The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

Default Updated: Showing in the rain--rain report 1st post

Update: Dampness, but not wetness prevailed! Yay! Sprinkles fell while I was warming up around 7am, but nothing more until the poor kids were hacking in the short stirrup--boy they got wet! We had a shot of rain around noon, but again, I lucked out and hid in the barn while we waited for a girl to come back to the ring for her flat class. Lots of "conflicts" today made us wait unnecessarily (is that possible at a hunter show??). I ended up reserve champion in my division of Chicken Adults, and won the medal! Woot for me! I am so happy we didn't have to slog in the rain. All your advice must have kept the showers away.

I think our luck has run out--the shows I've done (1-2 day, B-rated, outdoor ring) this spring have been mercifully dry--a most unusual occurrence for the PNW, but Saturday is looking distinctly damp.

What are your strategies for keeping yourself and your horse happy, drier and still functional? Thankfully, Mr. Horse doesn't mind sloppy, puddly footing and rain in the face makes him slower (always an issue when a jumper by nature is forced to plug around in the Wee Hunters with his Chicken Mother). Hunt coat or polo/sweater/vest? (generally, there is a mix of full hunter regalia vs. tidy shirt/vest riders). The temps will be in the 60's, a bit muggy (by our standards), and showers are expected.

What do you do to your saddle pre or post ride to help it recover from wetting? I've been an indoor weeny for years now!
    Last edited by Calvincrowe; Jun. 2, 2012 at 07:26 PM.
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

My saddle/tack gets its normal cleaning and oiling.

As far as making it more bearable... It's never more bearable. I hate it. I would happily go for a gallop in the rain, but I hate showing in the rain.

I will say that those weird stirrup pads that are held on by zip ties (they go all the way around the base of the iron, closed with zip ties on the bottom) are a LIFE SAVER. I liked them so much I left them on when the rain stopped. They work about as well as cheese graters but they don't shred your boots.
    I've heard there's more to life than an FEI tent and hotel rooms, so I'm trying it.

I don't show in the rain.

I'm happy to pay the late entry fee as insurance against having to show in the rain.

If you want to keep your saddle horse dry between rounds/classes, throw a plastic shower curtain over him. Nothing really makes showing in the rain bearable, though,.

Lots of extra sets of clothes

Rubber boots

Those rubber covers for your show boots (if it's really a deluge, I just leave them on to show in - gives some extra grip on the stirrups)

Rubber reins

A towel in the trailer

I use Nikwax on my tack, or Hydropane (Hydrophane?) Waterproofing leather conditioner, basically.

If possible, tack horse up in its stall or on the trailer

A large muck tub for filthy horse boots etc.

A laundry bag or another tub for all your wet & filthy clothes.

A thermos full of hot chocolate laced with Baileys
    Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

Bring a lot of towels, a couple pairs of dry socks, at least one pair of dry underwear and some spare riding gloves.

Awesome! I've already entered the show (it is at our barn...so I do have a built in stall, thank god!), I will bring towels and the extra underwear is an inspired idea. Love the bucket for wet crap, too. I have cheese grater stirrups, and my boots are on their last moments, so if they succumb to the elements, I won't cry too much.

Quote Originally Posted by pds View Post

I'm happy to pay the late entry fee as insurance against having to show in the rain.
    Unfortunately, if I tried this technique I would get to show roughly once a year. The PNW is just a damp and rainy place!

If you are serious about preparing for rain (as most of us PNW-ers have to be ) I would buy a pair of the grand prix riding rain pants. Seen here. They are like track pants in that they have zip/velcro/button sides, and so you can take them off and put them on in the saddle, and without taking your boots off, etc. You could easily take them off at the in gate, but when it is really raining here, everyone shows in them. They are FABULOUS and I never go to a show without having them on hand. Not slippery and completely comfortable to ride in.

Other than that, I just make sure to condition my tack really well, bring a couple of beach towels to dry things off with, and bring my coziest cooler for my horse to dry off in.

We have a rainsheet called Rambo Mac in the Sack that goes up the neck and is helpful when you're standing out ringside waiting. (I had to buy another one because I lent mine out to someone in need at a particularly wet, wet, wet medals final and it was not returned. C'mon, fellow horsemen! Ah well, guess it's out there keeping some other horse dry.) There's something similar for around $75 on the Dover website.

Quote Originally Posted by pds View Post

Not only would that limit show days for us in the PNW, but the weathermen cannot predict the weather accurately - so even it said 0% chance of rain or 100% chance of rain could mean you get the complete opposite and anything in between. (not their fault, just the nature of the area)

This is my first year showing and this weekend I'm indoors (Quarry Ridge!) so I have yet to show outside. But those GP Rain Pants look like a good plan. I have FITS Bekas and the material seems to be of a water resistant type so I might have a good product already.

Plus I had no idea what those Mack In Sacks were for, so thanks! Now I'm going to have buy another Rambo product, darn

My biggest issue with showing in the rain - wet, slippery reins. I don't have rubber ones, so here is what I do.

I school/warm up in a pair of gloves and have a second pair tucked in my pants (under a rain coat), along with a small towel. If it is raining, my gloves are typically soaked by the time I have to show and it SUX to try to hold onto the reins at this point. So immediately prior to going in, I whip off the wet pair...dry my hands on the towel best I can, wipe down my reins quickly, put on the dry gloves and go.

Makes a HUGE difference for me. As long as I can hold onto the reins, I'm good.

I hate the rain and the cold, I'd rather scratch.

But when there's no other option (say Dressage at Devon). The key for me is a zillion pairs of dry socks. A zillion. I cannot STAND wet feet.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Quote Originally Posted by TrakeGirl View Post
    If it is raining, my gloves are typically soaked by the time I have to show and it SUX to try to hold onto the reins at this point.
    Not to mention getting into and out of the wet gloves at will.

I once got so soaked at a show, I had to sit with my feet up on the bumper until the water drained out of my tall boots and they un-vaporlocked.

Quote Originally Posted by vxf111 View Post
    I hate the rain and the cold, I'd rather scratch.

But when there's no other option (say Dressage at Devon). The key for me is a zillion pairs of dry socks. A zillion. I cannot STAND wet feet.
    LOL, I was also going to say "scratch."

Quote Originally Posted by Dewey View Post
    I actually have this cover and it is FANTASTIC and grippy! I school in it on wet days.

I loathe riding in the rain for the most part, but hey...look where I live.

Extra pairs of everything, try to cover up with the rain pants, extra gloves, helmet cover. If you're trailering in, show up WAY earlier so you can find a less downpour-y time to warm up Dobbin, then huck him back in the trailer to stay dryish when it starts coming down again. Oy. Wear a bball cap. I can generally bear anything as long as rain doesn't hit my face. Rain on my face makes me Hulkishly angry.
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by TrakeGirl View Post
    My biggest issue with showing in the rain - wet, slippery reins. I don't have rubber ones, so here is what I do.

I school/warm up in a pair of gloves and have a second pair tucked in my pants (under a rain coat), along with a small towel. If it is raining, my gloves are typically soaked by the time I have to show and it SUX to try to hold onto the reins at this point. So immediately prior to going in, I whip off the wet pair...dry my hands on the towel best I can, wipe down my reins quickly, put on the dry gloves and go.

Makes a HUGE difference for me. As long as I can hold onto the reins, I'm good.
    Re. the wet glove problem, I HIGHLY suggest that people try Macwet gloves. www.macwet.com

They are hands down the BEST riding gloves ever. They're designed to get grippier as they get wetter and they dry fast too. I believe that the British Eventing team has switched to using them entirely. They're also used in a variety of other sports where good grip is required - rowing, shooting, golfing, etc.

The also fit your hand very closely, so it is very easy to make tack adjustments while wearing them - thus no real need to take them off. They come in a micromesh, which allows airflow to the top of the hand in warm weather and a fleece lined "climatec" version for cold weather. I found them by accident when I bought a pair cheap off ebay and fell in love. Now they are all I use.

They're only $45-50 and way better than any pair of expensive leather glove.

Bonus - you can use a touch screen cell phone while wearing them...

Keep a flask in the pocket of your show coat?
    2012 goal: learn to ride like a Barn Rat

A helmet saved my life.

I love the flask idea--who doesn't ride better when they are relaxed? However--from hard experience--never try to unbraid after a few post-show microbrews. Just sayin'.

I'm planning a nice dinner after the show, complete with an amazing bottle of Pinot Grigio I got during a wine tasting weekend recently, so I'll wait on the drinks.