The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 3 of 41 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 804
  1. #41
    Join Date
    Jul. 19, 2007
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    10,447

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SherwoodAcres View Post
    I love the look of Jethro! But $3000?! You've got to be kidding right?! I often wonder when looking at organizations like this one and CANTER how the trainers think their prices are valid? Everyone's talking about how bad this economy is, horses are being abandoned and starved, and they want that price tag for a track trained tb that may have issues or soundness probs?! Look at all the classified sites, there are retrained tbs with show miles going for less. It's funny too how the price goes higher if the horse is tall or nicely colored/marked. If they really want to find them homes, price them realistically.
    Heh. When idiots aren't paying five figures for warmblood weanlings they're going to waste YEARS on while the horse just eats his head off and grows, I'll find $3k for a sound, attractive, trained horse who can already do all the important horse things (load, clip, bathe, tie, take a rider, etc) unreasonable. The pricey ones are the ones with nice markings/colors, lightly raced/unraced, and usually tall.



  2. #42
    Join Date
    Sep. 29, 2011
    Location
    Owego, NY
    Posts
    134

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SherwoodAcres View Post
    I love the look of Jethro! But $3000?! You've got to be kidding right?! I often wonder when looking at organizations like this one and CANTER how the trainers think their prices are valid? Everyone's talking about how bad this economy is, horses are being abandoned and starved, and they want that price tag for a track trained tb that may have issues or soundness probs?! Look at all the classified sites, there are retrained tbs with show miles going for less. It's funny too how the price goes higher if the horse is tall or nicely colored/marked. If they really want to find them homes, price them realistically.
    While I can't say anything about CANTERs prices, some of the ones listed at the track are pricey probably because although the trainers want to sell them, they would like to have them during the season so they can potentially race them more. If they don't get snapped up at this price I'm sure they'll be lowered closer to the end of the season. Also, the price listed is not always what you pay, there's plenty of haggling to be done and cash is always a game changer.
    My OTTB and Finger Lakes Finest, Sunny Boy 'n Ben E and the old man, Salvator.

    Check out Second Chance Thoroughbreds and like us on Facebook!



  3. #43
    Join Date
    Jun. 19, 2009
    Posts
    732

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iluvponies View Post
    Someone should get Futile Attempt. 5, 16.1, not raced, quiet and clean legged, only $500?
    She'll fill out and be nice. So what if she has a gelding head
    Agreed. I would love to see her with some new muscle and filled out-bet she'll be a cutie. And I would seriously love to hug that head. I think she's adorable! (in her own special way )
    the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique



  4. #44
    Join Date
    Jul. 10, 2006
    Location
    Far far away
    Posts
    1,999

    Default

    I'm glad people are noticing Futile Attempt. She's a definite sweetheart. Make sure to watch her video, she has a nice way of going.

    And speaking of videos, most of them are up so if you missed them check them out!



  5. #45
    Join Date
    Feb. 4, 2004
    Posts
    2,635

    Default

    In addition to wanting Sandy Castle I am adding Madeline's Melody to my list. I hope someone buys them--both beautiful!



  6. #46
    Join Date
    Nov. 26, 2009
    Location
    Canton, GA
    Posts
    56

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SherwoodAcres View Post
    I love the look of Jethro! But $3000?! You've got to be kidding right?! I often wonder when looking at organizations like this one and CANTER how the trainers think their prices are valid? Everyone's talking about how bad this economy is, horses are being abandoned and starved, and they want that price tag for a track trained tb that may have issues or soundness probs?! Look at all the classified sites, there are retrained tbs with show miles going for less. It's funny too how the price goes higher if the horse is tall or nicely colored/marked. If they really want to find them homes, price them realistically.
    Though I am much different than the trainers who "market" these horses through sites such as Fingerlakes Finest and CANTER in that I pay to ship, shoe, medically evaluate, repair/rehabilitate, and ultimately begin the retraining of the retirees who come through my program, I take the side of the trainers in how they price the "better" of their horses.

    At the end of the day, most of us look for very similar characteristics in the horses that we would like to own. Size, color, sex, and soundness sell... regardless of who the seller is. A trainer who has a horse who has repeatedly shown that it's incapable of bringing home even a modest paycheck in a lower level race, but at the same time has all of the wow factors that we "civilian" shoppers look for, by all rights should attempt to capitalize on his assets. Perhaps if he's lucky, he'll be able to recoup some of the expense of that horse. In many cases, owners of unproductive runners dump them on their trainers who are then left holding the feed bag (and all other costs as well) on a horse that isn't going to earn them a dime.

    The little guys: the otherwise-perfect smallish horses, the ones with jewelry that makes them less appealing (big ankles, an old bow, chips, etc.), and the like, should be marketed for less because sadly, their afflictions (even if it's that ever avoided chestnut coat in an otherwise perfect mare) make them less valuable to most people. I have the same problem on my end--and if I priced every 15 hand mare who was less than perfect at the same price of a 17 hand gelding only retraining away from the start of an upper level performance career, I'd never have enough money in the kitty to bring in new horses because the ones who fund the program (those amazing, big Jethro's of the world) would be eaten up by the cost of the Zen Powers who need time if they're lucky, and often times significant rehabilitation or even surgery to send them on their way to being productive members of equine society.

    If we shifted the conversation from horses today to car dealerships a couple years ago when all were going to pot with the fall of the economy, the dealers that had Hummers and Cadilacs would have been dropping their prices to compete with Hyundai and Subaru. If the value is there, then so, too, is someone will realize it and capitalize on it. Quality ultimately speaks for itself and demands a higher price, even when many of us question the real value.

    Shannon said it perfectly--there's plenty of room to haggle, and the later in the season we go, when perhaps there is a little bit more of a "dime a dozen" opportunity, prices become negotiable and ultimately, cash is always king. In the mean time, and with the uber nice horses almost always through to the season's end, the trainers with nice horses tend to price them just like this because someone with a trained eye for a quality horse is willing to put that money out there to have a nicely started horse who already has the basics (and many times much much more) over a horse that's been listed on a public site that may have shifted from home to home over the last few years with no insight to its racing history other than what can be gleaned from Equibase or a Google search. When horses come from the source, it's so much easier to develop a game plan since you already have the nuts and bolts of what your getting right at your fingertips.
    A Pinch of Luck, Inc.
    Taking Thoroughbreds from the Track to the Trail and Beyond
    www.apinchofluck.com



  7. #47
    Join Date
    Mar. 22, 2004
    Location
    Ct
    Posts
    2,646

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by A Pinch of Luck View Post
    Though I am much different than the trainers who "market" these horses through sites such as Fingerlakes Finest and CANTER in that I pay to ship, shoe, medically evaluate, repair/rehabilitate, and ultimately begin the retraining of the retirees who come through my program, I take the side of the trainers in how they price the "better" of their horses.

    At the end of the day, most of us look for very similar characteristics in the horses that we would like to own. Size, color, sex, and soundness sell... regardless of who the seller is. A trainer who has a horse who has repeatedly shown that it's incapable of bringing home even a modest paycheck in a lower level race, but at the same time has all of the wow factors that we "civilian" shoppers look for, by all rights should attempt to capitalize on his assets. Perhaps if he's lucky, he'll be able to recoup some of the expense of that horse. In many cases, owners of unproductive runners dump them on their trainers who are then left holding the feed bag (and all other costs as well) on a horse that isn't going to earn them a dime.

    The little guys: the otherwise-perfect smallish horses, the ones with jewelry that makes them less appealing (big ankles, an old bow, chips, etc.), and the like, should be marketed for less because sadly, their afflictions (even if it's that ever avoided chestnut coat in an otherwise perfect mare) make them less valuable to most people. I have the same problem on my end--and if I priced every 15 hand mare who was less than perfect at the same price of a 17 hand gelding only retraining away from the start of an upper level performance career, I'd never have enough money in the kitty to bring in new horses because the ones who fund the program (those amazing, big Jethro's of the world) would be eaten up by the cost of the Zen Powers who need time if they're lucky, and often times significant rehabilitation or even surgery to send them on their way to being productive members of equine society.

    If we shifted the conversation from horses today to car dealerships a couple years ago when all were going to pot with the fall of the economy, the dealers that had Hummers and Cadilacs would have been dropping their prices to compete with Hyundai and Subaru. If the value is there, then so, too, is someone will realize it and capitalize on it. Quality ultimately speaks for itself and demands a higher price, even when many of us question the real value.

    Shannon said it perfectly--there's plenty of room to haggle, and the later in the season we go, when perhaps there is a little bit more of a "dime a dozen" opportunity, prices become negotiable and ultimately, cash is always king. In the mean time, and with the uber nice horses almost always through to the season's end, the trainers with nice horses tend to price them just like this because someone with a trained eye for a quality horse is willing to put that money out there to have a nicely started horse who already has the basics (and many times much much more) over a horse that's been listed on a public site that may have shifted from home to home over the last few years with no insight to its racing history other than what can be gleaned from Equibase or a Google search. When horses come from the source, it's so much easier to develop a game plan since you already have the nuts and bolts of what your getting right at your fingertips.
    Well said



  8. #48
    Join Date
    Aug. 9, 2011
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Also, I took another look through the pedigrees, and Madeline's Melody is also half-sister to Unhook My Sarong (and a champion hunter/jumper from my barn Sanctum)



  9. #49
    Join Date
    Aug. 14, 2011
    Posts
    43

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    Another person loving Florida Quaker. Talk about the 'look of eagles'. She looks like a wise girl.
    I hope someone snaps her up soon. I had the chance to meet her when I picked up Gracie.



  10. #50
    Join Date
    Jan. 30, 2010
    Posts
    487

    Default

    Jethro is lovely. $3000 is high though, especially for a 9-y/o w/ a tendon injury(however minor).
    I also like Run Mikey Run. Majestic One looks fantastic ...but $4000.

    ahh if only I had the time/money for another horse.



  11. #51
    Join Date
    Jul. 10, 2006
    Location
    Far far away
    Posts
    1,999

    Default

    Remember Jethro's price is negotiable to the perfect home. They really love this horse so their expectations for "perfect" are pretty high.



  12. #52
    Join Date
    Jun. 7, 2002
    Posts
    3,859

    Default

    Wow! Some nice horses on that listing!

    *If* I needed another horse, I would pick, in order:

    Florida Quaker
    Magic Cocktail (even tho I usually only look at mares, this one caught my eye!)
    Unhook my Sarong.

    I like the smaller (15h - 15.3h) horses! They're just my size. Plus they're usually cheaper.
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!



  13. #53
    Join Date
    Aug. 6, 2008
    Posts
    121

    Default

    Someone snatched up Futile Attempt-she is listed as placed.



  14. #54
    Join Date
    Mar. 26, 2008
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    1,855

    Default

    Oh gosh...I admit to not knowing much of anything about conformation, bloodlines, or choosing OTTBs in general...but Magic Cocktail is ADORABLE! If I were ready to take the plunge on my next horse, I would be looking into him. I like how compact he looks.
    "Last time I picked your feet, you broke my toe!"



  15. #55
    Join Date
    Sep. 15, 2010
    Location
    Buffalo
    Posts
    392

    Default

    I'm glad to see all the really nice horses we have listed are getting notice and comment -- now let's find them great homes!
    On the price discussion, I have noticed that some of the FL trainers who really care about finding truly good homes, and who are in a position to afford to hang on to the horse until they find the right match tend to want us to list them on the high side. This keeps tire kickers or naive innocents or disreputables from taking up their time. But if you are serious and convince them you will be a very good home, the price is indeed negotiable, especially with cash.
    Others know they have a highly marketable horse with the right age, size, color, soundness, athleticism and temperament to warrant and get the higher price.
    Remember the beautiful grey filly from last season named Waylady? She had multiple buyers at her high listed price, first come first got her. Well for those of you who missed out, we just listed her younger unraced pretty grey full sister, Brideaway. An equally fine prospect and worth the higher asking price.
    But sound, sane and great prospects are also available for much, much less. We were informed that Futile Attempt was given away. We will try to find out more, and hope it will be a good home.
    If you like a horse, call and make an offer! And please, somebody great step up for Florida Quaker. This is one fine mare!



  16. #56
    Join Date
    Aug. 11, 2008
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    3,792

    Default

    I've tried calling the trainer a few times on FQ, and no call back. My trainer has since moved on to looking at a few other horses. She liked the looks of her, but also wanted something a little bigger, and with no communication from FQ's trainer, she gave up.

    I hope someone gets her soon. She's a really special looking mare.
    Lowly Farm Hand with Delusions of Barn Biddieom.
    Witherun Farm
    http://witherun-farm.blogspot.com/



  17. #57
    Join Date
    Dec. 4, 2009
    Posts
    348

    Default Bargain of the century!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by buffalo colleen View Post
    We were informed that Futile Attempt was given away.


    OMG! that mare screamed ground-covering-cross-country galloping stride & jump... and looks like she has the movement to catch the eye of dressage judges.

    If you do find out who stuck her thumb in the pie and pulled out a plum let us know!

    FF



  18. #58
    Join Date
    Aug. 14, 2011
    Posts
    43

    Default

    [QUOTE=Trevelyan96;6352815]I've tried calling the trainer a few times on FQ, and no call back. My trainer has since moved on to looking at a few other horses. She liked the looks of her, but also wanted something a little bigger, and with no communication from FQ's trainer, she gave up.

    It took me quite a while to hear back from Carol (1-2 days) when we corresponded - and she never answered the phone directly. I always had to leave a message and wait at least half the day for her to call back.



  19. #59
    Join Date
    Oct. 25, 2011
    Posts
    376

    Default

    Had to peek at Jethro--pretty good looking guy. I might add that the ones that are still that sound after years of racing are tough, tough, tough. If he vets, he's worth it. When a horse is a barn favorite, that's the one you want.



  20. #60
    Join Date
    Jul. 19, 2007
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    10,447

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mg View Post
    Oh gosh...I admit to not knowing much of anything about conformation, bloodlines, or choosing OTTBs in general...but Magic Cocktail is ADORABLE! If I were ready to take the plunge on my next horse, I would be looking into him. I like how compact he looks.
    He is a little cutie, isn't he? Sadly I'm only semi in the market and 'pasture sound and very easy to handle" are the priorities, but he certainly is cute....



Similar Threads

  1. Finger Lakes Trainer Listings Farewell
    By Louise in forum Off Course
    Replies: 70
    Last Post: Jun. 13, 2011, 12:20 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: Apr. 12, 2011, 11:31 AM
  3. Finger Lakes Finest - A Relist
    By Louise in forum Off Course
    Replies: 935
    Last Post: Mar. 23, 2011, 10:43 PM
  4. New trainer listings at Finger Lakes
    By FatDinah in forum Eventing
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Mar. 29, 2010, 11:22 AM
  5. Finger Lakes Finest June 6th - new lovelies!
    By maunder in forum Off Course
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: Jun. 15, 2009, 10:34 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •