The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Troublesome Neighbor vent thread. Spin Off from Petting Zoo thread

From my other thread it seems like it's time for something like this.

I'll start with one that has been continuing from when I first got my own place 29 years ago. We have the horses there for two weeks and a neighbor introduces herself and says if I need someone to exercise my horses she'd like to offer her services. After a bit of probing discussion it turns out She's had 8 group lessons and is now trotting and hopes to do cross rails in the next lesson set. I tell her to let me know when she is jumping 3 foot courses without stirrups.

Then there was the time a friend of mine whose daycare center this woman uses calls me up to say the woman just dropped her kids off and wanted me to go to the main road near my house (about a 1/2 mile away) because there were some horses (not mine) loose in the road and I should get them. I was on crutches at the time and am still trying to figure out why she didn't stop and get them herself when she saw them, instead of having my friend call me 30 minutes later.

Then one day when I was having a retreat from humanity weekend, (Kids and husband gone have the place to myself for five days) the phone rings. Caller ID show's it's that neighbor so I let it go to voice mail. 5 minutes later I see her drive up don't bother to answer the door when she pounds on it. She goes away I continue with my retreat. Then I see a kid pressing my manure fork into the ground bending it as if she was trying to break it. I go outside and another kid is on my tarp covered sawdust pile. I ask them if they are in the habit of going on other people's property and messing with their stuff. The one says her mother said it was okay. I explained her mother didn't own this place and they needed to go home.

The two girls were about 12, we were having the barn re-roofed so it was a construction site. Mom calls and explains she felt since no one was home it was okay to leave the kids there to play with the barn cats. And after a bit of discussion about not leaving your kids on other people's property when they aren't home she declares that she will never have her kids play with my cats again as if that is somehow to my disadvantage.

Next year daughter is away at college and the horses are taking a break. She calls up are you doing anything with your horses? I'd like to have one since you aren't doing anything with them. I explain I only have one horse that is for sale. Disappointed she asks how much. Chokes on the $25K price I quote her and then states that she and her daughter were walking past my place my place and her daughter really thinks my horses are pretty and she promised her she would get her one. Couldn't I help her out. I restate the price. She says that's more than she wanted to spend (Of course it is she didn't want to spend anything.) Her daughter really thinks my horses are pretty. I don't say a word and she says I guess I can't have one of your horses. Bingo.

Later she got her daughter two ponies on a free lease. She rode them with a friend with no helmet on, galloped on the paved road and around people's empty fields and jumped a decorative wall with the ponies. The guy whose wall it was has several putting greens in his lawn so you can imagine how well pony hoof prints were received.

This woman also later offered to have her daughter jump our jumps for us. Huh?
    "I am sorry, I lead a bit of a complex life, things don't always happen in the right order" The Doctor

8 members found this post helpful.

Sounds like you have had bad luck. This is a shame. Most people who I have had contact with , both back East and Mid West, have been wonderful. Always a few nuts in the mix, but I still love a genuine and respectful admiration of horses from people in general. Laugh it off when it is no harm no foul. =)
    Come to the dark side, we have cookies

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Paks View Post
    This woman also later offered to have her daughter jump our jumps for us. Huh?
    Much like horses just standing in the field tragically going to waste, jumps get sad and neglected when not being used. You clearly should let her ride your horses, and jump your jumps.
    Proud Member Of The Lady Mafia

12 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Paks View Post
    And after a bit of discussion about not leaving your kids on other people's property when they aren't home she declares that she will never have her kids play with my cats again as if that is somehow to my disadvantage.
    Hahaha, I love that!
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Coanteen View Post
    Much like horses just standing in the field tragically going to waste, jumps get sad and neglected when not being used. You clearly should let her ride your horses, and jump your jumps.

Choke

snort...
    the NOT!! Spoiled!! Arabian Protectavest poster pony lives on in my heart http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o...pscc2a5330.jpg

1 members found this post helpful.

we are double fenced, the gates have programmable combination locks in case we need to tell a vet how to get in, and 120 pound German Shepherd Dog ..this appears to keep the unwanted from entering