cliques

Hi wild Filly !! I would not tell anyone but is hiv ummmm can you catch it frm someone else?? sorry http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_frown.gif just wondering.

*T I F F*
    http://www.readysetjumpit.com
    Tiff
    &
    Stormy

You would not want to touch any bodily fluids without a latex glove on.

I think it's important to remember that precautions should be taken when dealing with blood/bodily fluids whether you know the person is HIV positive or not.

That said, if somebody I was riding with knew they were HIV positive, I would probably appreciate knowing. It certainly wouldn't stop me from riding with them or performing first aid if necessary, but that way we could both know that we were prepared in case of an emergency.

On the other hand, if they weren't ready to deal with the emotional burden of telling people yet, I would understand. If somebody wasn't going to tell people, I might suggest that they do something like organize a first aid course for the barn to stress the importance of protecting yourself when performing first aid, then encourage everybody to carry gloves, etc. with them when they ride. If the person you're with knows you have gloves, they should be using them whether they know you're HIV positive or not.

I think this is a great topic to raise, thank you!