The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Tick repellent safe for mom & pups?

With the crazy weather we've had the past year, ticks are at an all time high around here!
    I've looked at the usual repellents I might use, but none state they are safe for use on or around puppies.
    I have four GSD pups(5 1/2wks old) & I have already picked a handful off of them. I haven't treated their mom either as I was worried about them nursing.
    Is there something I can use to treat the pups & my yard/woods that would be safe?

I just bought some Sentry Natural Defense.....its made from oils such as peppermint, lemon, cinnamon and a few others. No pesiticides at all. I cant tell you if it works against fleas/ticks yet but I can tell you that you can REALLY smell it. My whole house smelled like and herbal plantation on the first day.....and now 3 days later my house no longer smells but the dogs still have a light scent that I think smells nice. I usually use Advantix but my girl might be in whelp, so I dont want to chance anything toxic.

At any rate, its cheap enough....if I dont continue to use it on the dogs, I may just put a drop here and there....like in my car.....for an air freshener

On the Sentry Natural Defense FAQ page, it states that "The SENTRY Natural Defense® products can be used as early as 12 weeks of age." http://www.sentrynatural.com/faq.html

I wouldn't risk using this product around puppies or bitches about to whelp. Just because it's natural / herbal doesn't mean it isn't toxic to young pups.

However, with monthly dosing, Revolution® (selamectin) controls American dog tick (D. variabilis) infestations in dogs and puppies as young as 6 weeks. Ask your veterinarian about Revolution; it's Rx only.

Frontline can be used in pups at 8 weeks of age.

I would think that applying a product labelled for outdoor use would be fine as long as you didn't treat any area the puppies are exposed to (which likely defeats the purpose of using such a product!).
    Last edited by tarynls; May. 8, 2012 at 09:33 PM. Reason: added info