The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

I just phoned Mrs. Judith Werner from the AHSA rules committee, she is the chair person, and she said that even though it doesn't say specifically that earplugs are not allowed, but that they ARE considered an artificial aid (or whatever the term in the rule book uses, can't think of the EXACT phrase she used but it was the one in the rulebook) Anyway, she said her straight out answer was that they were illegal. So there you have it. If you don't believe me e-mail or call her and she will tell you the same thing.
    Is minic a rinne bromach gioblach capall cumasach
    An awkward colt often becomes a beautiful horse .

I just phoned Mrs. Judith Werner from the AHSA rules committee, she is the chair person, and she said that even though it doesn't say specifically that earplugs are not allowed, but that they ARE considered an artificial aid (or whatever the term in the rule book uses, can't think of the EXACT phrase she used but it was the one in the rulebook) Anyway, she said her straight out answer was that they were illegal. So there you have it. If you don't believe me e-mail or call her and she will tell you the same thing.

I still don't see what the big deal is. Why should they be illegal?

Wow! You got through to an official working at the AHSA at 10:00 PM on a Saturday night? Seriously, if our officials are answering phone calls late Saturday night, that's great!

I called her directly on the phone number listed on the AHSA website right by her name, she was very nice and very helpful!

Wow, then just about every horse that shows here in Texas has been illegal!!

It's great that you were able to reach her so easily! Did you mention that the question was specific to hunters/jumpers?

If she was correct, then I won't use them. No biggy. They are so benign, that I'm surprised they are illegal. But then, as a government employee, I understand that regulations don't always make sense! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

I agree, Devildog, if the AHSA defines artificial devices, and if ear plugs fall under that definition, then they fall under the regulation that limits or disallows the use of artificial devices. If it's silly that they're disallowed, then there could be a move to make an exception for ear plugs specifically.

Holy Cow!!! What a kettle of worms this opens!! Going back to last year, how many HOTY hunters (national and zone and local) have or had earplugs in??? Do they redistribute?? Set them all down??? Hold a special hearing??? This one takes the cake as far as the AHSA..This one phone consult just upended the awards for..how many years??....Is the rule retroactive or will it just affect the horses "caught" from today forward??? What a mess this could make if someone were persistant enough to persue it!
    The thing about smart people, is they look like crazy people, to dumb people.

Hey, I am just telling you guys what I was told, and no, this isn't just ONE phone call, another person had called and recived the same answer. The problem lies in that the judges and stewards allow this to happen, and for some reason 99% of the hunter world had no clue that it was illegal. To me, it makes sense that it is illegal and just because it is not specifically stated does not make it legal. You can't expect them to go and list EVERY SINGLE LITTLE device because the list could go on forever and it would have to be updated frequently! So they made a general rule which covers well, EVERYTHING ARTIFICIAL. I would not hesitate to point it out to a judge or steward either. So now it becomes a moral issue. If the judges don't knock you down for it yet it IS considered illegal, and now I know for a FACT that it is, are you still going to do it? Or will you be the honest one that says that it's not legal so I am not going to use them? Bertie, I commend you for doing the right thing and I hope others will follow!

Here is the rule from the AHSA general rule book discussing artificial appliances:

All artificial appliances other than those permitted in division rules are prohibited (Exception: Reining Division). Bandages, tailsets, chains or other training devices are prohibited in the ring in Breeding/Halter classes. All artificial appliances other than those permitted in division rules are prohibited (Exception: Reining and Jumper Divisions)

The following is the rules for the Hunter Division:

CHAPTER IV. ATTIRE, TACK AND EQUIPMENT.

Article 2417. Tack.

1. Regulation snaffles, pelhams and full bridles, all with cavesson nose bands, are recommended. A judge may penalize for non-conventional types of bits or
    nosebands.

2. Competitors may be refused an award unless they return to the ring for conformation or soundness with the same complete bridle in which they have performed.

3. Martingales of any type are prohibited in Under Saddle, hack and tie-breaking classes.

Article 2418. Equipment. Light pads and bar shoes are permissible, however, bar shoes indicate a weakness and in Conformation classes a judge may penalize accordingly. Boots, wraps and bandages are prohibited.
    In the case of inclement weather competition
    management may permit the use of bell boots.

No where in ANY of the Hunter rules does it state that ear plugs are permissable. But the general rules state that NO artificial appliances (hey, I got it this time!) unless Specifically stated by the discipline may be used.

[This message has been edited by devildog20 (edited 04-16-2000).]

I am not trying to start trouble but I think there is a lot more illegal artificial aid issues going on in the hunters than EARPLUGS!!

I see almost every horse with them, tack shops now sell them and I think alot of horses still hear through them...

I am suprised that so many people have an issue with this...If it specified as illegal, well that is different. Is it actually specified?

Personally, I really do not think that someone who has a horse with them in, versus myself who might not be "using", has enough of a competitive advantage over me by using earplugs. This is my opinion.

When I called she told me that ear plugs fall under artificial appliances. Read the rules above, it states that ALL artificial appliances are illegal, no, it does not SPECIFICALLY say ear plugs, but they fall under the general rule. Pot is illegal yet stores sell bongs. Just because a place sells something does not mean that it can be legally used at a recognized show. There are a great many things that need to be changed in the horse show world, and now many of you found out quite by accident that something that was common place is not legal. The truth is, no matter how you look at it, no matter how small, insignificant or dumb it may seem, it's not legal. Like I said, now it HAS become a moral issue. Stupid or not, it comes down to who is truly honest and who is not.

And just because you see almost everyone with them does not make it right. Yes, there are a lot more serious issues as well, and we have attacked at them, and we try our hardest to correct them, as seen with the weight issues and many of the rule changes that Snowbird and Pwynn have worked so hard on. But funny when it hits so close to home, everyone gets on the defensive!

I'm thinking that maybe Mrs. Werner could have made a mistake. I haven't found a definition of artificial appliances yet, and it's possible that ear plugs are not an artificial appliance. (I mean, an "appliance"???)

In the Dressage regulations, we can assume that artificial appliances, as shown in Devildog's cite from the "General" section of the rules, are prohibited. In addition, under "Dressage" we have: "6. Martingales, bit guards, any kind of gadgets (such as bearing, side, running, balancing reins, tongue tied down, etc.), any kind of boots (including "easy-boots") or bandages (including tail bandages)and any form of blinkers, ear muffs or plugs, nose covers, seat covers, hoods are, under penalty of elimination, strictly forbidden...."

If ear plugs are considered appliances why would they be listed again, along with martingales, bit guards and any kind of "gadgets" that are prohibited? I assume this section is listing items that are prohibited in addition to "appliances".

Don't throw those ear bunnies out yet!!

[This message has been edited by Bertie (edited 04-16-2000).]

Have you read the rest of the dressage rules yet LOL!! They are WAY more in-depth and specific than any of the other disciplines rules. Just because ear plugs are not specifically mentioned does not make them legal. Ask for yourself, I have also e-mailed the other committee members on this issue and I will tell you what they respond with. But so far myself and another person have contacted the AHSA DIRECTLY and gotten the same answer. If you REALLY question it that much then please call or write them yourselves. I don't understand why no one else has done this. Especially the people that are just as for ear plugs as I am against them and defend them so whole heartedly. Please, ask them. If you really want to know, ask. What can it hurt?

You're right, Devildog. I did email the question to Mrs. Werner. Not that I don't believe you!!! I DO! But I want to get the answer in writing from her, after she's had a chance to check the regs.

(I do this at work all the time...It drives people crazy, but it sure helps to clear up fuzzy issues!)

[This message has been edited by Bertie (edited 04-16-2000).]

When I talked to her she said she had looked over the regs! I am glad you are asking for yourself though! Good luck LOL! And thanks for believing me! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

OMG -- This thread is a riot!--- LOL, I want to clear up a "fuzzy" situation....Jumphigh realizes that this could be another sad day in the hunter jumper world..- This could take down some of those big names that survived drug scandals, etc....all because of EARBUNNIES! Justbay isn't "using", thank goodness. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]