The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Could you show in the A rated hunters in this show jacket?

Bought this on ebay for a great price for DD who is showing mediums this year, as I wanted a comfortable and washable softshell show coat and couldn't afford the pricey "cool brand" ones, especially as she outgrows them every year. It arrived and it's gorgeous! BUT is it OK to show in the A rated hunters or would it be laughed at or considered too "jumper". Is it tacky?

I'm personally not a slave to fashion and I think it looks lovely on her. She wears the "in" euroseat TS breeches and tall boots and a white shirt. If it were me personally I wouldn't care what anyone thought, but kids can be so mean. So I'm looking for other's opinions please

This is the jacket and it's navy blue:

http://www.equestriancollections.com...upcode=JP80590
    Last edited by alterchicken; May. 8, 2012 at 10:00 PM.

Personal preference only, but I'd swap out the buttons for plain black or navy ones.

If your daughter needs a little bit of bling to get noticed in a crowd of plain blue navy show coats on shiny bay horses it's just the thing!
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

Unless she belongs to a hunt and has earned her colors of that hunt that just happen to be tan..... I wouldn't.

I also believe that the brass buttons are something only masters of a hunt should wear, so I would not say that it's appropriate at all for a junior riding a pony.

IMHO I say in the jumpers it is fine and they do look like a nice jacket but even swapping out the buttons I would give it a pass in the hunters.

Personally, I wouldn't, but if your daughter and her pony are pretty flawless, she might be able to pull it off.

I wouldn't.

But for that price, I WOULD try to modify it. I'd swap out the buttons and have a seamstress replace the collar, or cover it with a similar navy fabric. The piping on the pockets wouldn't bother me very much if the rest was a little less exciting!

Quote Originally Posted by AmmyByNature View Post
    I wouldn't.

But for that price, I WOULD try to modify it. I'd swap out the buttons and have a seamstress replace the collar, or cover it with a similar navy fabric. The piping on the pockets wouldn't bother me very much if the rest was a little less exciting!
    Hey, that sounds like a great idea, never thought of that! I got it brand new for $65 and the quality and fabric are lovely...so maybe I'll find some buttons and see what can be done about the tan collar. Is the piping OK though? I thought piping was "in" now, or at least acceptable, with many of the softshell jackets? And aren't velvet type collars seen again now?

I've seen some white piping of black coats in the big eq, and colored collars in the jumper ring, and I had a brown coat with blue piping, but I only wore it in the jumper ring.

The new softshell jackets are definitely bringing in some "new" stuff even in the hunter ring, but I wouldn't personally go in the hunter ring with metal buttons and a contrasting collar.

But if the buttons and collar were neutral I don't think I'd be very bothered with the little piping on the pockets.

Quote Originally Posted by horsegal301 View Post
    Unless she belongs to a hunt and has earned her colors of that hunt that just happen to be tan..... I wouldn't.

I also believe that the brass buttons are something only masters of a hunt should wear, so I would not say that it's appropriate at all for a junior riding a pony.
    Yea but you would also never see a ten year old wearing a shadbelly fox hunting -- and yet thats standard attire for classics. Hunter show ring does not really mirror field hunting.

The jacket doesn't bother me, imo. And if your DD puts in a strong round wearing that jacket I don't think it will affect her. BUT if she blows a lead or chips, she will be easily identifiable by the jacket. Personally I would have the collar covered with a navy material, but the buttons or the pockets don't stand out too much to me.

I actually quite like most of the jacket. The piping and the collar do not bother me, but I would certainly replace the big brass buttons.

The cream collared collar is no more distracting then huge bouncing bows...

Nice find.. share pics after you've done your modifications.
    Last edited by mrsbradbury; May. 9, 2012 at 09:08 AM. Reason: personal preference: I don't like anything brass.

Great looking coat.

I love it. For what it's worth, I saw a hunter from WEF (circuit champion I think) wearing a coat with silver buttons and darker collar (same color though). I think it's only a matter of time before we start seeing these coats in the hunters. After all, in the 70's we all wore coats with gold buttons and velvet collars. They are coming back!

There is an entire IEA eq team that wears that coat... I personally love it. The tan collar, however, does kind of blend with the rider's shirt collar from further away, which can sometimes look a little odd. Just so you know
    Founder, Higher Standards Leather Care Addicts Anonymous
    Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

Personally I wouldn't change anything, either you embrace that style or not, changing the buttons would look weird with style of the jacket.

Does your daughter do equitation, if so I would save the jacket for those classes and find a more conservative one for the hunters, heck it was $65.

We have a great tack exchange here FYI, you might be able to call them and see what they have in your daughter size, very knowledgeable staff.

This is the first I've seen that there is a "Debbie Stephens" line, and now I am picturing a bunch of Debbie look a likes walking around (it really is modeled after her actual coat, not just a name).....how strange.

As for appropriateness.....I'm not really one to ask about the hunters, but I am leaning towards too flashy. But if she just rides in the hunters once in awhile (catch ride, eq didn't fill, young horse mileage or something to that effect) I probably wouldn't worry. If the hunters are her regular division, I would probably invest in the modifications or a second bargain coat.

Quote Originally Posted by Rel6 View Post
    Yea but you would also never see a ten year old wearing a shadbelly fox hunting -- and yet thats standard attire for classics. Hunter show ring does not really mirror field hunting.

And they all look ridiculous in them, especially combined with low rise breeches and flying stock ties (and garters).

Hunter ring attire doesn't mirror foxhunting, that's obvious enough, but it should respect it. It's disrespectful to wear colors of a hunt that you don't belong to or haven't earned.

They make that coat in black on black and navy on navy

Quote Originally Posted by horsegal301 View Post
    And they all look ridiculous in them, especially combined with low rise breeches and flying stock ties (and garters).
    I feared it was just me.

This is the jacket I was referring to.

http://www.equestriancollections.com...upcode=JP80484

Fair warning - it has a burberry type plaid lining that I did not like for eq

I would go with something more conservative.

Quote Originally Posted by sarcam02 View Post
    This is the jacket I was referring to.

http://www.equestriancollections.com...upcode=JP80484

Fair warning - it has a burberry type plaid lining that I did not like for eq
    That looks nice - do you have any idea how the sizes run?