The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Are there any books - auto/biographies or fiction - dealing w/ experiences w/ life on the A circuit? I'm starting my Christmas shopping, and I bet it's a long shot, but I know someone who would love such a book!

Member of the drafties/drafties X clique!

Virginia and North Carolina, Parrothead Clique!

National to National, a Year on the Show Jumping Circuit, by David Hollis. It covers 1991, so it is a bit dated, but most of the people featured are still involved in the sport in some way.

A Very Young Rider is great too for young or old. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Custom Needlepoint Belts

"The Year of The Horse" by Eric Hatch - it's the book that the Disney movie "The Horse In The Gray Flannel Suit" was based on - but the book is better, funnier, and still pretty accurate today in a lot of respects!

"The Show Gypsies" - can't remember author's name, might it be Leslie Baird??

Do a search on Off Course for "books" - you will get loads of ideas.

Member: TB Clique, Georgia Clique, Rust TS Clique, Willem FC, DIY Clique, Ebayers Anonymous Clique, Reads Forums At Work Clique, Lawn Ornaments For Life Clique, Jigging Clique
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Thanks! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Heheh - she (and I!) already have A Very Young Rider! Such a great little book - it's where my love of Paint coloured horses started [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Just curious - would a recent book about life on the A Circuit be something that you think people would actually be interested in?

Of course - need you even ask???

Member: TB Clique, Georgia Clique, Rust TS Clique, Willem FC, DIY Clique, Ebayers Anonymous Clique, Reads Forums At Work Clique, Lawn Ornaments For Life Clique, Jigging Clique
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

what was the name of that one that came out several years ago....maybe early to mid 90's? It was life on the circuit-pretty darn trashy....graphic lesbian scenes....dang---it passed through the barn like crazy.

Not exactly for young kids.... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

"Fear the goat from the front, the horse from the rear, and man from all sides." .....russian proverb

Monalisa - yes! Are you going to write one for us? Please?

Whatever I end up finding for my friend, she is going to have to let me borrow when she's done [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] I don't think there are nearly enough books to meet interest levels!

BTW - the person I'm looking for these books for is in her 20s, so trashy suggestions are fine [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] Hehehe!

The first is a novel similar to RIDERS only based here in the US. The "pitch blurb" on it is:

Handsome Is - Not since Riders has there been a novel for all the horse crazy teens who grew into horse crazy, book- buying adults! This Adult novel tells the story of Susan, an overweight middle-aged woman who finds the confidence to leave a loveless marriage and regain her self esteem by helping develop the remarkable jumping talents
    of an unattractive Appaloosa lesson horse. This book realistically reflects the world of contemporary horse shows and the people who live their lives on the road following the “A” circuit - complete with scandals, “dirty deals”, friendships, intimacies and good hearted camaraderie.

The book is not a "Romance" novel in tone nor is it a YA novel for adults. It is set at such horse shows as Devon, the WEF circuit, sevral New England "A" shows and Indoors and focusses on show ring hunters and like RIDERS is fairly mature in the way ot approaches life on the circuit.

The second book is a Non-Fiction piece called:

Born To Ride: Junior Riders and the “A” Horse Show Circuit - Candid discussions with over 30 of today’s top winning young riders and their parents frankly examining, in human terms, what is gained and lost by those young riders who follow the circuit. Readers will get to know the “pony jockeys”, the catch riders, the Big Eq kids and hear from former junior riders about “life after the junior years”. The piece will have strong human interest appeal along with practical information about how people actually manage things like budget, school issues, non-riding siblings and finding a healthy balance to it all.

I have been pitching both books to publishers for the past 6 months and actually had some interest in Born To Ride until the Editor left the company! Handsome Is is complete and Born to Ride is 80% done. Maybe they'll be available for Xmas NEXT year! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

PonyFan - wow! Good for you! I would definitely read both of those, and know tons of people who would! I hope you find a publisher soon so they'll be out ASAP! Awesome!!

And make sure you let us know when it all happens! Good luck [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

In fact in my "pitch" letter I even direct them to this Board so that they can see the discussions on people looking for books with this subject matter... Hey, maybe the Chronicle would want to serialize them - it worked for Dickens and Twain!

It's a documentary about a bunch of trust fund kids, and Georgina Bloomberg is interviewed in it. I don't know her riding is mentioned.

you can take the girl outta NY, but ya can't take NY outta the girl

When your books do get published be sure to post the latest info here.
    I have a book about the Hampton Classic, called "The Classic Experience". It's more of a coffee table book, than a good read. I wasdisappointed that they left out some of the key divisions, but they did focus on some locals, and some people that are big, and some who I have no clue about.

to err is human, to whinny, Equine
    to err is human, to whinny, Equine.
    Ebay-aholic! Carolina clique, BITS AND BARTER BOARD BUDDY
    EYEGLASSES MISSIONS FOR ARMENIA-send me your old glasses!

I have a book that came out a couple of years ago, "In the Irons" its a photographic tribute to the circuit and it too is more like a coffee table book. But they did a nice job on it.

I LOVE a Very Young Rider. Still have it and I am in my 30's.

LMH - House Rules by Heather Lewis

Rose

I can't wait!!!! I'll buy them both!!!!

Founder of the mighty Thoroughbred Clique!

Resident racing historian
    F O.B
    Resident racing historian ~~~ Re-riders Clique
    Founder of the Mighty Thoroughbred Clique

Thank you-been beating my head over that....

"Fear the goat from the front, the horse from the rear, and man from all sides." .....russian proverb

I read a blurb about Tami Hoag's book Dark Horse that is supposed to be all about WEF. Anyone read it yet? I have it on reserve.

So Intent Guest

Three older books, that were absolutely wonderful if you can find them, all by Jean Slaughter Doty
    - The Monday Horses - young female narrator, pony rider for a top barn, talks about drugging on the circuit.
    -The Crumb - young female narrator, has a nice pony, i believe it deals with insurance scandals and nerving, not positive, a sad but good book.
    -Dark Horse - again, young female narrator, "poor" by horse standards, works at a barn and gets a chance at a problem horse.

All wonderful books, I love them to death, will buy them if I can ever find them.