The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default How to encourage chewing

Any tips for encouraging a dog to chew on a given toy?

We have two mighty-jawed pups in the house. The pittie is happy to chew almost anything we give her (and usually not things we don't, although my boyfriend left the spare shift knob from his car within reach and apparently it looked ball-like enough that she decided it was fair game...O.o). But my senior dog, a probably-Boxer-and-Beagle mutt, is finnicky. He grew up with a retriever and learned from her to carry stuff around in his mouth, he enjoys a good tug and three-quarters of a fetch, but he's resisted actually chewing on every toy I've ever offered. He does love bully sticks, but goes through 'em at a rate that makes it prohibitive to offer them on a regular basis. (He's also a pancreatitis dog, so the fattier natural chews are right out.) Deer antlers were of no interest.

I've heard of boiling Nylabones or similar in broth to flavor them more strongly...has anyone had any luck with that (and is it actually safe)? Any other tips or tricks? Or should I just keep saving my pennies for the bully sticks and chalk it up to old dog gets what old dog wants?

I have a chewer who can destroy even the black bee hive shaped kongs. I feel your pain!

Here are the things that survive in my house:

Cuz's. But I perform "surgery" on them before I give them to the dogs--I cut off the legs/feet else they'll get chewed off and I don't need another obstruction.

Nylabones. The hard opaque ones regular ones, not the clear gel ones. If your dog isn't hip to the nylabone, you can boil chicken broth, remove from heat and THEN put your nylabone in there to soak. Don't "boil" your nylabone. Yes, have done this before.

Kong balls.

I do get other soft toys and such that they can play with when I am supervising but those get put away when I'm not right there. We call these "lovies" and they do survive if I pay attention.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

why do you want your dog to chew on inedible items like nylabones? In my opinion, toys are for playing with, and food is for eating, and if it's not digestible, you don't want your dog to try to eat it. Plastic nylabones aren't safe- they have caused intestinal blocks in many a dog.
    The only other reasons for chewing are to clean teeth, and for that purpose I strongly suggest offering as part of the dog's diet (namely, you may need to cut back a little on other foods) a raw chicken wing two or three times a week. If the dog can't have chicken, things like a raw meaty pork or beef rib, or an oxtail, or a meaty neck bone, can be used. Just make sure it's not cooked, because cooked bones are unsafe.
    If your dog is bored and you're trying to occupy the dog, you can try feeding the dog it's meals out of a variety of toys that make mealtime more fun; and you also try to engage the dog by doing more fun things with the dog so the dog just wants to nap when you leave the dog alone.

Did you read the part where her dog has had pancreatitis? Giving the dog any of the meat items you mentioned would send many a pancreatitis prone dog into another episode.

I've never heard of an appropriately sized Nylabone causing an obstruction. If one does not toss them away once the ends are worn, I guess you could swallow it. But by design, you don't get obstruction sized chunks of nylabone coming off.

My non-chewer likes Antlers. If he is reticent, buy the ones that are cut in half lengthwise to expose the marrow.

The chewing is for entertainment and energy-venting purposes, yes, and because he likes it. Without going into his whole history, he has some physical stuff that limits his exercise capabilities. I also have an adolescent pit - trust me, I am familiar with the concept of engaging the dog and wearing him out! LOL

He does eat his meals out of Kongs.

Thank you folks for the suggestions so far!

my pittie/boxer/everythingunderthesun mutt likes the Galieo nylabone ONLY. He will not touch the other ones, he seems to know that they will not hold up to his monster choppers.

He will only touch a kong if I stuff it with PB other wise it just sits there.

He also likes the Orca brand chew toys. They have a ball (a bit larger than a tennis ball) that he LOVES I have not seen it in a while, I will have to check amazon.

He goes though bullie sticks like they are pixie sticks, and I have tried antlers and it was a no go, although I may try again with a 'fresher' looking one and not as big.

and yes, nylabone does pass, the little teeny tiny bits they do ingest pass though, I picking up after him and I can see it.
    When the nylabone becomes a shank, (a lethal piece of plastic fit enough for killing someone or do some damage, it gets tossed. )

Quote Originally Posted by MunchingonHay View Post
    When the nylabone becomes a shank, (a lethal piece of plastic fit enough for killing someone or do some damage, it gets tossed. )
    Exactly.

Plus one more note of caution: Don't step on a chewed nylabone in your bare feet on the stairs in the dark of a winter's morning with a cup of hot coffee in your hand.

Default Ditto this

Quote Originally Posted by IFG View Post
    My non-chewer likes Antlers. If he is reticent, buy the ones that are cut in half lengthwise to expose the marrow.

I think it makes me feel good to see my old man chewing on a bone but he really just shrugs his shoulders at chewing for fun. (unless it is someELSE's bone).

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRoo View Post
    Exactly.

Plus one more note of caution: Don't step on a chewed nylabone in your bare feet on the stairs in the dark of a winter's morning with a cup of hot coffee in your hand.

OH MY!! I do this ALL THE TIME!! then I get mad and kick it, but it does not slide on the carpet because of the little prickly bits and then I end up STUMPING MY TOE !! as well as spilling coffee/yelling at the cat/generally getting angry at anyone within 10 feet of me.

I love my dog, I really, really do!

one more note of caution: Don't step on a chewed nylabone in your bare feet on the stairs in the dark of a winter's morning with a cup of hot coffee in your hand.
    SISTA SOREFOOT! Stepped on one once with clogs on and sprained my ankle. I should really retire the clogs. They aren't kind to me.
    When someone shows you who they are, BELIEVE THEM.

Exactly.

been there, done that and broke ankle doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by Blacklabs View Post
    been there, done that and broke ankle doing so.

I am sorry I am laughing but I though I was spchuel by falling down a horse trailer ramp and braking my ankle, you take the cake!

Quote Originally Posted by MunchingonHay View Post
    I am sorry I am laughing but I though I was spchuel by falling down a horse trailer ramp and braking my ankle, you take the cake!
    I'm ashamed to tell you I have did it twice, broke the right and then the left. Two different houses.

Aren't labs wonderful!!!!