The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Default Early Start to the fall CotH hunt!

I was following the new posts on Pleasant Meadow Farm's original hunting thread, and I'm taking the suggestion to start a new thread for those who have always wanted to try hunting and want an opportunity to do so...and for folks like me, who are still very wet behind the ears but keep coming back (until someone sends us home )

Check in with the dates that Hunter's Rest has available in that thread...or perhaps she'll cut & paste here.

My own schedule is pretty flexible, but I would love to come down in September, during cub hunting. For an inexperienced rider like me, the slightly slower pace of the early part of the season is nice.

Right now I have vacation time available right after Labor Day (09/6-09/9). But as I said, I'm pretty flexible with dates.

Fun times!
    Alison Howard
    Homestead Farms, Maryland www.freshorganicvegetables.com

I am interested and flexible on dates.

I have in the past offered some 3-day intro to foxhunting clinics during the month of August, near Frederick, MD, with a private pack of hounds. We may do the same thing again this year, if there is sufficient interest. Please contact me privately.

Thumbs up Ph Lordy!!!

Oh Lordy I don't think I've recovered from the last one yet!!
    But we have enough tiara's to crown a whole new buncha Hunting Princesses so we got that covered!

Default Sounds like fun!

Nothing on my calendar until that Sunday - Landowner's Picnic... Can't miss the fun. Hinderella... Hunt with Hunter's Rest on Saturday 9/8 and continue your adventure as you travel north! Join me in NJ 9/9!!!! I'll try to get down to VA for the midweek or Saturday hunt as well!

Talking Let's hear what Hunter's Rest has to say!

Hinderella - You are SUCH an enabler. Love it!

Last edited by Sunnymeadefarm; Apr. 26, 2014 at 05:02 PM.

Waaaaaaaahhhhhhoooooooooo !!!!!!!!!
    Need I say more?
    Carol

Well I don't think I'll be ready this year, but you Coth enablers are making all of this very tempting. (Must get in better shape)

Cheval convert, I'm happy to be an enabler...it's actually a requirement, I think, to "pay it forward" and bring others into the passion of hunting. Where are you?

When I made my first visit to VA I had very little jumping experience, and even now, I rarely go over 2 feet. And I'm still afraid of speed...but I keep working hard and hoping to improve. I too, yearn for a trailer so I can get out more.

PMF, it would be great to stop in NJ on the way back from VA if, in fact that,s the designated weekend. If not, I will definitely make a separate trip to visit you...especially if you still have the perfect pony

Ok. OMG.
    We. Have. A. Date.
    And I'll tell you why.
    I *just* got done with a bluegrass jam session by two of the leading lights in traditional bluegrass - a local therapeutic massage therapist (from Sperryville) and my friend the editor from NYC. They played mandolin and guitar for my yoga group from 7 pm to just now -- 11 pm. Amazing.
    And ..........
    the local guy has a band he plays with,
    And ............
    I'm going to hire them (some, if not all - his guitar, banjo, fiddle, mandolin, upright bass)
    To. Play. A. Party. !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Here!!!!!!!!!!!!! On my front porch!!!!!!!!!!
    I emailed both guys (NYC will come back to hunt and play with us and play with the band, too) to see if Thurs.-Sun. around Sept. 15 weekend works for them to do a Friday night bluegrass jam, porchside.
    I'd do a bonfire in the front garden (it'll be fallow by then) and set up chairs in the lawn, and they'd play on the porch. I could have some good dancers waltz on the front walk.
    We'd either swap to Sat. night if we have inclement weather, or do it in the barn or in the house.
    So, with that as the bar-raising centerpiece -- and with the Tony Hazzard bluegrass standard "Fox On The Run" as the centerpiece-of-the-centerpiece), we'd do the traditional Thursday afternoon-thru-Sunday lunch foxhunting weekend.
    Hack Thursday afternoon. Dinner out (or at another local hostess's place) Thursday night.
    Cross country lesson Friday morning. Shopping/freeform Friday midday. Kennel visit Friday afternoon. Bluegrass jam and dinner cookout Friday night.
    Saturday hunting here at Hunter's Rest with the Old Dominion Hounds. Saturday afternoon TBD (not sure if there's steeplechasing that day locally, or what. Maybe attend a show or event or ...?) Dinner at TBD Sat. ngiht (hopefully at Watery Glen.)
    Hack Sunday morning, then brunch, then optional foot hunting with the local bassets, or .....????
    Who's in???!
    * www.huntersrest.net -- Virginia hunt country's best Bed-and-Breakfast-and-Barn.

I will definitely be trying to make a trip back home in the fall, but no idea on when. Most likely Oct/Nov.

Cheval convert, come on a COTH weekend and car-follow. It will give you a good idea of what to expect, and if you go with an expert like Wateryglen, she'll have you in all the right spots for the best viewing.

Aaah, HR, just saw your post. Sept probably too early for me, but that sounds like FUN!

Whoaaa...14 Sept you say? "Porch band" are the magic words to get even DH to (willingly) come along. Pencil us and WP in for a Friday overnighter!

Not fair. Not fair at all. This is why I miss VA!!!

Can I just come up for the party and stay over Fri night? Maybe bring my BF, finally. Spence is determined to make me broke with all the vet bills I've been paying lately, so I will have to forego the hunting and cap fee, but I'd love to see everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by WP View Post
    Whoaaa...14 Sept you say? "Porch band" are the magic words to get even DH to (willingly) come along. Pencil us and WP in for a Friday overnighter!
    Wait!!! Porch band and a DH coming along? This may be possible - music and someone for my DH to hang out with!

Will have to have a chat wih DH and see what he says.

Quote Originally Posted by Cammie View Post
    Cheval convert, come on a COTH weekend and car-follow. It will give you a good idea of what to expect, and if you go with an expert like Wateryglen, she'll have you in all the right spots for the best viewing.
    she darn near got Mr. SmartAlex run over by a fox. Twice

Default OOoohhh Bluegrass

And me who just got a new Martin and knows all the chords to Fox on the Run.

When you firm up the dates, let me know, that sounds like a PARTY!!

My parents just left from their visit. Dad is a huge bluegrass fan, I grew up with it.

I surprised him by still remembering all the words to Walbash Cannonball.

Stuff from our childhood. Bluegrass music and wild riding on naughty ponies.

Let's all relive our youth for a weekend.

My vacation is presently scheduled for the week before, but I'll see if I can change it, or if I can take additional vacation time for the hunt. It sounds like a lot of fun!

Riding Again, I'm sorry to hear about Spence's vet bills...it does seem that the horse who is healthy from day 1 gets sick/injured as soon as the ink is dry on your purchase papers I'm sure he'll be better soon, and car following is always fun.

Cheval Convert, if you don't feel ready to ride, you should absolutely consider car following. If WG is involved, you're almost certain to have a graet time, and fox sightings...maybe more sightings than the hunt has. And spouses who come have a great time. Mr. Smart Alex and Mr. Hinderella really enjoyed sleeping on HR's front porch