The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 51 of 314 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101151 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,020 of 6274

Originally Posted by WalkInTheWoods
    Address your letter to Dear Judge Mattice. This is fine for emails - (snail mail envelope and letter instructions below)

WItW: As for the letter contents, would it be productive to include comments such as "the whole world is looking at us (usa) to resolve this issue once and for all," "O'Connell should receive jail/prison time to set an example to other TWH abusers," bring up the fact that there was no remorse shown by the perp(s); "please don't let these horses slip through the cracks."

I want to make an impression but don't want to bog the judge down or insult/question his intelligence or inherent judgment.

Don't get me wrong, I can be convincing--I wrote a letter once to a judge/prosecutor--darn I can't recall which, but it was in re the Montana horse abuse case where the perps left a horse on the trail to die and the horses' saddles were not removed for days. I was hot! I was respectful but implored them to nail the guys responsible--no slaps on the hands at all. I implored them to send a message!

For that case, snail mail was the only choice; so is it productive to send both snail and e-mail in this case or would that be overkill? Any and all comments are welcome.

>>>Be careful that all horse owners and breeders in Tennessee are not painted with the same brush.<<<

That won't happen here--we have the intelligence to know who's who. And Tennessee is only where the whole big lick thing is "centered" and "celebrated" (not necessarily only happening). There are so many people, TWH owners and all, who don't tolerate soring and the big lick. In fact, I have a new appreciation for the TWH--so many great qualities--just mind boggling what a great breed this is. Why would we allow/tolerate it to be abused?

And the State did respond by passing an abuse law that specifically EXCLUDES the type of abuse they've become internationally famous for...

That sends a great message to the world.

greygirls - i remember that case up in the Bitteroots and werent the perps fined and jailed ? Followed the aftercare of the horses for a while but never saw if that one horse Able and the other three fully recovered.

Good suggestions about what to say in the snail/e mails. I know a form letter isnt effective and people need to put things in their own words.

Re: snail and e mails. Some ppl might be more inclined to send one than the other. Its hard to say what will be more effective. Will they read snail mail or put them in the circular file? Will they read emails or click delete? I dont know. It depends on who handles both types of correspondence. I just feel better sending the message both ways. JMO

Cant wait to see what Roy Exum has to say about the new anti-cruelty law.

we can not be fooled,in this State the # of HPA violations was /is 200+

a guy just over the knoll has 7 violation and he is on the Board of the TWHBEA.

Please don't believe that there is not a Big Lick horse in a dark barn in your State being hurt and abused just to get that owner"s or trainer"S name on the wall of FAME.

Think about this WE ARE PAVING THE WAY TO STOP SORING.making a change in the rules. shinning a bright LIGHT on the abusive practices of some people in the world of TWH showing.

lets keep holding hands in this FIGHT,Keeping our VOICES LOUD,letting those that ABUSE hear US coming.

Roy's views on recent events.

Roy Exum: Justice’s Walking-Horse Victory
    Saturday, May 26, 2012 - by Roy Exum

http://www.chattanoogan.com/2012/5/2...e-Victory.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by greygirls View Post
    >>>Be careful that all horse owners and breeders in Tennessee are not painted with the same brush.<<<

That won't happen here--we have the intelligence to know who's who. And Tennessee is only where the whole big lick thing is "centered" and "celebrated" (not necessarily only happening). There are so many people, TWH owners and all, who don't tolerate soring and the big lick. In fact, I have a new appreciation for the TWH--so many great qualities--just mind boggling what a great breed this is. Why would we allow/tolerate it to be abused?
    I would respectfully disagree with your statement. A previous post listed the number of DQ'a state by state and there were quite a few.

There was also a previous post from a person yesterday who stated that after this is cleared up they can start to go after other breeds. Comments such as that do not garner support from other breeds or their owners. That is not to say there are not other problems but I do not think a witch hunt will prove to help the horse..it will help the coffers of HSUS however.

When you MAIL a letter to a politician (more effective than emails as it takes an effort and therefore they claim that EACH LETTER represents over 100 individuals) be prepared to present 1. the complaint 2. the impact on the horse industry 3. the impact on the community i.e. where shows "featuring" big lick are held 4. the impact on Tennessee which also is a hub for C & W music and does not need negative or boycotting publicity and 5. Stress that the solution should come from those involved in the industry NOT HSUS, Peta or other groups.

If the solution is left up to the government they will willingly turn it over to a group that will provide legislation AND anti horse show and ownershipp solutions.

Default Well said

Quote Originally Posted by aarpaso View Post
    we can not be fooled,in this State the # of HPA violations was /is 200+

a guy just over the knoll has 7 violation and he is on the Board of the TWHBEA.

Please don't believe that there is not a Big Lick horse in a dark barn in your State being hurt and abused just to get that owner"s or trainer"S name on the wall of FAME.

Think about this WE ARE PAVING THE WAY TO STOP SORING.making a change in the rules. shinning a bright LIGHT on the abusive practices of some people in the world of TWH showing.

lets keep holding hands in this FIGHT,Keeping our VOICES LOUD,letting those that ABUSE hear US coming.
    Well said, and so very true.

what is the post # you are eluding 2 FAIRFAX could it be 995,when i stated that the problem at hand was the abuse of the TWH and not the banter about pads on other breeds. if abuse is happening in other breeds that brake the Law of the state or country,they need to be stopped. period

For decades the STATE of Tennessee has turned a blind eye to the ABUSE of this breed of HORSE.and i for one do not care who turned on that BRIGHT LIGHT of TRUTH. i'm here to help it stay lite until the Law has more teeth,and those that brake it are held accountable. the rules that govern the showning of the TWH are changed,and the BIG LICK is NO MORE.

Quote Originally Posted by WalkInTheWoods View Post
    Roy's views on recent events.

Roy Exum: Justice’s Walking-Horse Victory
    Saturday, May 26, 2012 - by Roy Exum

http://www.chattanoogan.com/2012/5/2...e-Victory.aspx
    ??? He kind of lost me in that one. Not sure who this article is directed to.

It also looks as if he may not have carefully read the "rigid new law" just passed by the state legislature.

i wondered that too - i emailed him to take a closer look at it in particular (d) which expempts animals in training from (b) and (c)

For those of you that think this current incident is "paving the way" or something new let me assure you it is NOT. If anyone should get any credit for paving the way it is surely the Tennessean which has not missed any opportunity to do huge exposés at various times over the last 15-20 years and probably the USDA.

This is just one in a long line of bright lights on the sport. At the end of the day what will change things--really change things--will be the industry itself wanting to change. That will and IS happening at a local level. Knowledge is power and the expansiveness of social media is putting the knowledge in places it's never been. As I said earlier there are still communities here where shame and what your neighbors think of you play a very important role. What your hairdresser, your preacher, and your next door neighbor thinks counts. If THEY think the TWH industry is systematic abuse the Big Lick will die.

Just a word to the wise about your "broad brush," telling people who are solid horseman and/or who are working to change things that they are scum because they live in this state will NOT help your cause. Insulting people as a campaign strategy to win their support is ineffective as well as stupid.

A little prediction: Watch Sunday's (tomorrow) Tennessean. I'll be surprised if there isn't a long well researched front page piece.

Quote Originally Posted by subk View Post
    This is just one in a long line of bright lights on the sport. At the end of the day what will change things--really change things--will be the industry itself wanting to change. That will and IS happening at a local level. Knowledge is power and the expansiveness of social media is putting the knowledge in places it's never been. As I said earlier there are still communities here where shame and what your neighbors think of you play a very important role. What your hairdresser, your preacher, and your next door neighbor thinks counts.
    As a helpless feeling outsider, this is is what I've been hoping for.

For change to happen, it's going to take trainers telling owners, "I don't care how much you want to win; I won't sore." And it's going to take owners telling trainers, " I don't care how much you want to win; don't sore my horse."

People are capable of change. Let's just hope it happens.
    It's 2014. Do you know where your old horse is?

Quote Originally Posted by pony4me View Post
    For change to happen, it's going to take trainers telling owners, "I don't care how much you want to win; I won't sore." And it's going to take owners telling trainers, " I don't care how much you want to win; don't sore my horse."

People are capable of change. Let's just hope it happens.
    I am totally ignorant about TWH (and I have not read all 51 pages so this question has probably already been asked and answered) so this will seem a very dumb question to most of you but can judges tell if a horse has been sored? If so the judges need to say "If you sore you will not win." As long as this behaviour is rewarded it will continue.
    where am I, what day is it, am I still having a good time?

HWNN-- The Judges ARE part of the problem. Most of them are also Big Lick trainers or exhibitors/ owners or FORMER BL trainers and exhibitor/ owners.

Quote Originally Posted by bayou_bengal View Post
    HWNN-- The Judges ARE part of the problem. Most of them are also Big Lick trainers or exhibitors/ owners or FORMER BL trainers and exhibitor/ owners.
    Exactly. The Tennessee Walking Horse industry is clearly not capable of solving its own problems. There is no will to do so. It is too bad, but clear, that animal rights groups have demonstrated the only desire to solve this problem. The media steps in from time to time, to their credit, but the cruelty persists.

If the State of Tennessee continues to respond by writing animal cruelty laws that allow soring, electrocuting, etc., for the purpose of training, the only recourse is the Federal Government.

Quote Originally Posted by bayou_bengal View Post
    where am I, what day is it, am I still having a good time?

http://www.twhbea.com/association/bod.php

email the board of directors of the TWHBEA and ask them to review the whole purpose of the Big Lick division. What is it judging?