The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Where there are only carousel horses to be had...

Default tredstep da vinci field boots? Other upper mid-range boots which come in tall?

Hi all,

I have a pair of Der-Daus which dropped WAY too much and are now too short (and have stretched and are too wide now also) so I need a new pair of tall boots. I show in eq as of now, so they need to fit well and look nice. I was wondering if anyone had opinions on the Tredstep Da Vinci field boots or the Ariat Crowne Pro ones? I've been known to wear through tall boots pretty quickly, and since even Der-Daus didn't work out for me, I'm hesitant to drop too much on my next pair of boots in search of perfection (though $500 isn't exactly spare change).

Thanks!
    “Don’t ask yourself what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive.” -Howard Thurman
    (}---{)

The Treadstone Tuscany comes in tall (20"), and are quite a nice boot. They're also cheaper than the Tredsteps, at about $350-$400

My parents purchased the Da Vinci boots for me for my birthday. They were beautiful and seemed to fit like custom out of the box. I didn't keep them though because I am too tall (5'10" with a 35" inseam). I was afraid that after they dropped that they would be just a smidgen too short. I ended up buying Ariat Monacos off ebay for an amazing deal (couldn't afford the typical $900 price tag). I personally would suggest the Ariat boots because they are just a little bit taller. You also might want to consider these: Middleburg Field boots. They have a 20" height and are pretty inexpensive, if price is a consideration. I believe they are listed for $199 in the newest Dover Sale catalog too. Cannot speak for their quality though.

Where there are only carousel horses to be had...

Thanks! How durable would you say they are? It took my 9 months to ride a 3x2" hole in a pair of low $-range Ariats....
    “Don’t ask yourself what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive.” -Howard Thurman
    (}---{)

The Tredsteps? or Monacos? I didn't end up riding in the Da Vinci but I would say both boots have very thin leather (Monaco leather is thinner than the Da Vinci leather) and felt immediately broken in. With that being said, I have to figure they will not last as long as a stiffer leather boot. I know a lot of people that have ruined their Monacos from riding in them regularly. I only ride in mine at shows and school at home in half chaps.

If you're willing to go up to about $650, you could do a pair of DeNiro Ottaviano's (SmartPak). They come in a huge range of calf widths and heights. I have a pair of the DeNiros and love them. The leather is beautiful, and compared to the Ariat Monacos and Quantum Crownes, much more substantial.

In terms of looking elegant and custom, they look a whole lot better than the Ariat Crownes. I had a pair of the Crownes as a backup in case the DeNiros didn't fit, and I sold them down the road. They were rather coarse by comparison, and the leather wasn't as nice. Plus the DeNiros are fully lined, which I really prefer. The DeNiros also haven't dropped very much, in my case about half an inch.

I tried a pair of the DaVinci's, but they were too short for me in the standard height, and at the time, I couldn't get a pair in the taller height. They're lovely, but they may not be tall enough for you.
    Why do I like most horses better than most people?

Seconding the DeNiros.. I love mine!