The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default My helmet saved my life

This Monday I took a green(ish) horse out for a hack with my friend/BO. This gelding is a gorgeous 17hand Hanoverian/TB by Waldorf out of a big lovely Tb mare. He is at the barn deciding what his job in life should be (insert subliminal message here: eventer, eventer, eventer . . . )

Anyway, we have to cross the country road at the end of the driveway and walk maybe 35 meters on the grass to get to a large field for hacking. We had just crossed and we heard a very loud pickup truck coming up behind us. The driver didn't slow down AT ALL. I moved the gelding as far as I could off the side of the road.

He spooked at the truck and then the carriage ponies and dodged left toward the road. His feet tangled and we fell over onto the pavement. My head took the force of landing and I watched him scramble off me. The driver missed us by 3 feet according to BO. She had not slowed a bit. If she had just slowed or moved over the entire incident could have been prevented.

I ended up with a foot broken in 2 places, mild (very mild) concussion and a hairline fracture of my hip.

Bottom line: MY HELMET SAVED MY LIFE. It was a simple hack and had I been in a baseball hat I would be dead. Plain and simple. The sound of that helmet hitting the pavement was a sound I will never forget. My first thought was "oh my God, I'm still alive". My second thought was "oh my God, get this horse off of me."

I'm recuperating just fine and though I will miss Full Gallop this weekend I consider myself quite lucky. Hopefully that woman learned a little lesson about speeding past horses.

Wear your helmets. Every single time.
    "Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing" - Robert Benchley
    Cotton would fight.
    http://buildingthegrove.blogspot.com/

Good God.

Well I am thankful you're here, not (too) badly injured and still well enough to post and make jokes.

Enjoy the helmet sales right now as you'll need a new one. And wow, rest up. That sounds awfully scary.

~Emily
    "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries

Glad to hear you are ok! Those carriage ponies can be really scarey!!!

It is, actually, why I don't take horses down our road anymore. There are just too many idiots. . . it's bad enough trying to walk the dogs. Between the cars and the neighbors who can't keep their dogs confined or under control. . .

Wow! I;m so glad that you are safe and that you were wearing a helmet. What a terrifying experience. Unbelievable how insensitive some drivers can be.

ACMEeventing is offline Grand Prix Premium Member
    Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by pegasusmom View Post
    Glad to hear you are ok! Those carriage ponies can be really scarey!!!

It is, actually, why I don't take horses down our road anymore. There are just too many idiots. . . it's bad enough trying to walk the dogs. Between the cars and the neighbors who can't keep their dogs confined or under control. . .
    It's shocking to me that people have so little sense. There are horses up and down that road, yours included, and still people fly at mach 3.

I've heard that Charles Owen will sell a replacement helmet at a reduced cost when you send a damaged one back. Anyone know how that works? I think I ordered mine from Smartpak.
    "Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing" - Robert Benchley
    Cotton would fight.

So glad you are ok. OMG can't believe you fell on pavement, thank god for the helmet.

Ouch! Glad you are still with us. I rode without a helmet yesterday for the first time in probably 20 years. (Riding with an old friend on her cow horses in western tack.) Your post is a good reminder that I need to slap my helmet on no matter what.
    If you believe everything you read, better not read. -- Japanese Proverb

OH THANK GOD you are alright!!!!!!! Amen.

Quote Originally Posted by ACMEeventing View Post
    It's shocking to me that people have so little sense. There are horses up and down that road, yours included, and still people fly at mach 3.
    Since my road will soon be your road. . . the house is lovely BTW!!

We live in the county we live in. There are a lot of idiots out there. . .

Quote Originally Posted by Debbie View Post
    Ouch! Glad you are still with us. I rode without a helmet yesterday for the first time in probably 20 years. (Riding with an old friend on her cow horses in western tack.) Your post is a good reminder that I need to slap my helmet on no matter what.
    A-Men!! I have a dressage friend here who took some reining lessons last summer with a VERY successful cow horse trainer and i couldn't believe it when she told me that she wore a helmet for her first lesson and the guy MADE FUN OF HER until she took it off. Unbelievable.

NO ONE is so good of a rider that they can guarantee their horse will never trip/stumble/spook/fall.
    "I is Roxie!" yep.

Ride on, ride on. All the bad things are gone.

Thank god you're okay. There's been a couple of times where the helmet saved my life after taking very hard falls off my horse. People suck.

Who's having helmet sales?
    Yogurt - If you're so cultured, how come I never see you at the opera? Steven Colbert

Thank God you are OK! You know, there are those who sneer at us helmet nazis, and there are those who just think "It won't happen to me!" Bullsh*t to both. I very sincerely wish you a speedy recovery and a pox of a thousand fleas on that idiot driver. I broke my hip in a fall, three screws and bingo, good as new. Sure hurts though, NOW is the time for those drugs!

Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by riderboy View Post
    Thank God you are OK! You know, there are those who sneer at us helmet nazis, and there are those who just think "It won't happen to me!" Bullsh*t to both. I very sincerely wish you a speedy recovery and a pox of a thousand fleas on that idiot driver. I broke my hip in a fall, three screws and bingo, good as new. Sure hurts though, NOW is the time for those drugs!
    I made a pledge to myself about 2 yrs ago to wear my helmet every ride, every time. As that horse fell over sideways and I watched the pavement come I thought "oh no, not like this". I really thought I was a dead woman. I heard the whoosh of the car go past and realized I was still alive.

My BO, who is a dear dear friend, is not a helmet wearer. I told her in the ER (while I was still on the backboard with C-spine collar) that my helmet saved my life. I think it might make a difference. She had to watch the entire thing play out.

As far as the driver of the car, a thousand fleas is just getting started!!
    Cotton would fight.

thanks for sharing. Hope you are not in too much pain, and take it easy until you heal all the way. Thank God you had the helmet on. That smacking sound on pavement just sends chills down my spine when I think of it!

As far as drivers and people....people will run over other people in the Walmart parking lot going 10 miles an hour. People just do not want to put their foot on the brake pedal when they see open road in front of them. Sometimes people like to just keep right on going believing that if they speed up and run past, the faster they are away the better. I have been hit by a car on the street riding (in California) so I know how stupid people can be behind the wheel. In our state, we can petition the state road people to put up caution signs for pedestrians and horses, and they have carriage signs posted in Amish areas, not sure they do any good, but if you could find out who she is, or actually get the license plate number and turn it in, you could find a way to make a claim against her auto insurance for your medical bills, since she caused an accident and left the scene -- that would make life a bit difficult for her....deservedly so....
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

That is a terrifying story. Thank God it wasn't worse, and thank God you were wearing that helmet.

Count me among the people who wear one every ride. And I've also given up road riding. Too many other fun things to do with my horse where we don't risk getting run down by an idiot.

I am glad you are okay.

I had a blast from the past today as I walked through our local cemetary with my great dane.

I literally bumped into the headstone of a young girl that died in my arms because she wasn't wearing a helmet when she was riding her young horse.

I am still shaking.

Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Bravestrom View Post
    I am glad you are okay.

I had a blast from the past today as I walked through our local cemetary with my great dane.

I literally bumped into the headstone of a young girl that died in my arms because she wasn't wearing a helmet when she was riding her young horse.

I am still shaking.
    I am so sorry. I am fortunate to be hobbling around with minor injuries.

And Retread - I was just thinking today that I wish I would've gotten her name and plate number. She was driving stupid and I'm the one stuck hobbling around. i am a contract employee and don't get paid time for sick days. Every day I'm out is a day not paid, yet she gets to carry on like nothing happened. Makes me crazy. I was so frozen after the horse rolled off that I didn't know my arse from a hole in the ground.
    Cotton would fight.

Charles Owen is great about replacing your helmet at reduced cost dependent on how old the helmet it. Just fill out their accident report and take your helmet with email they send you to your tackstore.

Two years ago I was schooling my young horse and he dumped me. I have no idea what happen and can't remember for about 10 minutes after that. I have fallen many times and fortunately never been knocked out, but one of the scariest things. Evidently I caught the horse, remounted, and was ready to jump him when my friend realized I had no idea what day it was, etc. I will say that made me realize the important of the one fall rule as frustrating as it is. If I had been alone I would have kept schooling him and had no idea what I was doing. But that's a whole different topic. Fortunately, I was wearing a new CO helmet so just ended up with a concussion and two weeks of no riding.

I was strict about riding with a helmet before that but am obssessed about it now I will not get on any horse without a helmet-I spent too much money on school to forget it all

That is just so scary and madening in so many ways. Thank heavens you are well enough to be posting and sharing your story with us. Hope you heal quickly and are comfortable.
    You can't fix stupid.