The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Camden this week

Hello all! I am heading down to Camden, SC to show this week and am super excited. I have never been there and am looking for some advice on where to eat, places to shop, and things to do (I know there isn't much! haha). Anyone else going to be there?
    There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the
    inside of a man.

-Sir Winston Churchill

Unfortunately, Camden is not a hotbed of night life and culture. It is a very cute little town that is having a hard time sparking life back into it's downtown. If it ever happens, it will be great! (This is coming from someone who has spent a few winters there).

Shopping, the Tack Room is THE BEST TACK SHOP EVER. So go there. Otherwise, not much else is there.

Eating wise, there are a couple of good restaurants downtown, but forgive me, as I can't remember their names. I've eaten at one several times...on a side street off the main drag in town, and it is very good. I want to say it's called something like Panama Jack's...but I am fairly certain that's not it! There is also a very fun little place outside of Camden that is in an old general store. Again, can't remember the name!!! Sorry You can probably google and get some ideas.

There isn't much else to do. It's a boring little town (sorry, Camden folks). I would drive into Columbia if I wanted something to do.

Quote Originally Posted by yellowbritches View Post
    Shopping, the Tack Room is THE BEST TACK SHOP EVER. So go there.
    Scenes from "Something to Talk About" were filmed in that tack store.

I was going to mention The Tack Room as well. Don't miss it!

Make sure you hit the Tack Room on any day but Sunday since they will be closed!

I hope the turnout this week is better than last week. I was going to head up there to watch the derby last Friday but the entries were lacking, boo .

Either way, the venue is gorgeous and its a well managed show. I usually stick to Chili's or order pizza when in Camden.. hoping the revenue generated in Kershaw Country from all of the shows sparks some life into the historic town!
    Footnote
    Miss Money Penny
    Fuerst Class
    Monroe

Is the show at the facility that's right down the street from Danny Robertshaw's place?

I am beyond bummed that I didn't make it to The Tack Room last weekend. Maybe on the way to Aiken?

Anyway, Mr. Limerick recommends Sam Kendall's-said the food and service were wonderful. We ate at Old Armory steak house and I had the best Mediterranean pasta I have ever had.

Enjoy Camden! We will definitely be going back next year.

MHM, I was told Ron and Danny's is across the road from the show facility.

Quote Originally Posted by Limerick View Post
    MHM, I was told Ron and Danny's is across the road from the show facility.
    Thanks. I wasn't sure if I was thinking of the right place. The show facility used to be called something else. Westfall, maybe?

Camden House of Pizza...right down the road from the Tack Room!

12th floor of the Acme building in a city that knows how to keep it's secrets.

LOL! Indigo Jones is the name of the restaurant you are thinking of, yellowbritches, and is excellent. Sam Kendall's is very good, too. That's it as far as in town better places to eat. The Old Armory Steakhouse seems a bit generic to me, but I've only eaten there once. Indigo Jones and the steak house are right across the street from each other. Camden House of Pizza is right around the corner a couple blocks, but the Tack Room is a couple miles out to the edge of town. Not like it's a big trip, but it's not walking distance. Well worth a visit and they have so much other stuff besides the normal tack shop fare. You could do some early Christmas shopping for all your horsey friends there.

MHM, it is the old Westfall place, practically across the street from Danny's.
    You will not rise to the occasion, you will default to your level of training.

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

La Fiesta has great food and giant frozen drinks if you're in the mood for mexican
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm