The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct. 13, 2003
    Posts
    3,677

    Default Yesterdays Blue Grass Stakes.

    Congrats to Dullahan. He looked great.

    What is in Dr. Hansens brain? My thinking, is that no way, would I dye a horse, esp. of that caliber, - what if he reacts to the dye?

    Question: Is it "legal" to braid your racing horse's mane with colored pom-poms? Somehow, I'm expecting this next (unless he hopefully learned his lesson).

    As you know, I'm a HUGE Hansen fan. I wonder if the fidgeting with him in the morning of dyeing and un-dyeing got him got him too hyped and affected his race. He might have been better if not fooled with that day (in that manner, at least). He was hot in the post parade.



  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr. 23, 2004
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    965

    Default

    I'm of two minds about the circus I saw yesterday. I'll probably never have a horse like Hansen much less a homebred like that sharing my name so I can't begin to imagine what its like.

    But they are trying to climb the Mt Everest of horse racing with this horse. A little professionalism might be a good idea at this point. Good grief stop trying to put food coloring on him.



  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug. 2, 2001
    Location
    Ft Worth, TX, USA
    Posts
    3,811

    Default

    I certainly admire Hansen as a race horse, but he's never been in my "top 5". Hope I don't have to eat my words, but yesterday just confirmed my trifecta placing. I'll put him 3rd.
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

    What's the status on Tuco?



  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan. 24, 2000
    Location
    Bolton Valley, Vermont USA
    Posts
    706

    Default Hansen?

    Hi All,
    While yesterday's circus didn't help him, I think Hansen just lost the race. I'm starting to have this terrible suspicion that he might be a long sprinter. And, this was my Derby horse! I don't think he'll get the 1 1/4 mile of the Derby.

    Despite the magnificent effort from Bodemeister (which was a beauty to see), I'll stick with Take Charge Indy. I thought the Florida Derby field was a tough one and Indy just gutted it out. Provided, of course, he doesn't get crushed by the crowd in the KD. When will they drop the number of entrants from 20 to 15 or even 14 again? This playing to owner's egos just messes with the Triple Crown.

    Hallie McEvoy
    Racing Dreams, LLC



  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr. 4, 2007
    Posts
    836

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by haligator View Post
    Hi All,
    While yesterday's circus didn't help him, I think Hansen just lost the race. I'm starting to have this terrible suspicion that he might be a long sprinter. And, this was my Derby horse! I don't think he'll get the 1 1/4 mile of the Derby.

    I agree. I like Hansen....he's an awesome horse and really talented but I don't think he's going to like the 1 1/4 miles. If he can relax and rate, he might be able to do it. But I doubt it.

    That said, I'm having a hard time picking my Derby horse. I like Gemologist, Take Charge Indy, I'll Have Another, and Dullahan sure looked strong yesterday. I also like Union Rags but I have a feeling that he's not going to win.

    What does everyone think of Bodemeister? Is he really a monster like he looked yesterday or will he bounce in the Derby?



  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun. 30, 2011
    Posts
    1,141

    Default

    I'd watch out for Alpha.



  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan. 24, 2000
    Location
    Bolton Valley, Vermont USA
    Posts
    706

    Default Bodemeister

    Quote Originally Posted by ravenclaw View Post
    I agree. I like Hansen....he's an awesome horse and really talented but I don't think he's going to like the 1 1/4 miles. If he can relax and rate, he might be able to do it. But I doubt it.

    That said, I'm having a hard time picking my Derby horse. I like Gemologist, Take Charge Indy, I'll Have Another, and Dullahan sure looked strong yesterday. I also like Union Rags but I have a feeling that he's not going to win.

    What does everyone think of Bodemeister? Is he really a monster like he looked yesterday or will he bounce in the Derby?
    Hi Raven,
    Somehow I feel Bodemeister is an improving horse who just found his wings and liked it. I don't think he will bounce in the Derby, but the question is - will he get running room?

    Hallie



  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun. 18, 2007
    Posts
    3,896

    Default

    I was at Oaklawn yesterday, and Bodemeister did not look or act spent out afterward. I think he's just learning what to do with his talent at the right time.



  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec. 5, 2004
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    1,232

    Default

    As much I hate bad names (Daddy Nose Best should not be on a Derby glass) and garish jockey silks, for some reason I didn't really mind a blue and white tail. Half the attendance at Keeneland is UK students and I am sure they would have loved it. Letting owners who are spending tremendous amounts of money have some fun here and there would be a good thing - I remember the backlash against Baffert when he was putting trophies on his head and quoting Austin Powers during the Triple Crown, but I thought that was fun and entertaining on TV...a lot better than some snobby, crusty old trainer giving the same old interview!

    I absolutely do not think having a tail dyed would upset Hansen. Being white, he probably had a bath and tail wash anyway morning of the race and they are all used to being groomed extensively.



  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec. 5, 2004
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    1,232

    Default

    I was at Keeneland yesterday so heard no TVG coverage and did not know the full story about Dr. Hansen wanting the tail re dyed a second time after finding out he would not be scratched....that is getting a bit nuts and out of routine for the horse and I do not agree with that! My above post was about dying it the first time....



  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov. 3, 2000
    Location
    lexington ky
    Posts
    806

    Default

    I agree with alot of what has been said,

    This is Keeneland, a bit of class is expected from the owners and trainers and grooms. I am too old school for the stunts pulled. He may be spending money in teh sport, bringing attention, however, there is a bit of professionalism needed. Especially when at the top.

    Next lets leave the scanty clad, rent a hoe, to the college kids who were barely dressed and looking like they show go to platinum plus anyway. Those girls in the paddock area were an insult I thought. No need to privates both below and above to be shown.

    While Dr Hansen has made his way with an homebred, class and professionalism will go a bit further than the circus will.

    Just my thoughts



  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul. 19, 2007
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    10,061

    Default

    Oh, for heaven's sake. Hair color is silly but if THIS gets everyone's knickers in a twist, maybe racing is as passe as people say it is. Get a grip. The guy's interesting and spending a lot of money and getting a lot of media attention because he loves the sport and is having fun. Better that than endless stories about OMG THERE ARE TBS WHO NEED HOMES RACING IS CRUEL THEY ALL GET SLAUGHTERED. A few go to slaughter. So do lots of horses no one wants. Not news, not the publicity it needs. Stewards flipping their wigs over a half-blue tail just makes the sport look like something only uptight old money WASPs do. (And clearly they are not used to working with children and teenagers. When it's stupid but completely harmless, let them do it, ignore it, and they stop doing it.)

    More importantly...think Hansen is a miler at heart? He is going over a mile and finishing all right, but he does not appear to really have gas in the tank for farther.



  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar. 8, 2006
    Location
    Southeast Pennsylvania
    Posts
    2,526

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    Oh, for heaven's sake. Hair color is silly but if THIS gets everyone's knickers in a twist, maybe racing is as passe as people say it is. Get a grip. The guy's interesting and spending a lot of money and getting a lot of media attention because he loves the sport and is having fun. Better that than endless stories about OMG THERE ARE TBS WHO NEED HOMES RACING IS CRUEL THEY ALL GET SLAUGHTERED. A few go to slaughter. So do lots of horses no one wants. Not news, not the publicity it needs. Stewards flipping their wigs over a half-blue tail just makes the sport look like something only uptight old money WASPs do. (And clearly they are not used to working with children and teenagers. When it's stupid but completely harmless, let them do it, ignore it, and they stop doing it.)

    More importantly...think Hansen is a miler at heart? He is going over a mile and finishing all right, but he does not appear to really have gas in the tank for farther.
    WASP's? We are a dying breed and a minority. Clearly, we need to bring back culture, manners, & tradition.

    Nothing wrong with being a WASP. Too bad I'm not of the "old money" WASP's. It would suit me just fine.



  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun. 25, 2001
    Posts
    2,545

    Default

    I like the dyed tail. I think it gets the attention of non-racing people and casual fans, and we really need them right now -- especially the young ones. Let them have some fun and get people excited.
    "If you can't feed 'em, don't breed 'em."



  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul. 22, 2008
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    2,034

    Default

    Agree with everything DOI said.... including Hansen being a miler. I've been of that mind for quite a while. Now watch him win the triple crown.
    bar.ka think u al.l. susp.ect
    free bar.ka and tidy rabbit



  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jul. 19, 2007
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    10,061

    Default

    Oh, please. The Royal Family are less snotty and elitist than some of these people (and probably a lot more fun at parties.) If you want the image of racing to be "snooty country-club rich people who don't like 'new money' and buy and sell million-dollar horses like little kids swap Pokemon cards vs. 'blue-collar needle-weilding trainers, illegal immigrant grooms and scuzzy annoying gamblers we try to keep in the riff-raff section away from cameras" then fine, hold your nose and stomp on any 'new money' who dares to be thrilled when his horse wins, wants to do something silly but UTTERLY HARMLESS TO THE HORSE (the important one here) and has the umitigated gall to try and get new fans excited about his horse and racing. Sniff and sneer and get the vapors over those awful people from the partnerships (after THAT thread I'm going to scrape up money to buy into LRF Racing just to spite people around here, and wear obnoxious hats with my horse's name on it.) Just don't be surprised when Aqueduct's a parking lot and New York's eyeing up Belmont next, Maryland gives up on trying to keep Pimlico open, and even more of the Kentucky and Florida farms are shopping malls and subdivisions.

    If you want a sport where people's biggest issue is what fork you start with and whether Muffy should be wearing that skirt and should Buffy have REALLY paired THAT Coach bag with THOSE Jimmy Choos, maybe try the A/O ring at the winter hunter circuit. Don't wanter to the unrated rings, though, the sight of someone doing 2'6" in a showbow might be shocking.

    Rubyfree--lol, from your lips to God's ears! I'll taken a shocking win by Hansen over having to look at Bodemeister's name in the record books. Besides, sometimes I don't mind being proven wrong.



  17. #17
    Join Date
    Mar. 8, 2006
    Location
    Southeast Pennsylvania
    Posts
    2,526

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    Oh, please. The Royal Family are less snotty and elitist than some of these people (and probably a lot more fun at parties.) If you want the image of racing to be "snooty country-club rich people who don't like 'new money' and buy and sell million-dollar horses like little kids swap Pokemon cards vs. 'blue-collar needle-weilding trainers, illegal immigrant grooms and scuzzy annoying gamblers we try to keep in the riff-raff section away from cameras" then fine, hold your nose and stomp on any 'new money' who dares to be thrilled when his horse wins, wants to do something silly but UTTERLY HARMLESS TO THE HORSE (the important one here) and has the umitigated gall to try and get new fans excited about his horse and racing. Sniff and sneer and get the vapors over those awful people from the partnerships (after THAT thread I'm going to scrape up money to buy into LRF Racing just to spite people around here, and wear obnoxious hats with my horse's name on it.) Just don't be surprised when Aqueduct's a parking lot and New York's eyeing up Belmont next, Maryland gives up on trying to keep Pimlico open, and even more of the Kentucky and Florida farms are shopping malls and subdivisions.

    If you want a sport where people's biggest issue is what fork you start with and whether Muffy should be wearing that skirt and should Buffy have REALLY paired THAT Coach bag with THOSE Jimmy Choos, maybe try the A/O ring at the winter hunter circuit. Don't wanter to the unrated rings, though, the sight of someone doing 2'6" in a showbow might be shocking.

    Rubyfree--lol, from your lips to God's ears! I'll taken a shocking win by Hansen over having to look at Bodemeister's name in the record books. Besides, sometimes I don't mind being proven wrong.
    Good heavens! You certainly have a lot of issues.

    I don't know anyone such as you have described. I think they only exist in the movies.



  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jul. 19, 2007
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    10,061

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dispatcher View Post
    Good heavens! You certainly have a lot of issues.

    I don't know anyone such as you have described. I think they only exist in the movies.
    Funny, a whole bunch of them have been posting in this and the Road thread because OMG STOP HAVING FUN DR HANSEN. And OMG THOSE AWFUL PARTNERSHIP PEOPLE WHO DON'T EVEN KNOW THEIR HORSE. And OMG PEOPLE WHO AREN'T DRESSED LIKE IT'S THE ROYAL BOX AT ASCOT! The vapors are absurd. It's entirely possible to be wealthy and dignified without a pathological need to stomp down on anything that doesn't look like Sunday brunch at the country club. (Honestly, the Houston lady I met at a country-club wedding, who once fed John Henry a carrot--since he sniffed her without trying to take her arm off his groom decided John liked her--would just have found Dr. Hansen amusing, but would have appreciated that he clearly loves his horse and loves the whole deal.) The wailing and screaming every time someone doesn't approach it like they were trying to get in the Social Register ca. 1890 is a bit much.

    Is a blue tail silly? Yes. So is a human dyeing their hair blue. Is it in any way harmful or dangerous to Hansen? No. Does it in any way obscure his identity, which is the purpose and wording of the rule? No. He probably can't even tell anything's different. Is it "disrespectful"? It's a horse race, not Christmas-Eve Mass at the Vatican. Saying no makes the officials look uptight and blindly rule-adherent, getting angry at Dr Hansen for daring to even THINK of it the way some people are makes those people look like Rose's mother in Titanic wondering if the lifeboats will be seated according to class-nouveau-riche snobs hung up on entirely the wrong issue.



  19. #19
    Join Date
    Aug. 14, 2000
    Location
    Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt
    Posts
    17,648

    Default

    danceronice, you're being ridiculous. One of the first things many "new rich" do is get into horses, whether racing or showing, because of the cachet. Horse sports need those people.

    As to the complaints about the college students and their dress and behavior, well, they SHOULD grow up and behave like decent people instead of hooligans. But many of them would act the same way no matter what event they went to. Spring Break antics, anyone?
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire



  20. #20
    Join Date
    Mar. 8, 2006
    Location
    Southeast Pennsylvania
    Posts
    2,526

    Default

    Titanic? Just as I thought. You've been watching too many movies.......



Similar Threads

  1. Yesterdays Races
    By tradewind in forum Racing
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: Oct. 8, 2012, 08:05 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last Post: Sep. 24, 2012, 09:34 PM
  3. Zirocco Blue [Mr. Blue x Voltaire x Le Tot de Semilly] Fans!
    By Prima Equestrian in forum Sport Horse Breeding
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: Apr. 27, 2012, 08:20 PM
  4. Replies: 27
    Last Post: Nov. 11, 2010, 06:27 AM
  5. Sugar greater in cut/short grass or tall grass?
    By TrotTrotPumpkn in forum Horse Care
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: May. 28, 2010, 09:59 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
randomness