The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Thumbs down TX Racing Commission

Even though I don't currently have a horse running, I keep my owner's license UTD "just in case". I renewed online then got the letter that I already knew was going to piss me off big time. "In order to complete your licensing application you must complete your finger print card". Every 3 yrs. they require you to submit a new set of finger prints for $44.20. Like my fingerprints have changed since birth Being in a really crappy mood anyway I called TRC in Austin and asked why I had to do this since finger prints don't change (unless, of course, they are sugically altered ). Her reply was "it's the rule". That's your answer ....REALLY!!!!!!????? Let me repeat myself "I'm sure you realize that finger prints don't change, and you already have mine so AGAIN, why do you need this?". "Well, the FBI requires it." Ok, I'm pretty sure the FBI knows that finger prints don't change, and if I have a criminal record that's easily accessible online.

Ok, that's my rant for the day

At least the day wasn't a total loss. On the way home from the track I went shopping and found a really cute Derby hat
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

Congrats on your hat!!!!! Haha, I haven't really found a racing comission I like yet...

"Pat the horse; kick yourself" - Carl Hester

But just think of all the extra money they make by having everyone send in new prints!
    Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

Maybe you ought to consider directing your anger to the FBI, not the racing commission?

It was many years ago, but I had to get fingerprinted for my trainer's license.

I heard they will now demand the same for every time you have to renew a driver's license.

If it's an FBI requirement, how come all states don't demand fingerprints to get a license?

I'm trying to sort out which states we had to give fingerprints for: definitely IL, NY and NJ...possibly VA and CA? But we've also raced in at least 3-4 other states (like KY) that don't require them.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonesta View Post
    But just think of all the extra money they make by having everyone send in new prints!
    Exactly. I don't object to the fingerprinting per se, but to have to keep paying for something they already have is kin to a scam.
    Quote Originally Posted by LaurieB View Post
    If it's an FBI requirement, how come all states don't demand fingerprints to get a license?

I'm trying to sort out which states we had to give fingerprints for: definitely IL, NY and NJ...possibly VA and CA? But we've also raced in at least 3-4 other states (like KY) that don't require them.
    I've also been licensed in OK and LA, and they didn't require it.

Yeah Bluey my next call should be to the FBI, even though it was several minutes into the conversation before the woman at the TRC came up with that bit of information.

Maybe they wanna make sure you are who you say you are and nobody suddenly stole your identity?

Wild guess. But they could really have handled that better...
    Clancy 17hh chestnut Dutch WB, '99. Owned and loved since '04 and still goin'!

Ask your state representative to investigate the intent behind this law. He will have aides who are very good at this sort of thing.
    Yes, I know how to spell. I'm using freespeling!

freespeling

if the $44.20 is paid to the state - then there's your answer -- state is hurting for $s
    Nothing says "I love you" like a tractor. (Clydejumper)

The reports states, “Elizabeth reported that she accidently put down this pony, ........, at the show.”

Quote Originally Posted by altjaeger View Post
    Ask your state representative to investigate the intent behind this law. He will have aides who are very good at this sort of thing.
    Good idea!

Quote Originally Posted by Toadie's mom View Post

I've also been licensed in OK and LA, and they didn't require it.
    When I renewed my license in OK this spring they required a new fingerprint card. They would not accept my TX fingerprints. They said it was an FBI rule.