The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default First time buying full-seat breeches-do I need to size up?

I am going to my first dressage show in a long, long, time, and I have decided to buy some full-seat breeches. Do I need to buy a larger size to account for the extra material? Since I only buy one or two pairs of breeches a year, I am going to buy Pikeur.
    friend of bar.ka

I am dressed up. These wellies are clean.

In my experience, you do not need to get a larger size just because they are full seats. However, I would suggest trying them on if possible prior to purchase. Each style is different. I'd think if you normally buy Pikeurs, they should size true.

I am going to my first dressage show in a long, long, time, and I have decided to buy some full-seat breeches. Do I need to buy a larger size to account for the extra material? Since I only buy one or two pairs of breeches a year, I am going to buy Pikeur.

I don't know what you usually wear for knee patch breeches. TS Trophy Hunters fit me very well in size 28. For full seats, Pikeur Cindy's fit pretty much the same in an EU 30 (equivalent to US28), so they run pretty true to size. Some confusion over having to buy full seats a size up may be just because of that...European sizing, people might see the 30 (in my case) and think they've sized up, when they haven't.

Have you considered Equissentials?
    Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Default Equissentials?

I have never tried this brand, what do you like about them?

I've tried on tons of breeches and they all fit differently. I don't necessarily take the same size in each.

Try on everything and see what feels comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by oldgreypony View Post
    I have never tried this brand, what do you like about them?
    made to your measurements. And if you loose weight they will alter them. If the fabric, not the leather , wears out they will put the leather on new fabric.

Warning, they are addictive

Equissentials.net
    Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

I personally have to size up for full seats but I have thick thighs and a big butt. The full seat doesnt stretch like fabric does on knee patch ones. If you arent particularly curvey, tou should be the same size but ditto to the suggestion of trying them on bc they all fit differently.
    ~~~~~~~~~

Member of the ILMD[FN]HP Clique, The Florida Clique, OMGiH I loff my mares, and the Bareback Riders clique!

The only FS breeches that I have found that work for me are FITS. Anything else feels like a diaper (not that I've worn one of those in a looong time). The other FS breech that I have worn that was good (but not as good as FITS though much less expensive) are the Kerrits with the "V" panel in front. I wore them years ago when the seat was real leather. The FITS are expensive, but IMHO if you are spending the money for Pikeur you should at least try on a pair of FITS and sit in a saddle in the store.
    "You post all your drama on Facebook and get mad when people judge you? You're a special kind of stupid, aren't you?"

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyTBMare View Post
    I personally have to size up for full seats but I have thick thighs and a big butt. The full seat doesnt stretch like fabric does on knee patch ones. If you arent particularly curvey, tou should be the same size but ditto to the suggestion of trying them on bc they all fit differently.
    The deerskin full seats on Equissentials and Tropical Rider breeches have lots of stretch in them. FITS also are non-restrictive due to the separation of the panels.
    Quote Originally Posted by Linny View Post
    Those martingales were so taut, you could play Ode to Joy on them with a comb

I like th Ovation Ultra DX full seats. The clarino seat isn't thick like other breeches so it doesn't give you that "diaper" feel. They are also lined in a dri-lex material so that you don't get tee slimy sweaty seat like alot of other full seats that don't breathe. I personally don't like FITS at all. I tried on a pair and they felt like cheap thin riding tights. Certainly NOT what I expected for the price.

http://www.adamshorsesupplies.com/Ov...ies-P5019.aspx
    The only thing the government needs to solve all of its problems is a Council of Common Sense.

Try on as many brands as you can! They all fit differently. I am a curvy girl...so I have found that the knee patch I love so much are not the same in full seats. Personally - the Royal Highness line fits beautifully. I am hourglass figured - so my waist is considerly smaller than my hips and rearend. In the Royal Highness - I can wear the same size in full seat as I can in knee patch. The fabrics they use are very giving.

Try, Try and Try some more! Bend, squat, kneel, etc in each pair.
    Heather
    Green Cove Springs, FL

I generally have to size up for full-seats. I wear a 28L in knee patch, but a 30L in full seats. Of course, I've since switched to FITS. FITS don't come in numeric sizes. I wear a medium in FITS - love them!

I bought one pair of Equissentials - hate them! Everyone has different preferances. It's best to go to a store with lots of breeches to figure out what you like and what size you wear.

I have a small frame and slender build, so I didn't need to size up for the full seat, as mine fit ok as is.

FYI-

Tack of the Day has a pair of Full Seat Ovations on sale today:

http://www.tackoftheday.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=1833