The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Full training, who rides?

I would like to know what "full training"means to you. If there is a trainer that has two assistants is it usual for trainer to have assistant do all of the riding? Should one pay the same price if the assistant trainer only rides?
    Thank you in advance for your answers, help.

Every barn has its own policy. At our barn, you pay less for a ride by an assistant trainer. Sometimes the assistant gets along with the horse and rides it well enough that an owner is happy with the assistant doing all the riding, but that decision is not made without owner input.
    Founding member of the "I Miss bar.ka" clique
    Founding member of the "I Miss Pocket Trainer" clique

When I had my mare in full training for a summer she started off being ridden by the head trainer and then he had his new assistant work her. I could tell the difference as she was learning the division my mare was in training for. If I had left her in training I would have requested that only the head trainer work her as it was his experience that I was paying for. Now, in other barns I am familiar with, these are larger barns, I would be just as happy or happier with the assistant trainers working my horse. Totally depends on each individual trainer and the horse in question.

My trainer has some who are only ridden by her, ridden by a combo of her/assistant (majority of horses) or ridden only by the assistant. We pay the same price regardless, as it is clearly set out in the training contract that rides are done by trainer and/or assistant.

1 members found this post helpful.

I don't think it matters as long as the arrangement is fully transparent, discussed in advance, and agreed upon by both parties.

In general, if assistant trainers put most of the riding time on my horse, I would, at a minimum, expect the head trainer to ride my horse once/week, just to verify the horse's progress.

As far as paying less, I think if the assistant trainer is the only one working with your horse, then you probably ought to be charged less, but I could be convinced otherwise.

If the situation is one where the head trainer and assistant trainer both ride the horse, I'm OK with that as long as the assistant trainer is a good rider/trainer who can make progress with my horse.

2 members found this post helpful.

Yep, it depends.

My young horse is with my trainer because she needs consistent work and my schedule has been crazy and preventing it happening from me. He has "grooms" who are there to saddle/groom for him one day a week to work off lessons. One is a VERY talented teenager who rides better than I do and is also very sympathetic and quiet in her riding. I actually asked him to have her ride my mare some, because I want my mare to learn to be rideable for anyone who rides her correctly. Since she's the type of horse to have her people and blow off all the rest, I figured now is a good time to start while there's the opportunity. (She does the same thing in her herd - has the buddies, and everyone else out there she couldn't care less if they drop dead or live in their stalls and never come back. Funny redhead.)

My trainer would NOT let someone else ride my horse without permission, and he has had me on other people's horses, too, but they knew I would be before I did. Some places aren't so open about it all, but if you're at a big farm with more horses than the trainer can ride in a day, you have to ask or expect it...
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

1 members found this post helpful.

for us, a lot depends on the situation. for example, if it's a kid or beginner's horse, ill have my kid do lessons on it, in addition to me, so the horse gets used to more of that kind of ride.
    Different Times Equestrian Ventures at Hidden Spring Ranch
    www.DifferentTimesEquestrianVentures.com

Depends on the program, and what you agree upon with head trainer.

Will the horse be in full-training with a show barn? How often will the head trainer be around? What about the assistant? Who will ride the horse when both are away at a show? Some things to think about

It really depends.

When my mare was in full dressage training, the assistant did the vast majority of the rides. It didn't bother me, because she was competent and my mare was not being aimed for the upper levels, more having holes in her basic training fixed. Trainer had a bad back and was trying to ride one or maybe two horses per day; needless to say these rides were reserved for the upper level horses and I would not have expected anything different. She did get on my mare a couple of times but said the mare gave her vertigo (trainer was used to ginormous WBs, not little sports-car Morgans.) She supervised most of the training rides.
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by 1998 Morgan mare Mythic Feronia; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

When my horse is in training, the head trainer rides and teaches.
    There are different packages depending on who is doing the work.

Thank you all for your info on your situations. As I thought I have some things to discuss with our trainer.

When I was an assistant, the trainers did bill the same if I rode the horse as if they did. Usually they only had me ride the horse if I could actually get the job done (I was really good at flat work). Clients could see the improvements even with me on the horse, so they were fine with it. If it was a jumping day, then I would jump the horse in a lesson, and the trainer might get on to fine tune some things. Again, this was at full price.

The horses that needed a "pro" school, got a pro school.

I think it came down to the clients having trust in those trainers so it all worked out. They also didn't charge much for a training ride.
    Freeing worms from cans everywhere!

there are two trainers at my barn. if you are in training with the event trainer, only she rides your horse. if you are in training with the h/j trainer, you may have her or her assistant ride - it's most the trainer though to my understanding. my gelding is with the event trainer so i don't have this issue/concern.

Look at the barn aisle.

If there are more horses on the aisle than the trainer could possibly ride in a day, plus teach lessons, plus do everything else, somebody has to ride them.
    There is no one client that is going to be the center of the trainer's attention all of the time -everybody has to SHARE.

The price is factored in to the fact that more people are riding and more horses are bringing in revenue. If the trainer can only keep as many horses as they can personally ride 4 x per week plus teach (let's say 15 on a rotating schedule), then those 15 horses are going to have to carry the expenses of the whole farm. Trainer only programs will therefore be significantly more expensive than ones where assistants help bring in extra income. So you are paying LESS for your trainer rides because of the assistants, not overpaying for the assistants. Probably your pro ride fee is significantly lower than an hour of your trainer's time in a lesson, right?

Many assistants in high quality programs have been beautifully trained by the trainer in the high quality program. They ride great. A lot of the time they ride quite similar to and under the direction the trainer, and very often still much better than the owner of the horse, so the horse is still getting a good school, and the trainer is still implementing their program.

Also there is more time for long slow distance work, hacking out, more relaxed warm up and cool down, less pressure to get many done in a short time. All things horses benefit from.

Ultimately the horse is the judge of the program. If he is sound, happy in his work, going well for the owner and doing well at the shows...

...the program is working.
    Last edited by meupatdoes; Feb. 5, 2015 at 06:58 PM.

3 members found this post helpful.