The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unhappy Issue with Customs Ordering from HorsePre Race

I ordered a months supply of omeprazole tubes last week - they were shipped right away and listed to be delivered Thursday. I called Fed Ex and they said it had been sent to customs. I called customs and the guy there said there is nothing on record - but to call tomorrow and see because it might be being checked by Health Canada, BUT it could also be sent to Ottawa for further testing and if that's the case it is probably gone forever.

I spent almost $300 on this and I just really want my horse to get some good ulcer meds. Has anyone else had issues shipping from them to Canada? I'm looking for Customs information on shipping it in but finding nothing

Did you accidentally run afoul of importing meds without a prescription from the country you are importing to? People who travel internationally can often find themselves spending more time in customs and loosing whatever they innocently bought at a drugstore.

I have family in Canada and got some over the counter painkillers taken away from me going back into the USA after a visit. They were in plain sight in my purse and resulted in a complete bag search including suitcase emptying, checking all packed clothing pockets and sitting around forever while they decided I was not running illegal meds. They did choose not to take me into custody.

I was not offered a refund for the confiscated drug. BTW, I had brought them in, one bottle for personal use, many other times, just got lucky winning the random search lottery. I wonder if the quantity of the product might have kicked it past some limit or other.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Don't freak out yet. I received an order from them that I had to "broker" myself. I had to go to Fedex first, get some form or something from them (it was a while ago now), then go to the customs building at the airport. It's great if you live close by, it saves you the brokerage fee. If you don't, it sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by gumshoe View Post
    Don't freak out yet. I received an order from them that I had to "broker" myself. I had to go to Fedex first, get some form or something from them (it was a while ago now), then go to the customs building at the airport. It's great if you live close by, it saves you the brokerage fee. If you don't, it sucks.
    Oh ok great, how long did the package stay in customs if you can recall? I don't care if I have to drive to Toronto..I will do it! LOL...just want the meds.

A friend of mine had trouble with her order (Pentosan) from Horseprerace getting stuck in Canada customs too. The order eventually showed up, it was just delayed. She called or emailed Horseprerace and they helped to expedite from their end, so you might try that too. I order Pentosan from them all the time and have never had any issues *knockonwood*. Best of luck.

oh, thats great news! Thanks for sharing, because I was having a mild freak out that my $300 is gone and so are my girls goodies lol

I've had completely innocent things (clothing) get stuck in Customs. Sometimes things go through almost as fast as they would within the country, other times if you're unlucky they disappear into the Customs hole for a few weeks.
    Proud Member Of The Lady Mafia

I have had them go to customs also (ribbons) but they showed up as there. This isn't showing they are at customs, just Fed Ex told me thats where it was...but they had no record at Customs. Possibly stuck in a bin. I will try and be patient.

Google FDA and Horse Pre Race. There is some information online that may be relevant to your delay in receiving your order.
    friend of bar*ka

I don't think FDA applies here in Canada though does it? I checked with Health Canada and can't find anything in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Addison View Post
    Google FDA and Horse Pre Race. There is some information online that may be relevant to your delay in receiving your order.
    Oh dear is this what you are referring to Addison? http://www.fda.gov/ICECI/Enforcement.../ucm421133.htm
    This is relatively recent too. Thanks for bringing this to our attention. Hope this doesn't spell bad news for Jealoushe's order.

No, the FDA has nothing to do with it. There are no FDA agents inspecting packages entering Canada.

I think I got a call from Fedex. I'm sorry, it's been a while since this happened. Try giving Fedex another call. Ask them if they can tell you exactly where it is. Is it on a truck, in a warehouse, at customs?

1 members found this post helpful.

Oh dear,
    omeprazole not considered to be effective by the FDA? Geesh, the crap companies have to go through. Thank you big government for protecting my animals from good health. Geesh.

Will do gumshoe. The customs guy told me to call there tomorrow and he will personally go look through the packages since it wasnt in the system. Here's hoping.

The FDA and the U.S. Customs and Border Protection Agency ran quite a large operation at numerous sites last year targeting any package that might contain an illegal shipment, including drugs from Canada, England, and many other countries. Fed Ex was also investigated for its role in delivering such illegal shipments.

Jealoushe, I hope you get your package soon.
    friend of bar*ka

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by flashwhitelock View Post
    Oh dear,
    omeprazole not considered to be effective by the FDA? Geesh, the crap companies have to go through. Thank you big government for protecting my animals from good health. Geesh.
    No, it said THIS COMPANY'S omeprazole is "adulterated" because it is not at the dosage indicated on the label.... and the description "generally recognized as safe and effective" is used for drugs that have been tested so many times, that they do not need new testing. It is often abbreviated as "GRAS".

3 members found this post helpful.

The OP is in Canada, not the U.S. I apologize for screaming but -

HORSEPRERACE IS NOT IN CANADA.

That is the reason the OP is waiting for her package. The package is coming into CANADA. It has to go through customs because horseprerace is not in Canada. The FDA has nothing to do with shipments entering Canada. It's sort of a whole different country.

Quote Originally Posted by Addison View Post
    The FDA and the U.S. Customs and Border Protection Agency ran quite a large operation at numerous sites last year targeting any package that might contain an illegal shipment, including drugs from Canada, England, and many other countries. Fed Ex was also investigated for its role in delivering such illegal shipments.

Jealoushe, I hope you get your package soon.

3 members found this post helpful.

Gumshoe you are correct...Horse Pre Race is in Florida. Mea culpa.

The FDA has not approved the marketing of their product as they are representing it as a drug and have found the product to be adulterated. That may be why the package has been delayed in customs.

Absolutely not trying to be problematic but a package I had expected to be delivered containing horse related products went missing and I myself am trying to find out why. The OPs situation seemed familiar to me.
    friend of bar*ka

I'm going to call customs in an hour....I'll let you know what they say...hopefully good news!

Just an update for anyone with similar issues, spoke with Customs and they have notice of my package. I will fax a letter stating whats in the box and that should help my case. Fingers crossed!