The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default i don't wanna

I'm pouting this morning because i have to go back to working one of the geldings that is not on my list of favorites.

He isn't a bad horse. He is very pretty and a great mover, but, he is a ninny! Or maybe he is ADD? He is very "oh look at the kitty!" And I am just waiting for the day that turns in to us going a** over tea cup.

I am just spoiled. The two mares I've been working are just such hard working, focused girls, it makes riding this silly brain feel like torture!

Alas, days like this I had a working student!

Any takers? I pay nothing and work in 110+ temps....LOL
    “Four things greater than all things are, - Women and Horses and Power and War”

Quote Originally Posted by wingedmare View Post

I am just spoiled.

This.

I feel for you. My mare used to be like that - I'd get about 3 seconds of focus then she'd see something shiny and would be mentally gone for the day. ~sigh~

Much as I love her, I used to actually dread going to the barn some days because it was so much work to keep her attention long enough to accomplish anything.

As is obvious from the tense, she's far better now - turning seven seems to have matured her greatly.

If I run into anyone who wants the job, I'll let you know.

Age helps, I keep telling myself this! He is just 4 so, he SHOULD grow out of it.
    And yes, spoiled it is. Bacardi
    AND I LOVE IT! Hehehe

Ride him first, then it's over with and you can move onto the easier ones!

Not a terrible problem to have!
    (A decidedly unhorsey) MrB knocks over a feed bucket at the tack shop and mutters, "Oh crap. I failed the stadium jumping phase."
    (he does listen!)

Nope bits619, it's not, just a reminder of how good everyone else is! LOL

HOWEVER saved by the wind. Thanks to desert winds whipping up sand storms this morning, I get a day off...to clean house and do chores :/ pain in the butt pony is looking better with every sock I sort through...

In my (limited) experience, 4 is a stoopid age for many horses. Many improve after that.
    I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
    I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09

Lori, very true. I am just so used to having my hands on them from the moment they hit the ground until they are under saddle, it makes a big difference from the ones I get later on. This guy is one of those. I just have to battle through.

What really frustrates me is that when he is on, he is GREAT! It's like the smart kid in class who won't apply himself.

Instead of thinking, yuck I have to go ride this horse think yay! I don't have to go sit in an office for 8-10 hours today and then try to go ride after that when I'm exhausted and frazzled and generally in a bad mood.

Feel better?
    ~* Life is the dance you choose *~

LOL true Reefy. this is true. I could never do the office work....it drove me insane!

I'm with you OP. I get to ride somewhat irregularly and on occasion I get the Heavy. Now he's 16+hh and is a solidly built boy. He is also so heavy on the forehand it's like dead lifting a solid oak built for 10 people table around the arena. I'm good for about 10 minutes of him mowing through my aids before I finally demand he carry himself. When he lightens up he's fantastic but UGH! He will also go heavy through the whole lesson on occasion which really ticks me off. Good news is it used to be the whole lesson was working on lightening up and working correctly now it's only 10 minutes. He's also pushy and self important on the ground though he loves to snuggle and looks smashing with hot pink extensions in his hair.
    Adoring fan of A Fine Romance
    Originally Posted by alicen:
    What serious breeder would think that a horse at that performance level is push button? Even so, that's still a lot of buttons to push.

Leilatigress, Oh, been there too...always fun to dismount and feel like you have just done and hour of Sun Gods!

I rode a horse like that in college and I swear when ever I got a "Good Job!" from my instructor I had NO CLUE! that we had actually accomplished anything he was such a brute.
    At least it helps you develop some sexy man shoulder *snicker*

Funny though, when you finally get past all of that, you forgot just how tough it was getting to that nice horse inside.